View Poll Results: Who is going to win the 2017 NBA Finals?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden State Warriors

    8 61.54%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

    5 38.46%
Page 346 of 346 FirstFirst ... 246296336343344345346
Results 6,901 to 6,917 of 6917

Thread: NBA

  1. #6901
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    It's funny how you accuse me of ignorance and then say that their beef was because Isiah was left out of the 92 team lol.

    Magic and Isiah were like best friends and they stopped talking in the 80s during the NBA Finals. Isiah just froze Magic, wouldn't return his calls and Magic just cut his friendship ties with him, to the extent that Isiah held a grudge, during the time he wasn't returning his calls, that Magic didn't even visit the hospital where his newborn son was. That escalated for years and we arrive at the Dream Team selection.

    Ten players were already selected in 1991, Isiah wasn't in. The 11th player was going to be someone between Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins (injured at the time) and Isiah Thomas, while they were also considering Kevin Johnson. They were between Shaq and Laettner for the college kid.

    Now, the idea was to get Isiah, with Chuck Daly as the coach. They didn't want Drexler because Michael was already there and they also had Mullin who added an extra layer with shooting. Nique wasnt in good shape and then Magic Johnson and the HIV story was out.
    It was alleged that Isiah Thomas stated that "sometimes you think you know someone..." This is what Magic thought at the time and he was pissed. Everyone loved Magic and he was raising awareness for the disease, other teams didn't want to play against USA if Magic was there and these things dragged for a while. The consensus was that Magic had ultimate support and if he had left his spot or was forced to quit by USA basketball they'd get lynched. So essentially Magic had the ultimate power in the team at the time and USA Basketball didn't see Michael Jordan as their #1 guy. (They realized they were wrong once they landed in Barcelona.) So Magic flat out refused to be in the same place as Isiah Thomas and the federation just accepted that. And they went with Drexler who proceeded to have an amazing season that year.
    Isiah was actually promoting Magic to the Player's Association when many were refusing to play with him and he was his strong advocate, but Magic thought that was Isiah showing a different public face from his true self. And that's when their beef got non reparable. They did reconcile yet not as active players but as 50something year olds...

    I didn't say Laettner was related to Isiah, I just said it was an odd choice given the surrounding frenzy.

    Stockton was a lock for the 1992 team, Isiah's exclusion was irrelevant to him getting a nod.

    Charles Oakley was essentially the Bulls & later on Knicks version of Rick Mahorn. An enforcer if you wish, but never a dirty player. The only player the Knicks had that was somewhat dirty was Xavier McDaniel but he was only there for a season. Pippen was scared shtiless of him, I can tell you that much. Big mistake by the Knicks to not keep him.

    And the Pistons were a punk team. They had great players, great defenders, but they were dirty collectively. Individually sure, it was just Laimbeer and to an extent Thomas. And the team deserved respect. But they didn't give any when respect was due to their opposition, and this is why they are shunned and why Isiah is not considered a top 10 player despite his battles against the three best players ever in Jordan, Magic and Bird.
    Laimbeer could shoot and could play, but the guy was also a criminal. And when you are a team in the playoffs, you will always back your guys. Laimbeer was trying to end careers and Thomas just absorbed that and wanted everyone to jump along and stop Jordan by any means necessary (reminder that flagrant fouls didn't exist back then so breaking a back was still just worth one foul only). And that was dirty. This is the equivalent of Juventus saying that they are outsmarting everyone because they are paying the refs and federation officials. Nope, that's just playing dirty.

    P.S. Comparing or parallelizing Messi to Jordan is like comparing a bobcat to a lion. You just don't do it.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  2. #6902
    FCBarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 09
    Posts
    4,003
    Thanked
    631 times

    Switzerland

    Only ignorance is concluding I intimated the 92 games were anything but in 92 - not sure what your point is, the timing of 1990 series between the two teams has bearing on what happened for the Olympics since they started selection in the 90-91 season. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Oakely was no thug? Preposterous revisionism. As for Drexler, he himself has pointed to MJ as the reason why Isiah was blocked from the team and that he thought it was ridiculous to permit him to dictate the squad

    And no, Magic & Isiah did not have their feud during the Laker-Piston Finals. It came after and absolutely involved MJ


    As for Messi vs Michael, one has been at the pinnacle of the game for 15+ years and the other for less than half that - bobcat vs lion, I agree

  3. #6903
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    1988 series. You are uneducated on the Magic Isiah subject and it's getting silly.

    Everyone thought that it was Jordan related because it was in the media and it was easy to believe.
    You think that many players discussed this with Jordan? He probably liked that people thought he had some power like that, but it's revisionist to assume that he did. He didn't even have power over Jerry freaking Krause, he had over an entire Federation?

    When Messi shows up in international football in an even playing field and not playing for a team who wouldn't even make ball boys of half their opposition, we can talk.

    - - - Updated - - -

    First link on google search: https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/magic-johnson-isiah-thomas-bury-hatchet-nearly-30-year-feud/

    And another one here: https://www.espn.com/general/page2/story?id=4622202&src=desktop
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  4. #6904
    FCBarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 09
    Posts
    4,003
    Thanked
    631 times

    Switzerland

    Right, 1988 series. A feud despite the famous kiss on the cheek to start, good grief you couldn't be more wrong.

    It started in '91 and one set of rumours linked it to Magic's HIV status (Link to being gay) but most, especially from Detroit, was that it was linked to the Olympic snub

  5. #6905
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Yeah because everything remains constant.

    Materazzi and Zidane shook hands in the 2006 final, it probably it is lies that they don't like each other as we have such evidence. But let's ignore that it was prior to the case in point because we don't know what we're talking about

    Isiah was left out of thr original 10 because he was left out. Chris Mullin wasn't better than Drexler, yet he also was picked ahead of him. Isiah was still in contention, and yes, at the time Magic believed all that and it was the catalyst as to why Isiah stayed home. But in all honesty, Drexler > Isiah at that point in time. They couldn't have dropped a player selected a year prior...

    We all know that Thomas should have made the team if it was based on name value and merit, but the reason he didn't was more Magic than Jordan.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  6. #6906
    Pharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Nov 11
    Posts
    7,363
    Thanked
    5,482 times
    Fav. Player
    Me

    Tuvalu

    10 Forum Supporter
    You two ruined the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked wizard View Post
    after seeing them gifs of them passes I have to admit that I was wrong and that he is one of the greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFCAustin View Post
    Breaking news: Inter made a bid for Kyrie Irving after he requested a trade from the Cavs.

  7. Thanks (2): Adriano@10, MVD

  8. #6907
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    You two ruined the thread
    Yeap, it's two people that started saying things that didn't happen....

    Apparently any post that exceeds two lines is ruining threads.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  9. #6908
    FCBarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 09
    Posts
    4,003
    Thanked
    631 times

    Switzerland

    Even Horace Grant has come out to pan the documentary saying the majority of what MJ has put out makes for entertainment but are lies and his teammates know this. Only the kool aid drinkers think otherwise

  10. #6909
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post
    Even Horace Grant has come out to pan the documentary saying the majority of what MJ has put out makes for entertainment but are lies and his teammates know this. Only the kool aid drinkers think otherwise
    It's Jordan's documentary, he green lightes it as it was sitting for years and he has removed parts that portrait him unfavorably. It's not news really. Nor that his relationship with some guys, ie Horace Grant, was poor or terrible, ie Isiah Thomas and Bill Laimbeer.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  11. Thanks (1): MVD

  12. #6910
    Ziyad's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 04
    Posts
    12,594
    Thanked
    3,511 times

    Bahrain

    Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Everyone knows Isiah and Lambere were huge cunts. Isiah hid behind his smile though.
    Ziyad Of Boston

  13. #6911
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    11,226
    Thanked
    24,320 times

    Netherlands

    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyad View Post
    Everyone knows Isiah and Lambere were huge cunts. Isiah hid behind his smile though.
    They call him the baby faced assassin for a reason.

    I'm probably going to re-watch ESPN's 30-30 on the Bad Boys soon. Really enjoyed it when it came out five or so years ago.

  14. Thanks (1): MVD

  15. #6912
    Pharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Nov 11
    Posts
    7,363
    Thanked
    5,482 times
    Fav. Player
    Me

    Tuvalu

    10 Forum Supporter
    It’s one of the best 30 for 30s, no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked wizard View Post
    after seeing them gifs of them passes I have to admit that I was wrong and that he is one of the greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by InterFCAustin View Post
    Breaking news: Inter made a bid for Kyrie Irving after he requested a trade from the Cavs.

  16. #6913
    dynasty27's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Jan 10
    Posts
    11,986
    Thanked
    5,454 times

    Europe

    73
    This should have happened in the last episode of last dance
    https://youtu.be/cSuGyO1E8HE

  17. Thanks (1): MVD

  18. #6914
    Adriano@10's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 May 04
    Posts
    6,918
    Thanked
    5,109 times
    Fav. Player
    Oba



    24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by dynasty27 View Post
    This should have happened in the last episode of last dance
    https://youtu.be/cSuGyO1E8HE
    Would have been nice but is never going to happen I love jordan but hes way to petty for that would take isiah to initiate and apologize and i do not think theat s ever going to happen either.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

    #Fuck Conte

  19. Thanks (2): K.I., MVD

  20. #6915
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    19,877
    Thanked
    15,639 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    And they were never close friends to begin with.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda


    Conte uomo di merda

  21. Thanks (2): K.I., MVD

  22. #6916
    Adriano@10's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 May 04
    Posts
    6,918
    Thanked
    5,109 times
    Fav. Player
    Oba



    24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    And they were never close friends to begin with.
    Exactly consider that jordan and barkley still dont talk to each other cause charles criticised jordan for how he handles charlotte as a owner.

    Imagine what it would take for isiah and jordan to become friends of even forgive eachother.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

    #Fuck Conte

  23. Thanks (2): K.I., MVD

  24. #6917
    Hasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Jul 05
    Posts
    7,483
    Thanked
    4,119 times
    Fav. Player
    4 & 10

    Bosnia Herzegovina

    35 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    It’s one of the best 30 for 30s, no doubt
    I just finished watching Lance 30 for 30 on ESPN, spend 4 hours of my Sunday Hangover and I don't regret it. Very good series.
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

    Parma team manager Sandro Melli

  25. Thanks (1): MVD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •