Thread: The state of football

Syria

10 years of FIF

The state of football

I have been meaning to create this for awhile now but I keep forgetting, its no coincidence this was my first week without alcohol and now I remember to create it. Anyway.

I was watching AFL (an australian sport) the other day, and its always so high intensity...This game has about 30 goals kicked on average in one game (by both teams).

After watching one of those games this weekend I flicked the channel to Euro 2008. My god. It was sooooooooooooo slow.

Football is my favourite sport but I dont know, at times it can be so dull. Id love to see some things improve this game, especially rewarding attacking teams.

First things first, I think each European league need to delegate men to watch replays of games on a monday morning and issue out fines for anybody who dives or rolls around like a pig in mud but then gets up 2 seconds later. I know its hard to tell who is being honest, but we need to stamp this shit out. The sports become to soft.

(see; grosso)

Italy has the best footballers in the world for me, but the stop-start play in Italy kills everything. Players in England have almsot no technique yet they have more entertaining games because its free-flowing and not pausing every 20 seconds for a foul committed.

I would also like to see the 'advantage paid' rule be used more often. To keep the game rolling and exciting.

I have some crazy ideas about the substitutes and offsides rules but then you would all have a go at me for wanting to change too much but just out of curiosity, what would you like to see improved in the world game?

For me its one thing, anything that makes it faster, more exciting and most of all very attacking.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

1) Use replays to punish divers after the game is done, also, use video to judge if a card/dive was right/wrong. For example, I think Villa slipped and not dived yesterday, he still got a yellow card. We can call this law the CR7 law.

2) Kick free throws instead of using the hands.

3) Use two ref's to speed up the decisions and make them more accurate.

4) Removing your shirt should be fine.

5) Hal, don't fall into the commonwealth idea of 'improving' soccer to make it more exciting. They always do that in US and Canada and compare it to NFL, Hockey etc. to make it 'better.'

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jürgen 'Hammoudi' Häßler View Post

4) Removing your shirt should be fine.
    Eh, I expected as much from you.

oh,

6) Scrap extra time. Go straight to penalties. If teams cant win a game in 90 minutes why should we endure another half hour of crap. The teams never want to give anything away in that period and it just turns out boring.

Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

United States

Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post
    6) Scrap extra time. Go straight to penalties. If teams cant win a game in 90 minutes why should we endure another half hour of crap. The teams never want to give anything away in that period and it just turns out boring.
    Exactly. After watching Euro 08 and dreading an extra 30 minutes for 3 straight games, I couldn't disagree.
    18 F.C. Internazionale Milano 18

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Taiwan

7) Introduce goal-line technology to make accurate judgement on if the ball indeed cross the goal line

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

ban EPL.
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by shahz_nerazzurri View Post
    ban EPL.
    ban shaz. get off the hatorade.

sure they might suck skill wise, but at least they have attacking, free flowing football which makes it fun to watch...Something I cant say about Italian football.

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

I don't know if 2 judges would work. It's not basketball. Where would those 2 judges be ? The judge usually places himself far away from the action, so he can't influance it, even by standing there. Sometimes it is the only place he can stand. So if we would want 2 coaches to see the same situation and better judge it, they would both have to stand in good spots, and it would be hard to find both, thus making the play being influenced by the stand of one of the coaches.

As for the Video after the game, a strong YES. I hate it too, and I can't understand why they can't do it. It is so obvious in TV, and just ban the suckers. Diving and rolling on the floor, is just shamefull. Diving isn't worse for me. For me the worst thing, is when the camera is showing closely the person who is falling down, and when that person is doing it, he takes either a glimpse look at the judge, or very good long stare. I mean how pathetic that can be ?

But this can't be decided by one person. They should make a comitee of say 3 people, and even if 1 person from the three isn't sure about the ban, the ban shouldn't be aplied. But if all 3 are sure about it, ban should aply.

I would go even further, but that's more like a SciFi talk and I'm aware of it. I mean if you would watch the game of 70's or 80's, there wasn't many fouls, there wasn't much of a contact, and mostly "SHIRT PULLING". It's the fault of the judges that allowed to what we have now. IT's like in the blood, that when opposite player is fast, the deffender is starting to pull his shirt, INFLUENCING the speed of his run, but only like 1/20 of those situations are whistled. Why ?

