Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of midfield: An Inter tradition?

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member

Lack of midfield: An Inter tradition?

I've been supporting Inter for almost a decade now, starting from 01/02. Through all these years, there is one common problem, or I guess you can call it a 'tradition' now, that Inter lacks a world class midfield. (The whole midfield unit, not any individual player in particular)

But the curious thing is, there is NEVER a lack of world class strikers in Inter. As a result, our build up play is usually "pass the ball to striker and hope for the best."

In 01/02 our midfield core was boring boring Di Biagio & C.Zanetti. Recoba, Seedorf, Emre, Dalmat, S.Conceicao were there but our offensive play was still non-existent and we ended up relying too much on Vieri that season. In the following season, things got a little bit better when Emre was very on form and helped carry the ball forward a lot.

It was pretty much the same case in 03/04 except Adriano began to take over the goalscoring responsibility duty from Vieri when Adri joined.

The only time we tried to have a better build up from midfield was when R.Mancini first joined. Veron was drafted in and he became our chief playmaker, despite failing miserably (Let's discuss that some other time); we finally got a world class DM in Cambiasso and Figo also helped the midfield in his first season. D.Pizarro also joined us and he helped 'beautify' our play. But it still brought us nothing as we only won 2 Coppa Italia.

The next season, Mancini brought steel back to the midfield as Vieira was transferred in and J.Zanetti shifted there. Stankovic had the best season in his career and helped us play our best football that decade but still, he was arguably the only player in our midfield who were able to do something creative offensively. And I don't think I need to elaborate the next 2 seasons as our game plan was basically hoof a long ball up to Ibra and cross our finger.

We have been lucky enough to be blessed with world class strikers though, like I've mentioned above. Despite the inferior midfield, they still managed to achieve incredible goal averages. Or maybe it is exactly BECAUSE of the lack of midfield since the strikers see a lot of the ball.

Vieri amassed an incredible rate of a goal every game in 01-03. Adriano was world class from 04-05, heck even Martins managed to score 22 in a season! Ibra accumulated 68 goals and numerous more assists in his 3 seasons here. Crespo & Cruz also chipped in a century of goals between themselves.

The trend is likely to continue this season, when our transfer campaign sees us bring Eto'o, D.Milito & Arnautovic. Despite the obvious weakness of the midfield, it has been the offensive department that once again got the most touched-up.

It brings us to another question: 4 consecutive Scudetti, is a world class midfield unit really that necessary then?

Clearly, if we are to target domestic glory, the answer to that question is a big NO. But taking a quick glance at the past CL winners this decade, it seems that our lack of midfield is the reason why European glory has eluded us for so long.

The famous Man Utd treble side had arguably the best 4-men flat midfield ever in Giggs, Roy Keane, Scholes & Beckham. Real Madrid of 01/02 boasts Zidane, Figo & Makelele. Milan who won it twice had a stable & consistent midfield in Gattuso, Seedorf, Pirlo & Kaka/R.Costa. Porto also won it when Costinha, Maniche & Deco were at their prime. Liverpool had 2 world class midfielders in Gerrard & X.Alonso. Finally, Barcelona were helped by Deco and the 2 freaks of nature: Xavi & Iniesta.

On the other hand, I cannot recall the last time a world class striker(s) winning the CL without the proper help of the midfield. Whereas, Porto & Liverpool even managed to do it without one.

So, all that being said, I think it is necessary for us to break this funny habit of ours. It still is necessary to keep a balance and have some good goalscorers but it must not be an obssession as it seems to be right now.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    If it were on facebook, I'd click the "like" button

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    More under moratti other presidents have had great midfielders like lothar,suarez,ect but moratti prefers his super star strikers.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    More under moratti other presidents have had great midfielders like lothar,suarez,ect but moratti prefers his super star strikers.
    I guess thats true,its like he doesnt want em.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Ya because Moratti does all the scouting for our club...including choosing our players single handedly...

I am pretty sure he did not tell our scouts "I do not wan't a world class midfielder!"

6. Thanks (1): tinoii

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    Ya because Moratti does all the scouting for our club...including choosing our players single handedly...

I am pretty sure he did not tell our scouts "I do not wan't a world class midfielder!"
    Obviously not but its no secret that Massimo has a particular fondness for his super star strikers. Most of them have been treated like kings and have been his favorites. Only two players he has liked more has been zanetti and cambiasso but from recoba,ronaldo,oba and adriano to mario now mm has loved his super star strikers.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Who knows maybe our scouts hate midfielders?Its been weeks that mourinho is crying for a midfielder and we still seem to hold it for the final days.We should have addressed this in june-july but no lets wait till there no more options...

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    I agree that he loves strikers, but I doubt he would pass on an opportunity to sign a world class midfielder...I have a terrible memory, but have we ever not signed a world class midfielder, who we could have afforded and wanted to come?

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel,

For some reason they all flopped - Jugovic, Seedorf, Dalmat, Pirlo, Morfeo, Veron etc.

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Yeah, it's really comes down to this. Moratti is the reason.

When he signed Ronaldo, he could sign then probably anybody for this money, yet he chose Ronaldo.

If he was more of Roy Keane fan or whatever was then top central midfielder, we could very well now had a topic:

"Lack of strikers: An Inter tradition?"
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel,

We should've gone for someone like Zidane or Rui Costa.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Wtf Luka? Are you here again "defending" Inter ?

Han's post was very good and it hit the spot completely.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti
    Old name
    Bessi

Albania

50 FIF Special Ones
    Great post Han

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

This thread makes me sad but great post Han !!
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    if you're neraz

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Yeah, it's really comes down to this. Moratti is the reason.

When he signed Ronaldo, he could sign then probably anybody for this money, yet he chose Ronaldo.

If he was more of Roy Keane fan or whatever was then top central midfielder, we could very well now had a topic:

"Lack of strikers: An Inter tradition?"
    Ya but the difference is that a decent finisher can score a crap load of goals if provided a crap load of chances from a world class midfielder.

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Wtf Luka? Are you here again "defending" Inter ?

Han's post was very good and it hit the spot completely.
    Funny how I said almost exactly the same what Stefan said, just expanded it a little, and yet you stick to ME.

Get off your "Luka's basher" glasses Cafe, seriously. It is annoying.

And just for the record, where do I deffend Inter here. Exactly ?????????????
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Italy

84 Forum Supporter
    Great post Han... Thanks for sharing.
    ***FORZA INTER***

Follow me on Twitter
    @alessandrodiosi

Administrator of the Australian Inter page. Your welcome to join the community
    https://www.facebook.com/interaustralia

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

That was an interesting read. Thx for sharing Han.
    Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.

Dr. Napoleon Hill

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Lol, I would say quite true... I don't know if I should cry or laugh..

We have good midfielders, but not world class as you said.. We need someone besides cambiasso to work as CM, and of course we need wingers if we plan to play 4-4-2, or 4-3-3 with 2 wingers and 1 CF..

As i see now, it will be like last year, we have sold Ibra, but have Eto'o and Milito, Balotelli, Quaresma is back... Lack of midfield, we still have, IMO it is a MUST buy someone like Alonso, or Gerrard, who can go back and help the defence, deliver long balls forward, take free kicks and shoot from distance... We desperatelly need this kind of player..
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy View Post
    Ya but the difference is that a decent finisher can score a crap load of goals if provided a crap load of chances from a world class midfielder.

And a world class striker can score a crap load of chances with a decent midfield...so whats your point...

Ibra had 25 last year remember??