Thread: Chievo 2-2 Inter review

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Chievo 2-2 Inter review

So the season finally began at the Stadio Bentegodi and all eyes were on Roberto Mancini's new look Inter side.

The home side didn't have the likes of Luciano and Moro but Inters problems were worse.Already they had Cristiano Zanetti and Ivan Cordoba missing through suspension from last seasons games,while Obefemi Martins,Carlos Gamarra and new acquisition Nicolas Brdisso were coming back from injury.This is how the teams started -

Inter -

Toldo, Zanetti, Davids, Adriano, Mihajlovic, Ze Maria, Veron, Favalli, Materazzi, Stankovic, Vieri
    Bench - Fontana, Emre, Cruz, Cambiasso, Recoba, Pasquale, Della Fiore

Chievo -

Marchgiani, Semioli, Baronio, Franchescini, Lanna, Cossato, Cesar, Mandelli, Pelissier, Brighi, D'Anna
    Bench - Marcon, Tiribocchi, Amauri, Pesaresi, De Franchesci, Allegretti, Malago'

So at 6 O'Clock in Italy Serie A was go as referee Gianluca Paparesta blew his whistle to signal the beginning of the game.The first ten minutes of the game were rather quiet and Chievo had more amount of play with chances falling to Cossato and Pelissier among others.However slowly Roberto Mancini's side who was playing with an injury and suspension swept defence started to get the pendulum swinging towards themselves.

Adriano and Vieri combined well after just over ten minutes - moments before Neo-Nerazzurri Giuseppe Favalli was yellow carded for fouling former Inter player Semioli.The first goal of the game came after a quarter of an hour as birthday boy Dejan Stankovic sent the ball over Chievo keeper Luca Marchgiani.Cesars mistake in chesting the ball too lightly from Verons cross was penalised when the lively Serb pounced with a kind of lob over the former Lazio 'keeper.

So the pendulum was clearly swinging in the favour of the away side and the stadium suddenly became very quiet,except for the Inter fans of course.Within the next 5 inutes Inter had two very different moments.The first one on 18 minutes ''La Brujita'' picked out Stankovic with a pass,however Dejan headed the ball wide.The next event however was more worrying.Semioli of Chievo sent a right wing cross to Franchescini who then headed the ball towards goal.He had well and truly beaten Francesco Toldo but luckily for Inter,Marco Materazzi was on the line to clear the ball and evade a goal.

Being honest this was an entertaining game that could have another goal any minute.For example in the next 8 minutes both teams had two clear cut chances,Pelissier and Vieri particularly.On 28 minutes Chievos deadlock was broken.After Vieris great chance at the other end,the Flying Donkeys went on the counter and Semioli scored to make the scores equal.After that Mihajlovic - who missed his header when he could have intercepted the goal made a crunching tackle on Cossato.This signaled another brief spell of Inter dominance.Ze Maria and Adriano both had good chances missed.

Suddenly Inter's aim was just to get to half time with the scores still 1-1,but on 37 minutes Chievo completed part of their comeback through D'Annas volley which beat Toldo.This had turned into Inter's worst 9 minutes of the game - they had conceded 2 goals and were now behind.The rest of the half was chance after chance of wasted Inter attempts as Adriano, the ever frustrating Vieri,Stankovic and Ze Maria all had chances to score.

Half time

No changes for either side at the break.After just one minute Chievo were temporarily down to 10 minutes as Mandelli was taken off the pitch after an aerial duel.And then 2 minutes after that Adriano got his 4th goal of this whole season with an unstoppable shot from the Brazilian bomber.He played a 1-2 with teammate Vieri and he hoofed the ball into the bottom right corner of the net.2-2.The rest of the match was rather dull,the main events being Mihajlovic receiving a yellow card,more chances for Vieri and co,some more chances for Chievo and the tremendous sight of seeing the tri attack of Adriano-Vieri-Recoba in full flight!

Pictures from the game:

Stankovic scores!

Vieri's incredible miss!

Ze Maria - so close!

Estaban Cambiasso makes his Serie A debut

MY RATINGS -

Toldo - 6/10 He wasn't on full form at all for us but he wasn't exactly awful either

J.Zanetti - 6/10 Was very quiet and will be hoping to inspire his troops a bit more on Tuesday

Davids - 6,5/10 Despite also being quiet,he did not make any glaring errors and will only improve

Adriano - 7,5/10 Our empreror was on semi decent form today.Playing mainly as a support striker,he still got a great goal

Mihajlovic - 3,5/10 Terrible and awful.He missed headers and missed defenders.Lets just hope he never playes again

Ze Maria - 7,5/10 A bright spark in a dim match.Had some good shots and game desperately close

Veron - 6,5/10 Made some good crosses and passes and had quite alot of touches.The little witch wasn't too bad atall

Favalli - 6/10 Very quiet and ineffective,got injured early on and he never seemed 100%

Materazzi - 6,5/10 He had a big responsibility in defence and did not do too badly

Stankovic - 7,5/10 The birthday boy gets another goal!He plyed wella nd was our liveliest player

Vieri - 6,5/10 You can't complain at his effort but his finishing was pretty appalling,give him time

SUBSTITUTES

Cambiasso - no rating

Recoba - no rating
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Good article.....

Well I don't agree on Mihajs grade he should only get 1 or nill....I even think that we would have played better with 10 men...Since he didnt make any difference....He just stood in the way.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I think in ur grading u have been more than generous with everyone...
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

With Mihajlovic for example,Gazzetta wouldn't have given him a one so neither did I.I didn't give higher than an 7,5 and most players were an average 5 - 7!

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    Oba

Good article! I agree with Adriano, Miha deserves no more than a 1 or even 0 - simply

Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

nice one, man....
    I notice more people are writing their review or post match reports...
    I think it's cool!

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Great job Fabio. You are very generous, like Favalli, you say he was kinda bad but you still gave him a 6 And a 6.5 to Vieri!
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion