Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hodgson

Australia

10 years of FIF

Roy Hodgson

Updated: Nov. 30, 2007

Hodgson quits Finland for Inter Milan

HELSINKI, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Roy Hodgson quit his role in charge of the Finland national team to take up a job working alongside Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti, the British coach said on Friday.

Hodgson, who twice coached the Serie A side in separate spells in the 1990s, said he had not ruled out the possibility of taking another post with a national team.

'If a national team wanted to have me they would have to be a) very quick and b) persuade the president to get rid of me before he even takes me on,' Hodgson told a news conference.

He said he would start at Inter in January.

Finland, who have never reached for a major soccer finals, finished a close fourth behind qualifiers Portugal and Poland in Euro 2008 qualifying Group A.

'We would have liked to keep Roy as the coach, he has done a fantastic job,' said football association president Pekka Hamalainen, adding that Hodgson would help choose a successor.

An Inter Milan spokeswoman said the club had no information on Hodgson rejoining the club but Italian media reports in recent months said the Englishman was in the frame for an upstairs role at the San Siro.

Coach Roberto Mancini led the side to a runaway title success last season and they are three points clear in Serie A this term.

President Massimo Moratti may feel he needs Hodgson to help with signing players and other background work.

Hodgson first coached Inter between 1995 and 1997 and then left the club again in 1999 after a short second stint in charge.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...486202&cc=3436

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Who is this guy? I never heard of him...what exactly is he supposed to do
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    JZ

I think he is the one who sold Roberto Carlos to Real

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Taiwan

I guess introduce us to some more Scandinavian players.
    I have no fuking idea

Fav. Player
    DEJAN DEKI STAN

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf19 View Post
    I guess introduce us to some more Scandinavian players.
    I have no fuking idea

..i think he is Welsh...but im with you...instead of giving that money to Rivas,Balzonni,Fatic,Filkor etc Moratti dangles a carrot to this man..

Roy Hodgson will phuck around between Inter and his next NT appointment...could be a media stunt to lift his profile in serious terms...Inter is worth exploiting

maybe im being harsh...Moratti can buy 500 Roys...so let him do it...instead of eating better and putting on weight he makes others fat...typical Moratti
    "And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy",

Australia

10 years of FIF
    Not only did he sell Carlos to Real Madrid, he also played him out of position for the duration of the season that Roberto Carlos was at Inter.

I remember an interview where Roberto specifically stated that he had never been utilised in midfield before and Hodgson was the only coach in his career to play him as a left wingman.

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I remember his time with us as he is and was a charismatic figure. Hence I don’t see much wrong with his appointment. He is a nice man and pretty much respected in the world of football. As long as he doesn’t get involved in any coaching strategies then I’m ok with him being part of the club.

Only 2 weeks ago Roy (as a pundit on tv) was talking so positive about our club and the fact that he will always have a soft spot for our team and so on. I guess back then he had already been approached by Moratti & co and also knew about his decision to join us again. Anyway he is good guy and as far as I remember have always had positive things to say about us. So all in all not a bad move….
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by J zanetti View Post
    He is a nice man and pretty much respected in the world of football. As long as he doesnít get involved in any coaching strategies then Iím ok with him being part of the club.
    Exactly! He is nice and has a charisma, but coaching isn't his strongest skill. Maybe we can use him to enhance our image in the English speaking world.

Fav. Player
    Adriano, Recoba

Quote Originally Posted by Hammoudi View Post
    Exactly! He is nice and has a charisma, but coaching isn't his strongest skill. Maybe we can use him to enhance our image in the English speaking world.
    We didn't hire him as a coach, we hired him as a consultant to Moratti, and maybe an International represantive.
    GRANDE INTER, Amore Mio!

Dear Santa, the past year, you took my favorite singer, Michael Jackson and my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze.
    I want you to know for the next year, that Milan is my favorite oldie, and Juventus is my favorite bitch.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Hmm... At least he won't be the coach of the team He might help a bit with relations with the English, not that we don't already have good relations! We already play a series of pre-season games there. I hope Moratti won't bring us loads of EPL 'stars' because of this.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Taiwan

on a side note, does he have any scouting talents or personal relationship with any players (whom we might be trying to get)??

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    I hope he brings something new to our back room staff.
    Best match thread opener ever.

