Thread: A sign of things to come?

A sign of things to come?

The scoreline read Chievo 2-2 Internazionale. I though of the way that we had dominated this game early on and had deservedly taken the league through Dejan Stankovic and how we really should have made the score 0-2. But slowly Chievo came back into the game and it was only our current star man Adriano who could save us. For me personally, yesterday's game provided me with several areas for concern.

Defensivley we looked incredibley poor yesterday. A partnership of two unreliable defenders in Mihajlovic and Materazzi was always risky in my opinion, but then again Mancini had very little other choice. Nobody can doubt Mihajlovic and Materazzi's commitment to the Inter cause, but both are left footed and prone to the occasional glaring error and yesterday that showed. Perhaps Mancini should have taken more of a gamble and gone for the youngster Hernan Della Fiore in Central Defence yesterday? When Ivan Cordoba and Nicolas Burdisso return for injury I am hoping that our defensive issues will be cleared up, but Cordoba lacks height and Burdisso lacks Serie A experience. Recent rumours have linked us to the likes of Brazilian stopper Juan. He currently plays his football for Leverkusen in Germany and would be the perfect acquisition for us.

I am also very sad to say that the time of Christian Vieri is over. For the past several years he has been a hero of mine and for many other Nerazzuri fans. But it is clear now that Adriano is the new 'Emperor' of the San Siro. The question of whether they can or cannot play together is no longer the issue. The real question is even if they can play together, do we really want them to? Adriano is forced into a more withdrawn role when Bobo is on the pitch and I personally don't like seeing our most lethal striker being sacrificed in this way. But if Vieri could score some goals then maybe I would be willing to see this partnership used. But Vieri missed so many easy chances yesterday and therefore this potential partnership should be scratched off Mancini's potential partnerships. Adriano would function a lot better with Alvaro Recoba or Obafemi Martins at his side. I am becoming increasingly alarmed at how reluctant we seem to be becoming on Adriano's goals. He needs a strike partner to take away some of this burden and Recoba or Martins would most certainly do this.

The third and perhaps most worrying of all Inter's problems is Roberto Mancini. He is no doubt a very promising Coach and is capable of making his teams play exciting and attractive football, but he seems too loyal to old friendships. Yesterday he played both of his two old friends, ironically our two worst players of the night, Vieri and Mihajlovic for the full ninety minutes. Surely Inter would have fared better if he had taken Vieri off for Recoba rather than Ze Maria? Recoba playing on the Right Wing is a tactic I have never seen before and his trickery would have been better suited to playing alongside Adriano. Whereas if Mancini had seen Mihajlovic's mistakes and had the balls to take him off for Della Fiore, or even start with the Argentine, I am sure we would have enjoyed the outcome of this game a lot more.

So for Tuesday nights game against Werder Bremen I am begging Mancini to show some courage and drop Mihajlovic and Vieri. Ivan Cordoba will be back from suspension to step in at the back and we have Recoba who can play instead of Vieri. If our problem areas are sorted out then we can look forward to a promising year ahead.

George 'Giorgio' Carr
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    I still don't understand how so many of the Interisti can judge how Vieri is going to play for the rest of the season based on his poor performance versus Chievo. That's very fickle IMO, I think Bobo should still be praised and we should wish him the best. The point is he's proven to be one of the best CF's in the world and one doesn't turn into a liability to the team over night. Plus, our choices are more limited then usual with Oba's injury.

I believe you're looking way too much into what is just one game. Obviously, Mancio hasn't gotten used to our team very well (an example of this would be playing Chino on the right wing) and we were missing three central defenders. I guarantee you no other team in the world could do very well with three defenders missing - all of them on top of Miha in the depth chart andmuch better, mind you.

Believe me when I tell you, I am a very pessimistic guy when it comes to Inter. I've learned to expect the worst in football and life in general. However, I think it's more important to look at the good from last night's draw. We were away and managed to score twice, it's a given that our defense isn't going to be even half as bad as they were last night with the horrible combo of Matrix-Miha. I consider this a rough start and bad luck having so many injuries and suspensions, nothing more or nothing less. Don't look too much into it.
    Nulla impossibile per questa Inter

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Don't be too worried yet Giorgio!

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Inter!
    Don't be too worried yet Giorgio!

Fabio
    OK then I will take your advice

But it was only really a few problems from the first game that could threaten to escalate. That's why I said if they are addressed we can still have a very succesful season.
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Hopefully they won't all escalate! -->

Fabio
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Mancini worried me a bit because he didn't make the changes, he waited like forever.

Apart from that, Crapajlovic was a disaster, so I'm waiting to watch the games against Werder and Palermo, both at the S Siro, both of which should see Matrix-Cordoba as central defenders, before I make a first judgement.

Vieri. Gosh that's so hard. I've been insulting him since the Chievo game. When I read "Vieri misses a sitter from 5 yards" I just go beserk. He can't do that!

But my brother (a Milan supporter!) told me off because I was so quick in my judgement. He also said that if the fans boo him at the S Siro they're stupid. He's got a point. If the fans start picking on Vieri that's not gonna help us one bit. Then again, how many missed chances can we still accept in silence?

I'm haunted by Vieri's mistakes. I remember them all clearly. Last year, Inter v Roma, Inter v Lokomotiv Moscow, Lazio v Inter, Dinamo Kiev v Inter. All the headers he missed at Euro 2004....

I'm worried because I know that if he plays on Tuesday and he misses again the fans won't have mercy of him... and gosh I understand them... but we're about to lose a legend in quite an awful way. That's just sad. :cry2:
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    Personally, I feel that Vieri is currently very stressed out at the moment. He has been carrying Inter all along, and it's a very heavy burden. To him, Adriano's arrival has probably been the worst timed transfer of the whole of last season. Yes, Adriano's good, but the fact that he came to Inter when Vieri was hitting a very bad patch is very presurising for him. Now, the pressure is on Vieri to regain his form.

Adriano, IMO, has nothing to lose. Inter currently only has other 1 player that can be said as of the same calibre as him, Vieri. And Vieri is currently off form, so Adriano will largely play, even if he does not score much. So it's a much more relaxing mentality for Adriano, giving him the mental advantage. With this mentality, Adriano can score better, unlike a very pressurised Vieri.

This is my two-cents worth. I may a tad biased to Vieri, and I'm sorry if my words offended Adriano in any way.

Forza Inter, Vieri and Adriano!!
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Vieri kinda brought the pressure on himself last year. I understand that a player can go through a negative period, but if you spit instead of celebrating your goals you're not going to be the tifosi's idol...

And Vieri's bad period is going on forever! :cry2:

Let's hope he scores a couple against Werder, then the mood would change! It's such a key-match for him if he plays.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Yeah even one goal would boost his morale!

Fabio

Yessssssssss 1500 posts!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    I totally agree! The most important thing to Vieri right now is to get a goal. I think after he finally gets one, he will likely to pick up his form again.

Forza Vieri!! Good luck!!
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

I'll be nervous about Vieri tonight. Even if he scores. If he spits instead of celebrating it will be a major blow.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion