Thread: Marion Jones sentenced to prison

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Cre

Mexico

Marion Jones sentenced to prison

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite beseeching the judge that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."

"I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be,'' said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced.

The disgraced former Olympic champion was ordered to surrender March 11 to begin her term.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under her plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship."

"Athletes in society have an elevated status, they entertain, they inspire, and perhaps, most important, they serve as role models," Karas said.

Later Friday, the judge sentenced Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, to 5 years and 3 months in prison for his role in the check-fraud scam, less than what the sentencing guidelines recommended. Riddick also was given three years' probation and must pay back $375,000.

The 31-year-old Jones also was given two years' probation and supervised release, during which she will be required to perform 800 hours of community service.

"As everyone can imagine, I'm very disappointed today," Jones told reporters outside court. "But as I stood in front of all of you for years in victory, I stand in front of you today. I stand for what is right."

"I respect the judge's order, and I truly hope that people will learn from my mistakes," added Jones.

The judge said this would take advantage of Jones' "eloquence, strength and her ability to work with kids."

It was her children that worried Jones most as she implored the judge for a lighter sentence, talking at length about her two boys, including the infant son she's still nursing.

"My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes."

The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports.

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery, Riddick and several others have been convicted in that scam.

"The revelation that one of the sport's biggest stars took performance-enhancing drugs and repeatedly lied about it, in addition to being a party to fraud, has no silver lining," USA Track & Field president Bill Roe and CEO Craig Masback said in a statement. "But, it is a vivid morality play that graphically illustrates the wages of cheating in any facet of life, on or off the track."

After her guilty pleas last October, Jones made an apologetic and teary-eyed statement outside court, saying, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust."

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," she added. "I have let [my family] down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. ... I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative founder Victor Conte, who served four months in prison after pleading guilty to operating a steroids distribution ring, said Friday he felt sad for Jones and her family.

"Marion did make some very poor choices, and she does deserve serious consequences. I certainly don't condone her repeated lies," Conte said in a statement. "There is no doubt in my mind that she has learned gigantic lessons. Hopefully, she will be able to serve as an example and help others to make good decisions."

Jones returned her Olympic medals -- golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronzes in the long jump and 400-meter relay -- even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so and wiped her results from the books.

She was among the many athletes who testified in 2003 before a grand jury investigating BALCO. And on the day she pleaded guilty, prosecutors said a 2003 search warrant at BALCO uncovered ledgers, purchases, doping calendars, and various blood-test results connected to Jones and former coach Trevor Graham.

She took EPO, human growth hormone and THG using drops and injections, according to the court documents that show use in 2000 and 2001.

"Today's sentencing is illustrative of just how far-reaching and serious the consequences of cheating can be,'' U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Jim Scherr said in a statement. "The fact that an athlete with so much talent and promise, who so many people looked up to, made the decision to cheat is a terrible disappointment.''
    Well and in the end...justice?

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Light sentence. Should have gotten at least a years jail time for the fraud.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

this is getting beyond ridiculous..

alright she doped.....daaah....
    lewis doped too, armstrong doped too, bonds doped, mcgwire was doped, flojo doped.....effing hell...let her alone!
    I heard UNC kicked her out from their basketball hall of fame or whatever...what's next?? kick her out of the country?
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Cre

Mexico

She get a deal with fiscals but yes, is so light the sentence...

Lewis? doped?.....

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Everybody makes mistakes...at least she had the balls to admit them in the end infront of the whole country and her family....i dont really care anyways...i havent heard about here in a LONG time and last time i saw here she was a champ....its an eye opener really as she was a freaking millionaire and now she has nothing...all because of some drugs she thought of talking.

Fav. Player
    Alvaro Recoba

10 years of FIF
    Lesson of the day, don't be a JuBe.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Khaled View Post
    Everybody makes mistakes...at least she had the balls to admit them in the end infront of the whole country and her family....i dont really care anyways...i havent heard about here in a LONG time and last time i saw here she was a champ....its an eye opener really as she was a freaking millionaire and now she has nothing...all because of some drugs she thought of talking.
    She only admitted it when she was going to be exposed. Had the prosecutors not nailed her ass she wasn't going to admit.
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Oh ok didnt know that....fuk her then...i hate cheaters.

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

The issue here is not the doping. You don't get jailtime for taking steroids. Apparantly she lied to federal investigators about the check fraud scam her husband at the time was involved in. Six months in jail. Sounds fair IMO.
    Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.

Dr. Napoleon Hill

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

I think we all know why she is sentenced...the problem I have is the incredible hypocrasy and the fact that they kicked her out of UNC hall of fame...as if she doped at college too.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

damn druggo.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Taiwan

wow... stunning news

Fav. Player
    RONALDO (the re

Australia

good news but not the proper way of dealing with it

jailing a mother with 2 kids isnt the right message you send out

if jail time is what you get, how many other atheletes are going to come out and admit it?
    http://i47.tinypic.com/106hq42.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Boys San Interista View Post
    Money where Sandrodiosi easily had could wipe the ass of azz off, till it was glimming again.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    he was one win away from a treble, so i wouldn't argue with his testicle oriented man-management techniques

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by cloudq View Post
    good news but not the proper way of dealing with it

jailing a mother with 2 kids isnt the right message you send out

if jail time is what you get, how many other atheletes are going to come out and admit it?
    It's not just the doping. It's the fact that she lied twice. She denied taking the drugs and also lied about the check fraud. Yeah she's a great example one her kids should look up.

Her sentence is lenient considering the lies.
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    RONALDO (the re

Australia

lenient yes

deserving? yes

but right message? no
    http://i47.tinypic.com/106hq42.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Boys San Interista View Post
    Money where Sandrodiosi easily had could wipe the ass of azz off, till it was glimming again.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    he was one win away from a treble, so i wouldn't argue with his testicle oriented man-management techniques

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Look at it this way.....it's more or less known that Armstrong doped too. I mean, let's cut the BS about overcoming cancer and then winning the Tour De France 6 times as the only one among all who doped, who didn't.
    But with Armstrong, they say that the french are jealous and whatever else and that's why they claim he doped.
    Let's take Bonds vs. Mark McGwire. When McGwire and Sosa had those homerun seasons, no one came up with anything about "they are using steroids", although it was known. Then they had all the BS with Barry Bonds.
    Take Florence Griffith Joyner...it was more than just an open secret that she doped..but obviously, you don't talk bad about dead people.
    Carl Lewis...well...there are lots of drug accusations against him, just he was always cleared, because it would be too much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Le...ug_accusations

as said, the way they destroy the career of people and treat them is pretty selective..

Big Daddy Kane
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Double standards, I bet that 60% NBA players are doped, Armstrong was 100% doped too, Montgomery(husband from Marion) was cached but I can't remember that he was in jail for that.
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

Fav. Player
    DEJAN DEKI STAN

from legal shit like creatine American kids are brought up to cheat...this to me isnt shocking in anyway...everyone knows or knew it

and Mehdi you are right,there is evidence that Carl Lewis used steroids especially Pseudoephedrine amongst others although being American it was classified as inadvertantly if i remember correctly...
    "And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy",