Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paolo Maldini

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member

Paolo Maldini

The legend deserves his own thread.
    • Maldini reveals quit plans
      Tuesday 21 November, 2006
      Milan captain Paolo Maldini is set to retire from football at the end of the season, according to the latest reports in Italy.

The Rossoneri symbol is in his 23rd campaign with the club, a new record in Italian football as the previous best was Silvio Piola’s 22, but it may also be his last.

Maldini, who will turn 39 next year, is still suffering with knee problems which haven’t been solved by the surgery he had in Belgium at the end of the last campaign.

“Things are not going well,” said the captain to some friends, according to Il Corriere dello Sport. “Both knees hurt and it isn’t easy to train this way.

“I have played some good matches recently, but the situation is not that positive for the future. At this point in time I think I will retire at the end of this season,” added the Rossonero.

The legendary stopper has made 591 appearances in Serie A so far, winning seven Scudetti with Milan.

He was capped 126 times by the Nazionale over 14 years, an all-time record in Italy, ending his Azzurri career on June 18, 2002, in the 2-1 World Cup defeat against South Korea.

Maldini has not yet decided on what he will do after he hangs up his boots, but he doesn’t seem keen on following his father’s example and becoming a Coach.

“To say the truth, I haven’t thought of what I will do after I stop playing football,” Maldini has stated in the past. “But in any case it’s too early to think about it.”

(channel4)

Maldini confirms retirement idea
      Tuesday 21 November, 2006
      Paolo Maldini has confirmed this morning’s reports that this may be his last season as a professional footballer.

The Milan captain has been suffering with knee problems for some time and stories on Tuesday claimed he would end his extraordinary career after 23 seasons with the Rossoneri.

“Everything is going fine at the moment,” noted Maldini, a seven time Serie A winner, to Milan Channel.

“I am playing with continuity and that is what I planned on doing at the start of this campaign. I am very happy.

“But I am not thinking about renewing my contract next year. If I were to think about June now then I could consider quitting.

“However, I may change my mind in the meantime. Many other things might happen, but at this time in the season I admit that I am considering such an option.

“In June I will turn 39 which is a fairly considerable age for a footballer, but I don’t want to think about that problem now.

“I am trying not to think about the renewal and the possibility of retiring. The will to continue doing my job at my best is what allows me to remain at these high levels,” concluded Maldini.

Italy’s most capped player, thanks to his 126 games, is likely to play against AEK Athens in the Champions League this evening.

(channel4)
    Truth be told, I am shocked by this news. I thought that, prior to these interviews, Maldini has always told us that he would not be retiring at the end of the season; that he would continue for at least another one.

It's unarguable that Paolo is the biggest living legend in Serie A currently. I hope that he would reconsider his decision because I believe he is still much more capable than most Serie A defenders and his physique, despite his recent injuries, would allow him to continue playing well up to his 50s.

Wittman & Diavolo, what's your reaction to this? I think it would be disturbing for Milan to allow one of their greatest legends to retire on the back of one of their worst Serie A campaign, judging on current forn, over the last decade or so.

Btw, is Billy Costacurta retiring at the end of the season too?

Handyo

There's not much to add to this. Capitano's decision must be respected and he still left the door open but I guess he'll retire.

Actually I was kind of afraid that he will make shock announcement and retire one year before his contract ends, because those injury reports were highly questionable(always one more week till fitness and then suddenly another surgery). That time I lived through the pain and accepted the fact that one day he won't be on the field so ATM I'm not really that sad. Feeling is more like-"This is inevitable!"

Billy is thought to end his career too but we don't know what's in his mind. This seasons results affect greatly the decision too I guess. With bad results a big revolution is ahead of us and old-boys probably will make way for new ones. Thenagain with Great number 7 they can retire happily.

I just hope that they'll get to a better physical condition since they have been subbed in th 20-th minute or so. I remember last year Billy had to step up for away game vs Barca and we held them at Nou Camp. He did made mistakes but still he is the man.