Spain

he comes to sell maxwell to milan in exchange for favagol
    (kidding )

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Thats a pathetic joke..
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Quote Originally Posted by J zanetti View Post
    I remember his time with us as he is and was a charismatic figure. Hence I donít see much wrong with his appointment. He is a nice man and pretty much respected in the world of football. As long as he doesnít get involved in any coaching strategies then Iím ok with him being part of the club.

Only 2 weeks ago Roy (as a pundit on tv) was talking so positive about our club and the fact that he will always have a soft spot for our team and so on. I guess back then he had already been approached by Moratti & co and also knew about his decision to join us again. Anyway he is good guy and as far as I remember have always had positive things to say about us. So all in all not a bad moveÖ.

hadn't seen this thread here so we discussed it in the Mancini thread..

Hodgson is excellent when it comes to building structures for federations and such stuff. As an example, he was responsible for the Swiss youth programme and right now Switzerland has a team with mainly players playing abroad and in general a pretty strong team(at least in relative terms for football history of them and everything else).
    He is a guy who really knows football and he has good work ethics, which is important for today's football, so overall, i see it as a positive move too, specially if he doesn't get involved in coaching and everything.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    DEJAN DEKI STAN

ive taken your comments on board Mehdi and believe you me i havent any animosity towards Roy H...

My personal opinion is that we need people that could bring us players...Carlos Qeiroz for example and the thing he is doing with Man Utd

Bring in some young cat that has pulling powers and who can bring talent to Inter...not that Quiroz i a young cat

someone that has time to watch the youth euro and South American and world youth cups...that has time to watch and follow talent

Josep Guardioala was at Inter 6 months ago...i was honestly expecting like a scouting position for individuals like him for Inter.

I know Roy and i would relate him to Leo Baenhaker..these people are more international than club football people

if we were going along those lines id rather go for Carlos Bilardo or Carlos Pacheme in the same position and they woud bring that influx of young and talented Argentinians to Inter for example..

And still we dont really know what Roys capacity will be at Inter ?

Moratti is paying him so good luck and lets see what he can bring to Inter

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

benny, Pep has his heart and soul and everything else only with 1 club and that's Barca.
    I still don't understand what he did all those late years in Italy. I guess he went there to improve his italian or whatever else..hehehehe
    He was only waiting to join Barca at some level. The janitor was taken, so he coaches Barca B.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by UhUhOleguer View Post
    hadn't seen this thread here so we discussed it in the Mancini thread..

Hodgson is excellent when it comes to building structures for federations and such stuff. As an example, he was responsible for the Swiss youth programme and right now Switzerland has a team with mainly players playing abroad and in general a pretty strong team(at least in relative terms for football history of them and everything else).
    He is a guy who really knows football and he has good work ethics, which is important for today's football, so overall, i see it as a positive move too, specially if he doesn't get involved in coaching and everything.
    Interesting info about his work with the Swiss, Mehdi!
    It will be interesting to see what his exact role behind the scen will be. Anyhow Roy better work hard for the money uncle Moratti is about to pay him
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Fav. Player
    DEJAN DEKI STAN

Quote Originally Posted by UhUhOleguer View Post
    benny, Pep has his heart and soul and everything else only with 1 club and that's Barca.
    I still don't understand what he did all those late years in Italy. I guess he went there to improve his italian or whatever else..hehehehe
    He was only waiting to join Barca at some level. The janitor was taken, so he coaches Barca B.

imagine the Barca kids @ Inter...if Pep was like some others it would be possible..all my theories on Messi were based around Pep and the day he was at Inter for a function or something.

and i didnt know he was the coach of Barca B? nice

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco View Post
    imagine the Barca kids @ Inter...if Pep was like some others it would be possible..all my theories on Messi were based around Pep and the day he was at Inter for a function or something.

and i didnt know he was the coach of Barca B? nice
    well, if you want that, you would have to get Uncle Johann. He was responsible for La Masia as it is today. He set out the foundations based on the Ajax model. The reason so many players made their breakthrough(and a couple of others didn't and went abroad like Cesc, Fran Merida, Pique etc.) is because he laid down the scouting system, the game plan(all Barca youth teams play more or less the same style) and everything else.
    That's why as an example you see these younger players coming up and finding it easy to get used to the first team.

Big Daddy Kane
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games