Thread: Adrian Mutu's Chelsea fine

Fav. Player
    Bossvaldo

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter Most Humorous Member

Adrian Mutu's Chelsea fine

I didn't know where else to post this (Serie A thread perhaps?) so I'll just post this here.

Essentially I just wanted to open a discussion regarding all the controversy surrounding Adrian Mutu at the moment.

Reports say he either has to pay Chelsea just under 18 million euros in damages for the breach of his contract when he tested positive to cocaine, or retire from football.

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/docu...3/5048/0/Press

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...utu-fiorentina

http://goal.com/en/news/10/italy/200...to-retire-from

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ea/8178248.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ea/7440416.stm

Personally I don't know what to make of this situation.

Yes he breached his contract, and if I were part of the Chelsea management hierarchy I'd be really pissed off that my expensive signing went and took cocaine.

Nevertheless, it does seem incredibly harsh to sentence an individual to pay such an amount. Yet it's not as if Parma, Fiorentina or Juventus have any responsibility in the actions of the player and can't be blamed whatsoever either.

Apparently the FIGC are appealing to the Italian government to intervene somehow but I don't see that as a realistic avenue.

I won't leave my judgment, I don't understand well enough the happenings to confidently state "I think this should happen:......"

Opinions anyone?
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I am with Chelsea here. Players can blackmail clubs and request transfers, wage increase etc. when they do good. But when they are doing bad, the club can't refuse to pay them part of their salary.

Chelsea paid a lot of money to get Mutu. He screwed up by doing drugs and damaged the reputation of the club. He deserves to be punished, he can't just escape lightly without any punishment. But I think Chelsea should ask Parms for part of the payments though. I guess from now on clubs should put stipulation that their transfer money may be partially re-imbursed if the player screws up.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Hamed how can it be parma's fault?? It was mutu who did cocaine not parma. By your theory bbilan needs to pay us some cash because coco got several bad injuries here.

Mutu should pay and he must take responsibility for his actions. If he wasn't doing cocaine he would have no issues. I should pay the fine or face his suspension . But I don't feel parma or any of the clubs are responsibility. Maybe juve they are very underhanded so I would put it past them for encouraging him to do cocaine so chelsea would sack him and then sign for gobbi. But that's just my biased mind.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

They can't do it now I guess. But I think clubs should really put stipulation that they wont have to pay all the money if the player does stupid stuff (like cocaine.) It's like when you buy a product and it screws up (without it being your fault) then you get your money back or get an exchange

Fav. Player
    bobooooo (until

Chelsea canceled his contract...so they only paid him for the time before he was caught with cocaine. I don't know where did they get such an enormous figure for him to pay.

Plus, if my memory serves me right, they sold him to Juve and got some cash back?
    Impazzisco per te, questo e canto d'amor
    che mi viene dal cuor, FORZA INTER ALEEE.

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

Yeah, Mutu screwed big time and now he seeks for retribution.

The fact is, the "celebrities" and rich people, think they can do anything, and they often fail to see consequences. If Mutu was aware of those, he wouldn't do drugs, but he thought nothing will happen to him even if he gets caught.

I will admit, that this fine is fuckin big, but never the less, Mutu screwed up, and he can only blame himself.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Bossvaldo

South Korea

I said in my initial post I don't feel knowledgeable enough on the situation to give my entire view, but I do feel Mutu has to face the consequences for his actions, but I still feel it's a very, very harsh fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    I think the general consensus everywhere is of that: He did wrong but his punishment is inhumane.

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Yes he did wrong. Chelsea may have a point in recovering the money they spent on him (I don't know how much it was but lets assume it was 17m).
    But then we have to see who the money went to or who benefitted from it?

Was it Parma? Was it Mutu? Was it Juve?

1. Parma cannot be asked for the money. They sold a player and got rid of their responsibility.

2. Juve may appear unethical here but not illegal. So they would not pay any money to Chelsea.

3. Mutu is the culprit. And in all cases it is the culprit who is supposed to pay the damages. But then Mutu only gained his wages which I guess would not amount to more than 5m. If Chelsea seek that money from him, its fine. 17m is too much. The transfer fee went to the club NOT Mutu.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Well, he should know he wasnt allowed to do what he did.

I think its inhumane, but the court case is right. Chelsea lost 17mil, they had to cancel the contract, they didnt get the wages they paid him back, so maybe the middle lane is for Mutu to give back whatever they gave him as salary.

Transfer fees, well Chelsea shoudnt have cancelled the contract.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    Bossvaldo

South Korea

Even though we all know sports stars/celebrities etc get paid ridiculous amounts and think they can get away with whatever they want, I feel it's wrong to just bankrupt someone, which is what this fine will do to Mutu.

Imagine training and playing football for 15 yrs and having nothing, perhaps a negative bank balance to show for it.

I don't know how much Mutu earns a year at Fiorentina, but I'd assume it's at least 3 million euros per year. Common sense would have it that he'd saved some money but you never know with footballers.. Perhaps some payment plan should be revised so that he can pay it off bit by bit.

Maybe when he retires he can take up a job as a car salesman or accountant to pay off his fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fav. Player
    ÉverMirandaGag

Hungary

An interesting question:

Has he earned such this amount of money in his professional carreer? i doubt it highly.

At Parma he hasn't earned WC-wage, only 1 year at Chelsea he can made 4-5 millions a year or somthing like this and back to Italy i gues he could earn about 2-3 million....

He sucked.

Can somebody collect the wage datas?

Bahrain

My god..A bunch of heartless bastards we have here.I mean comeon,have some sympathy for the guy.I never thought i would hear someone sticking to Chelsea in this one as even their fans want to see this dropped.I hate Abramovich for doing this.Lots of money but no class.

Mutu made a mistake and credit to him he became clean.The guy didnt force anyone to buy him for that amount and didnt get a penny from the transfer fee.Yeah taking cocaine is a shitty,stupid mistake when ur career is on the line,but non of us are in his shoes or can judge what he was going through and is still going through because of Chelsea going along with this.Humans make mistakes,why punish those who learned from them by taking something away that they never had.I mean 17 million is alot of money that i dont think anyone can afford to lose in his postion.

I know the contract and the law is on Chelsea's side,but take off the corporate eyeglasses and look at this from a human point of view.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

I believe in sending a strong message against those who use drugs so I fully support chelsea here. Its sad for mutu that he has to be the one who the example is made of but that's the way things go.

If this goes through players will think very very hard before using drugs because of the consequences.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    He should not pay them a cent more than the wages he received from Chelsea.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    bobooooo (until

Why should he give them back the wages? He got paid only for the time before he was caught.
    Impazzisco per te, questo e canto d'amor
    che mi viene dal cuor, FORZA INTER ALEEE.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by rockball View Post
    He should not pay them a cent more than the wages he received from Chelsea.

Yes, but there are things called damages...Chelsea feel that Mutu hurt the reputation to the club and therefore owes them more money. Lets say they lost fans because of this incident or players do not want to join Chelsea because of what happened, this hurts the club much more than the wages they lost to Mutu.

It is the same way when someone burns their lip on coffee from McDonald's, they don't sue for a couple thousand dollars to cover the surgery required to help them, they sue for millions claiming damages, ie emotional agony, future lifestyle has now been altered, etc.

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

To say Parma have to pay any sort of money to Chelsea for this, is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Also even Jube dont need to pay anything as well. They saw a player on a free transfer and they got him. Its not fair for them to pay anything for him.

So who should pay for Chelsea's loss? Nobody!!!.

Mutu didnt walk out of is contract. Chelsea terminated his contract. They had an option not to terminate his contract, fine him huge amount for violating the terms of his contract, and then maybe sell him to another club come trasnfer window, when his ban was over. But no, it doesnt even have to do with ethics or anything, come on its Chelsea we are talking about. Mutu was a surplus to requirement that season, and they found an easy way to get rid of him with out paying him a single cent.

Yes, what Mutu did was very wrong, but he got punished for it. He didnt play football for 9 months, he didnt get paid for 9 months. Its absolutely stupid, to ask him pay the mammoth amount that some dumb rich owner paid to another club for him.

Its funny how players like Ferdinand get away with shit like that, but not others.

Mutu needs to get a better lawyer.
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.