I think this should be whistled every time. And 4, 5 fouls all together, we know it's usually a yellow. What next? A yellow - q game ban, straight! Red ? 2, 3 games straight. Finally players would think 3 times if they would make a tactical foul when the counter is going, or making some stupid or not necesary foul thus making the game more fluid and continous.

BUT. With this, we would have to with the same use of this commision of 3 or so people, also take off the yellow and red cards, if the commision would asses the situation and decided the card wasn't right in this situation.

What's the problem here. The problem is the number of these commisions. I mean every game in a league can have dozens of situations likethat, that means around 90 * 10 minutes of watching, and ofcourse the trust of those commisions and honesty.

It's hard to do, but I think that would make the football a lot of good. I don't want to eliminate contact. Body contact is mostly legit. What I want to eliminate is all means that are used, to slow the opponent, or prevent them from advencing and pushing forward.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    I'll make a very quick summary of some of what I think about to improve the game. Note: I agree with both Helal and Hamed on what they wrote.
    • 5 substitutions allowed, for obvious reasons.
    • Use the replays. This is the most important rule.
    • In Italy, they should find a solution to the low attendance. Empty stadiums don't make football better in any way.
    People say that Roma's games are entertaining. I find nothing entertaining about watching players falling around and screaming everytime someone gets 1 meter close to them. They are a disgrace to football.
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, è la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jürgen 'Hammoudi' Häßler View Post
    12) Kick free throws instead of using the hands.
    Well, then we wouldn't have free throws but only free kicks. And I can't see how the ball going out of bounds is the same as a foul or an offside. Throw ins are quite good imo.

5 subs is okay

Am I the only person in the world that wants club competitions of similar format to the World Cup and the Euro?

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post

sure they might suck skill wise, but at least they have attacking, free flowing football which makes it fun to watch...Something I cant say about Italian football.

I don't quite find their "free flowing" football too attractive to watch. Sure its fast but half the time the ball is just bouncing around between players who try to play one-touch but fail. Its more like ping-pong. Its better to watch a slower game where the player knows what he is doing with the ball instead of clueless passes.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

On topic of State of Football, there is an interesting article on goal.com.

It pertains to the contract system rather than the game we are discussing here.

Debate: Have Contracts Gone Null And Void?

Shyam Parthasarathi, looks at how players and agents are playing around with contracts which in itself is an agreement that is enforceable by law.

Contracts have been the fundamental source of stability at all football clubs. Here is the definition of a contract: "It is an agreement that is enforceable by law."
    Though contracts are legally enforceable, players and agents are the monopolising power in football today. Players seem to want to leave if:
    1) Their clubs don't pay them enough money—which apparently is £80,000 per week for an average player these days.
    2) Their clubs show no ambition—if they win very little or nothing for more than one year, and show no signs of doing so in the near future (or, so the players think).
    The latter statement is a better reason to leave a club, but whatever a player says; he always seems to leave for the former.
    So, when a player signs a four-year contract, there is no guarantee that he would be at the club for four years. The four years are more for the club which will have the security of compensation from another club rather than that for a player who invariably moves on within those four years.
    So, what's the point of signing a contract?
    The player gets a heavy signing-on fee, and the club is wasting its resources on a player which the club knows won't remain with it for much longer. Then, some other club comes in, pays the guy triple the amount that his current club's paying, and takes him away.
    What is the consolation? They get a compensation of... well, a lot of money.
    But, despite the fact that you can buy anything with money, it is difficult to replace a player. The hours of work that managers and coaches put in with him, his knowledge of the domestic game and the fact that he was settled means that even money can't replace that player immediately.
    Why waste all that money? Why not just let the player play on a rolling contract?
    That's what the crazy world of football seems to have become.
    It’s a place of no honour, a place of no commitment. Players come and go, make promises and leave right in front of your eyes, and you, as a fan, feel as if you've been shot in the knee-cap, and left without a way to recover from the blow.
    Today, the Webster clause is applicable for players over 28 years of age who can leave in the last two years of their contract by simply serving a notice to their club within 15 days of the end of the playing season. But, Arsene Wenger, Arsenal's manager, feels that all this is going to cause anarchy for all the clubs very soon:
    "At the moment, it's (the Webster Clause) either three years or two, but believe me, soon someone will challenge that and ask why at 28 years old and not, say, at 27," he said.
    "And then, it will be why after two years and not one? Once you get to that stage, the transfer system is dead. You'd have a team built for a year—then you are in big trouble."
    That would mean the end of club football. That would be the farcical scenario, one which all of us would laugh at today, but believe me when I say that we're not that far away from such a situation.
    The fact that the transfer system is biased towards the players is ironical, since all of us keep saying, "No player is bigger than the club."
    Cristiano Ronaldo won a Champions League and Premier League double and has seemingly decided to leave Manchester United. Mathieu Flamini was on the verge of winning the League title and played almost every game of his final season at Arsenal and somehow left for AC Milan.
    While I acknowledge that Madrid and Milan are great clubs with stature—Manchester United and Arsenal are the future.
    You can blame the agents for hyping up the transfers of their players, you can blame the players themselves for being greedy, or you can blame the clubs for being far too stingy.
    But, for me, there is only one entity that anybody can blame—and that is FIFA.
    The more I think about this scenario, the more I feel that FIFA is losing its grip on world football. It's concerned about the exploration of rules which cannot be enforced, and isn't doing anything to protect the football clubs.
    Sepp Blatter can talk for hours about the six-plus-five legislation and yet, he doesn't seem to be concerned about the player-turnover at almost all the major clubs (and other clubs) in the world.
    I have gone on forever about how I cannot believe that players would leave their clubs just for money and the fact that clubs are losing the very players they made, but the institution or association responsible for all of this seems to be turning a blind-eye to everything that is going on.
    A contract is an agreement enforceable by law, right?
    But, here's the pickle—there doesn't seem to be an agreement of any kind, and the law is being trampled over.
    Therefore, I'm left with the following definition:
    "A contract means nothing in football."
    Simple yet effective, won't you say?
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    One ref in each half. If thats not possible, then let the 4th ref watching the replays on tv, help out the main ref if he makes a shocker of a decision... 4th guy to ban players for diving too.. maybe even he can show yellow cards... what is he doing apart from substitutions anyways?

