Thread: Italia

Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    He did.

Although he has been missing since, I have been anticipating every PSG game waiting for his return.

Ever since I saw this news: https://m.ligue1.com/ligue1/article/...ainst-caen.htm

He hasn't made a single appearance for PSG, not even on the bench.
    Wallace

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Greece

Mancini called up Caprari but not Politano Thank you Roberto for resting our player ahead of the derby

Netherlands

Welcome back Giovinco, I guess.

4. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    Il Fenomeno

Italy

Nel bene e nel male, forza Internazionale!!

#InterIsGone

antijinx

6. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Brazil

71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Portieri: Alessio Cragno (Cagliari), Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Mattia Perin (Juventus), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino).

Difensori: Cristiano Biraghi (Fiorentina), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Mattia Caldara (Milan), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Emerson Palmieri Dos Santos (Chelsea), Manuel Lazzari (Spal), Alessio Romagnoli (Milan), Daniele Rugani (Juventus), Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea).

Centrocampisti: Nicolo' Barella (Cagliari), Marco Benassi (Fiorentina), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Roberto Gagliardini (Inter), Jorginho (Chelsea), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Nicolo' Zaniolo (Roma).

Attaccanti: Mario Balotelli (Nizza), Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Giacomo Bonaventura (Milan), Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Pietro Pellegri (Monaco), Simone Zaza (Torino).

thanks for resting Politano then Manshitni
    That midfield is dogshit.
    PUT CRESPO IN LGI

#RIPRENDIRAFINHA

#SACKBALDY

#LOSERMENTALITY

8. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    Zanetti, Icardi

Italy

Christ. I guess:

Insigne-Immobile-Chiesa
    Barella-Jorginho-Benassi
    Emerson-Romagnoli-Rugani-Zappacosta
    Cragno

is as good as it gets, just give Jorginho two runners to defend him and hope he can pull something out of his ass. That midfield is dreadful.
    Inter Banter Era; 2011-2018 Mudingayi, Schelotto, Rocchi Gone but not forgotten

Vatican

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member
    Zappacosta and Emerson

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Aren't some of our forum posters slobbering over Benassi and Barella? So how come some of you want one of the two to replace Vecino, but don't want them to play for Italian NT?
    I couldn't care less about the thanks on a football forum lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti, Icardi

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    Aren't some of our forum posters slobbering over Benassi and Barella? So how come some of you want one of the two to replace Vecino, but don't want them to play for Italian NT?
    I think it's more of a comparison thing against other top nations. I'm all over Barella, but when you look at Brozovic-Rakitic-Modric/Kroos-Goretzka-Draxler/Kante-Pogba-Matuidi/Isco-Busquets-Thiago/etc., Benassi-Jorginho-Barella just looks a bit shit.

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Huh, I guess I didn't look at it that way.
    I couldn't care less about the thanks on a football forum lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Its good to see the likes of Chiesa, Jorginho, Insigne, Bernardeschi, Pellegrini, Donnarumma etc are becoming regular starters for Italy. Mancini is doing the right thing to use this Nations league as a training camp for integrating new blood. Azzurri desperately needed this, and hopefully this will bear fruit in 4 years time.

15. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, ADRossi, MVD

United States

Best Football Poster Best Overall Poster
    Sucks they can’t seem to win though, even against mediocre opponents. Something is definitely still lacking with the team.

17. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Netherlands

I notice three things wrong with this team:

1) General Italian mentality. Chiellini quote today sums it up perfectly: "It’s not a final, it’s not a play-off, it’s just an important push towards Euro 2020. There is a long way to go yet." This is just the way ,many Italians are as people, and its the way things will continue to be. And this passive behaviour is how you end up in the same qualifying group as Spain.
    2) This midfield is awful. Verratti hasn't played a good game for Italy in three years. We don't have a true defensive midfielder to replace De Rossi who would allow Jorginho to venture forward more.
    3) We have an abundance of good wingers and a bunch of average strikers. Immobile never plays well for Italy, Belotti is struggling with form again, and Balotelli is as reliable as satellite in the rain.

19. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Vatican

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member
    You're concentrating on the wrong things. The problem is not quality. The problem is about all the intangibles. And it's a collective thing, so don't tell me that Verratti and Chiellini can tick most or all of the boxes here.

The problem is that the players:
    - are not exposed to top level football.
    - are not exposed to championship contention.
    - are not exposed to result-oriented pressure.
    - as a result cannot really adapt to different kind of situations and playing style.

Just look at the roster and where these players mostly play.

Both Verratti and Chiellini play for a team that has the league guaranteed for whatever reason that may be. Verratti never had much success in the Champions League despite playing for a strong side.
    Others don't get enough playing time (eg. Bernardeschi or even Rugani).
    There's Jorginho who is a vital necessity in this roster if they wanna move forward.

Then you have players whose biggest success is celebrating a 6th position and a Coppa Italia devastation (Donnarumma, Romagnoli, ) or an occassional top 4 spot (Parolo, Immobile - who also has been disastrous outside of Serie A)

Italy sort of feels like a Portugal or a Holland without any star players. These are countries that historically have star players for the very best (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter, Milan, Bayern etc) but sometimes, well, they just don't. And they tend to crash out of tournaments or not even qualify. The similarities are that Italy always relied on their star players, who have been featuring for their best teams (Inter, Milan, Juventus and/or a Roma or Fiorentina great generation or the infrequent Lazio, Napoli, Bologna, Genoa, Cagliari emergence) that either are the best in Europe or at least the best in Italy during the time.

Can't really say much about the 30s, but 1968, Inter and Milan dominated the 1960s in Europe, Gigi Riva (Cagliari) was dominating in Serie A and Italy won it's first Euro. Facchetti, Mazzola, Burgnich, Domenghini from La Grande Inter, Rivera, Lodetti etc from Milan, Dino Zoff, one of the greatest Gks ever from Napoli, Anastasi from Juventus and Gigi Riva as I mentioned earlier from Cagliari who amongst Meazza and Piola was considered one of the greatest strikers in world and Italian football of all time.

Just look at any Italy generation. 1994, which is an emblematic one. Roberto Baggio being the best player on earth, Maldini and Baresi being the best defenders probably at the time, Pagliuca one of the greatest GKs and so on... Move on to every generation up to 2010, and you'll see the faces that dominated European and Italian football as protagonists.

Now the best Italians play for the 4-6 placed teams of Serie A and crash out of the Europa League in the round of 16 and have zero experience. That is Italy's main problem.

And no, it's not a vicious cycle where you can say this is proof that they're not good enough or something. The players themselves are fine. It's just that they're costing too much for the top Italian teams and it makes more sense to get a probably better player for the same price (there's no argument that player X is better than Italian player A or B) or try and get a gem for less.
    The top Italian teams could benefit from several of these Italy NT players. They just cannot afford them. And that's killing both the teams and the players as they cannot gain the necessary experience to play at this level consistently.

21. Thanks (1): GenDire

Fav. Player
    Zanetti, Icardi

Italy

I give Mancini so much shit, and yet that performance against Poland was shockingly good. It's amazing what happens when you field a team full of players who are good with the ball at their feet huh?

I think the Insigne as a false 9 choice was pretty inspired. What do you do if all your strikers are wank? Don't play any of them. Now, if there was a good, clinical striker on the pitch (someone like Aguero or Griezmann would fit perfectly) we might have won 3 or 4 nil, but they did hit the woodwork twice and forced Szcesny into multiple saves.

This young team with no expectations placed on them could develop into something special, not dissimilar to the way England's NT seems to be shaping up. Particularly if they all get on/are friends on and off the pitch, and I think the fact that there were only 3 Juve players starting unlike the usual 5/6 does help that. It helps to create a more unified group, rather than the Juve club and everybody else. As good as Chiellini is, I'm going to celebrate when that cunt finally retires from national football.

I also used to think Jorginho was pretty overrated but seeing him at Chelsea and on Sunday I might have to eat my words.

23. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Bluenine, Dylan