Thread: File Sharing Websites

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter

File Sharing Websites

I thought it would be good to highlight some of the better file sharing websites available. I've noticed a lot of people use terrible sites to host files. Websites like Rapidshare, Megaupload, or Sendspace are absolutely trash, with a lot of restrictions, stupid download delays, crappy interface, and pushing you to subscribe at any chance they get. Even slightly newer/better popular sites like 4shared are still not up to snuff.

I think these sites are popular because they were here first, but there are many great (free) alternatives.

1- MediaFire (www.mediafire.com)

MediaFire is getting very popular, and I see it being used more every day. Thanks to a simple interface and no nag screens, you can easily share links and keep a library of files. They still push their paid model, but they don't bug you about your IP address or make you wait 20 seconds to download.

Upside: No signup required. Unlimited storage.
    Downside: 100 MB per file limit. Ads.

2- Box.net (www.box.net)

Box.net was one of the first leaders in offering a new, clean, nag free model. Today I would only recommend it if you have a library of files less than 25MB each in size, and would like to share it with a group and be able to modify the files.

Upside: Great interface, sharing and collaboration features.
    Downside: Registration required. Better features are pay only.

3- Drop.io (www.drop.io)

I saved the best for last. This is by far my favorite storage solution, and I'm surprised many people don't know about it. Drop.io is a fast, simple, clean, and efficient way to share files. Just go to thier website, and in two clicks your file will be uploaded. I even have a Firefox extension which integrates it with my browser for drag-and-drop operations.

They've recently introduced a pay model, while keeping the base service free as it always was. The pay model is the best I've seen so far as well.

Upside: Too many to list here.
    Downside: 100 MB max file size.

Special Feature Note: Drop.io offers a "Paywall", which allows you to charge users. This way a group of users can upgrade to the better storage plan, for example paying $20 per year, and then each user will pay $1 and as more people join the drop can be upgraded. It might be something we can look at collectively in this forum, to have a permanent Inter media storage.

Honorable mention: Orbitfiles.com - seems like a great service, I just don't trust them yet.

Finally, I hope nobody ever uses Rapidsh*t and co anymore, and I hope I've demonstrated why these options are better than 4shared. Ultimately, the best option is a paid solution, but for now I recommend everyone sticks with Drop.io.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano, Ib

Ehsan, rapidshare has the most important feature. It's the most popular, so everybody uploads everything on their hosting. That's why i'm paying for rapidshare subscription for the last 2-3 years.
    Interista... In victory and defeat...

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    What is this important feature that you're talking about, Darky?

Ehsan, great post. My personal favorite is MediaFire, BY A VERY LARGE MARGIN. I'm gonna try drop.io though

Pros
    1) No loading time
    2) More than 1 download at a time
    3) Very user friendly
    4) Files not deleted as long as you log in every a month, or something like that
    5) Easy to upload

Cons
    1) FREAKING ADVERTISEMENTS!
    2) 100 MB limit file size (Not a big deal, you can easily use winRAR and then upload the pieces simultaneously)

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano, Ib

I told it Everybody is uploading their files on rapid. So, u get more files for your money.

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    I agree with you Ilkinio if you are downloading, or if you are willing to pay then the recommendations will change. My list was for people who are going to purely upload from scratch. There are also some better solutions based on Amazon S3, but they are not free.

Handoyo, that's why I put MediaFire at number one, but recommended drop.io based on my personal preferences.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    Ehsan, I can agree with you, but I should say what's the problem with 4shared?
    Are you bitching only for these 20 seconds of waiting :p

while mediafire is my 2nd preferd upload , but i keep uploading in 4shared, coz the files will NOT be deleted, they can be WATCHED and DOWNLOADED, and it's just the site i was looking for.
    If i would live in a country other than Kosova am sure i could subsicbre and get a premium member account, but righnow i can only upload 5 gigs for an account. I'll continue with 4shareds shits.

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    Adriano, yes actually I hate that 20 seconds of waiting but I agree that 4shared is better than most. If you get a chance try the other sites and maybe one of them will grow on you.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Adriano, yes actually I hate that 20 seconds of waiting but I agree that 4shared is better than most. If you get a chance try the other sites and maybe one of them will grow on you.
    I have to tell u that I started with 4shared, and this season I will end with it. I don't want any dead links in my thread and that's the right upload site for me.
    Thanks for your instructions above, maybe that orbit one will be for the next.
    Or maybe in the next year I will look for a unlimited on megas site.

Indonesia

Bessi, your file also won't be deleted if you upload it to MediaFire, if you sign up for an account and you log in at least once in 30 days. For me, even though this might be a hassle to you, it is a much bigger advantage than having to wait for 20 sec.

Also, am I the only one who hates the fact that you can also watch videos from those file sharing sites? Sometimes, I open a lot of them at the same time and if they begin to stream, it's like there are 20 people talking at the same time. And I would always download a file, if I want to stream I'd go to YouTube instead.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    Maybe you're right, now I'm gonna try to upload all the "inter goals" of this season in a mediafire. and maybe the sky hls too. Just to make you happy
    Last edited by Bes; 30 Jan 09 at 00:40.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    I've took a new account in mediafire and here's the link of fcimvideothread of this season:
    www.mediafire.com/inter
    Will be updating later.

But I wanna know how can I split a 100+ MB to two or three parts of .rar. I want to know, that would help me alot. Thnx.

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano View Post
    But I wanna know how can I split a 100+ MB to two or three parts of .rar. I want to know, that would help me alot. Thnx.
    Right click file --> Add to archive --> Archive format "RAR" --> Split to volumes, bytes "100,000,000"

Indonesia

I didn't want to create a separate thread for this so I'll ask here...

What software should I use if I want to add text into a video? To be more specific, I'm trying to combine Zlatan's goals into one clip and I want to write something on each goal. Any ideas guys?

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano, Ib

That is great idea indeed.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    I didn't want to create a separate thread for this so I'll ask here...

What software should I use if I want to add text into a video? To be more specific, I'm trying to combine Zlatan's goals into one clip and I want to write something on each goal. Any ideas guys?
    Movie Marker?

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    On a basic level Windows Movie Maker will do the trick and should be already installed on your PC (free download if not). iMovie if you're on a Mac.

For something more powerful but still free try Avid Free DV http://download.chip.eu/en/Avid-Free....1_101934.html

Indonesia

Thank you for the suggestion.

With WMK, is there anyway I can modify the location of the text (At the bottom instead of in the middle) and the font, size, etc?

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    Font can be changed easily by Editing the title overlay and clicking the options for that. Position unfortunately cannot be changed without some complicated XML hacks which are not worth it.