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

Yea sometimes I don't understand what the refs do. Like in cricket there are 2 umpires on the field, a 3rd umpire is referred to a couple of times in a game for decisions. There is a 4th umpire and a match referee too. I guess they are totally useless.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf19 View Post
    7) Introduce goal-line technology to make accurate judgement on if the ball indeed cross the goal line
    not into that, like Blatter once said, ref mistakes is part of the game, but this i the same guy trying to kill the game with his 6+5 and no penalty kicks BS

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

She's got pretty good point there.

Blog: Slaves to Stars
    Sepp Blatter said Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Manchester United was a form of “slavery,” so Susy Campanale proposes a new type of deal

We all knew Sepp Blatter talked rubbish, but the FIFA President really has taken the cake this time by joining in with Real Madrid’s assertion that Manchester United holding Cristiano Ronaldo to his contract is tantamount to “slavery.” That is not an easy word to bandy about, yet the super-rich spoilt brats seem happy to stand side by side with the true slaves of this world and expect your sympathy. It’s really not going to happen.

The fact FIFA have come out on Ronaldo’s side suggests what we have known for quite a while now is finally coming true – contracts are utterly worthless pieces of paper. If a player can sign on the dotted line for tens of thousands of pounds a week and retain the right to quit at a moment’s notice, then why bother making such agreements at all? At least in Spain they have the buy-out clause so if they can find a club idiotic enough to spend £90m on their starlet, they can add insult to cash. But what are other sides to do?

I suggest we take the new style of cheap airline as an example of where to go next in the football transfer market. If a contract counts only so far as the player wants it to, let him take the small print and hidden extra charges that go with it. Let’s say every time a player is injured – even just a muscular twinge that means he’s not feeling fit enough to play the Coppa Italia – then he has to pay for the physio, x-rays, tests, surgery and of course the time wasted by the fact he’s unable to step on to the field.

If he plays badly, does that constitute a breach of contract? It could do, so dock wages every time he misses an open goal or performs a particularly sluggish tackle. Above all else, instead of awarding bonuses for reaching the Champions League qualification, fine the stars if they fail to achieve that objective. It’s the modern game, so we need a new type of contract.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

I say the big players are holding the clubs as slaves. Guys like Ronaldo, Ibra, Kaka who are raking in fat salaries far above most of their teammates.

Every time such a player says a word about playing elsewhere, the management jumps in to offer him a salary hike.

I don't like the buyout clause too. It makes getting players like Messi, Villa near impossible.
    IO SONO INTERISTA