Thread: Vuvuzela is harmful to your hearing

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Vuvuzela is harmful to your hearing

Here's the evidence guys. Research done at my local university has found it does damage your hearing. Hopefully Blater and co now gets the message.

Vuvuzela – good for your team, bad for your ears

By De Wet Swanepoel

Posted on 24 July 2009

Prof James Hall & Dr Dirk Koekemoer measuring the Vuvuzela sound output

The popular Vuvuzela trumpet used at soccer games in South Africa emits a dangerously loud sound.

Researchers at the Department of Communication Pathology are investigating the possible hearing health risk posed by the Vuvuzela. Prof James Hall, Prof De Wet Swanepoel and Dr Dirk Koekemoer are documenting sound intensity and frequency spectrum measurements of the Vuvuzela to quantify the risk for hearing loss. Results indicate that the Vuvuzela’s output intensity is dangerously loud. Anyone in the nearby vicinity is at a severe risk of permanent noise-induced hearing loss and associated tinnitus (ringing in the ears). According to occupational noise standards, people should not be exposed to the intensities produced by the Vuvuzela for more than a couple of minutes if they are within a radius of 1 to 2 meters. At a typical soccer game the cumulative effect of many Vuvuzela’s blown constantly for 90 minutes create a hearing health care risk similar to that experienced by a goldminer drilling the rock-face for example. Without the use of effective hearing protection people are exposing themselves to the severe risk category for permanent hearing loss.
    Preventative measures, such as public awareness and hearing protection, should be prioritized as an important health care approach in sporting events where the Vuvuzela is used, especially in light of the upcoming World Cup in 2010.

http://web.up.ac.za/default.asp?ipkC...articleID=2531
    Last edited by Stefan; 28 Jul 09 at 12:43.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    You know I'm against the WC in SA (for several reason which are too tedious to explain) and this is one of the reasons. But if they go with what this research says and additionally fix up a few things here and there, then I just might pay you a visit next year

But vuvuzelas... players hate them, coaches hate them, tv commentators hate them, tv viewers hate them, and fans at the stadium sitting next to one hate them.

The only people who like them are the people using them, and Sepp Blatter.

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    So you want them to ban it?

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
    So you want them to ban it?
    I do , I hate the thing.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

Haha

Hate the thing myself, but didn't know about the hearing thing.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Taiwan

Interesting research
    F.C. Internazionale Milano

"We would have won this game even with seven men. Maybe with six we would have struggled, but we would have won with seven." Jose Mourinho after Derby della Madonnina