Ahh...There are many things to say and they all end with a conclusion that Billy and Paolo are my heroes

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    I think it's better if he retires, he's a legend and shouldn't drag on too long, it's obvious that he can't play regularly anymore. If he retires together with Costacurta it's gonna be huge in Milan.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    He's perhaps one of the few Milan players I deeply like or respect. Sad to see him retire, but then he cant play on forever.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    Maldini, Weah

Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    It's unarguable that Paolo is the biggest living legend in Serie A currently. I hope that he would reconsider his decision because I believe he is still much more capable than most Serie A defenders and his physique, despite his recent injuries, would allow him to continue playing well up to his 50s.
    Well, as a Milanista what can I say more about him if every other fan, especially the rival ones, have the highest possible respect for him?! Grande Capitano

Although age isn't his ally anymore, he's still capable of playing on the highest level, not to mention his contribution as a team leader..Don't know what to say about the retirement, if he's really going to hang the boots at the end of the season, it'll definitely be one finished Milan era, new one will come..

Like Diavolo said, it's painful to see him leaving the field early in the match, injuries are serious problem cause it's obvious it affects his performance..I think he's aware of it and it is probably the reason No.1 for his possible retirement..

Sadly, our season is far from good, but it ain't over yet..If Paolo retires, I wish he do it with the CL thropy in his hands at least..
    MILAN A.C.

Spain

I can't, not respect this guy, after all this years even if he plays for Inter rivals, never mind. it would have been better retire last year, this year it's going to be a bad year for Milan and i'am sure all Maldini fans would like him to retire in a good moment for everybody.

As much as I hate all milan organization, Paolo Maldini is the legend. Respect to him, his professionalism and attitude to the game is exemplary. He might retire, but his legend will always stay
    MERDA ROSSONERA-TI ODIO

RISPETTO PER TUTTI...PIETA PER NESSUNO

PER L'HONORE DELLA MAGLIA SIAMO PRONTI ALLA BATTAGLIA

Vinci ad Atene, godi in Europa...torni in Italia e ti scopri un idiota -36

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    Only two players I respect (as a player and as a person) in Milan, the two legends below:

"Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, è la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Fav. Player
    Maldini, Weah

Croatia

An interesting article from channel4.com:
    Maldini could play on..

MILAN A.C.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Adnan
    Only two players I respect (as a player and as a person) in Milan, the two legends below:
    So what do you have against Baresi? (Franco I mean)
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RaD View Post
    Merda will get past Celtic but that's as far as they'll go. This isn't the Milan of past years.
    Milan Campioni d'Europa!

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by Diavolo
    So what do you have against Baresi? (Franco I mean)
    I think, when M.Adnan said that, he was only referring to Milan's current crop of players.

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    Han is always right.

And Diavolo if I was referring to Milan's ex-legends, I would say Cesare Maldini.
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, è la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Indonesia

And Gianni Rivera...

Some other more, like MVB, but I guess these are the few that stand up for me.

I kind of reacted at your(M.Adnan) post since every time a "legend" and "Milan" are mentioned in a same sentence I think of Baresi and Maldini. But I see your point. I do aknowledge other names that have been mentioned as legends too, but the others(apart from Billy) are legends through stories. Maldini and Baresi (Billy fades aside them only because of the greatness of the 3 and the 6. Billy comes to my mind when I think about the subject as a perfect soldier) are the ones I have grown up with.
    Merda will get past Celtic but that's as far as they'll go. This isn't the Milan of past years.
    Milan Campioni d'Europa!

Indonesia

Interesting how you mentioned those couple of numbers...

Diavolo (What is your real name btw?), do you think Milan should retired #3 when Paolo eventually decides to call an end to his career?

Handyo

Interesting how you mentioned those couple of numbers...

Diavolo (What is your real name btw?), do you think Milan should retired #3 when Paolo eventually decides to call an end to his career?

Handyo
    I don't know why I don't want to give my real name. I guess it's because you don't really need it.
    Should they retire it? No doubt. However from what I know they have already done it. Galliani once said it. Only person priviledged to get the 3 is Christian Maldini.
    Milan Campioni d'Europa!

Just finished watching "Paolo Maldini Il Film" for the 5-th time or something. And yet I don't speak Italian and have no subtitles.

(I swear on everything that's holy for me I am sober posting this fact)
    Milan Campioni d'Europa!

Indonesia

Mind sharing it with us? Or is it something you catch in TV/Cinema?

Handyo

Mind sharing it with us? Or is it something you catch in TV/Cinema?

Handyo
    It's a DVD that wasn't on sale when I finally got to San Siro so I downloaded it. There are some parts in youtube too. The following has my recommendation:
    Milan Campioni d'Europa!

Fav. Player
    Maldini, Weah

Croatia

Great clip..Pure class in every move he makes..

Nice signature btw..
    MILAN A.C.