Thread: Inter 2-0 Werder Bremen

1 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Inter 2-0 Werder Bremen

Inter managed to capture all three points at home against a tough Bremen side after a brace by Adriano helped the Nerazzurri to a 2-0 victory. Werder Bremen played wtih 10 men for nearly the whole game as french defender Ismael tackled Adriano from behind as early as the 4th minute, with the Brazilian striker on his way to give Inter an early lead. Vieri missed the spot kick and overall had a poor game. But later on, we had another chance to score as Adriano was tackled by Werder's captain Baumann, who was unlucky as the replays showed that he made the tackle from outside the penalty area. Adriano capitalized at the 34th minute to give Inter the lead. Adriano made it 2-0 with only 2 minutes of the 2nd half to go as his shot from outside the area was too hard for Reinke to stop. And by the way, we played with our 3rd kit, the Champions League one.

Inter's line-up had a few surprises. Mancini made 3 changes from the team that faced Chievo over the weekend as Cordoba, Van Der Meyde and Emre all started in the place of the suspended Mihajlovic, Ze Maria and Edgar Davids. Vieri and Adriano played alongside each other once more in the Nerazzurri attack. Dejan Stankovic partnered Veron at the heart of our midfield with Emre playing as a left winger. The funny thing is, Mancini didn't use a true defensive midfielder for this game ! I really can't understand how come a coach like Roberto Mancini commits such a basic error ! Anyway, back to action...

As early as the 4th minute, the turning point of the whole game takes place. Werder's centre-back Ismael commits a clear tackle from behind to deny Adriano a sure goal. Lubos Michel (who was born on the 16th of May, like our owner Massimo Moratti) doesn't hesitate to award a penalty and show the red card to the French defender. Vieri, who was awful at Chievo, takes the penalty kick as to try and regain his lost confidence if he manages to score. Sadly, Vieri's penalty is saved by Werder's goalie Reinke, after Bobo blasts the ball into the centre of the goal, choosing power instead of precision.

Inter didn't cry over spilt Milk as Van Der Meyde, who had one hell of a game at his first start for Inter this season, manages to get hold of the ball inside the German penalty box and his shot is saved by Reinke's legs. Once again Reinke was a tad lucky as his legs saved the German champions from 2 goals in the space of 3 minutes.

After 20 minutes, Adriano was wrongly flagged offisde by at least a metre as he lobbed the ball over Reinke's head. The Brazilian was creating havoc for Werder Bremen's backline that didn't know how to stop him ! Truly, Adriano deserves the banner made by our tifosi in Milano that said "Adriano...Re di Milano."

In the 32nd minute, Once again Adriano was through on goal after a great pass from Veron, and the German's Captain Frank Baumann makes a tackle from outsdie the box but Lubos Michel was fooled. Baumann should consider himself really lucky though as he should've been sent off and Bremen would have to play for a whole hour with 9 men at the Giuseppe Meazza. Baumann was just booked by the Slovakian match official. This time, Adriano didn't repeat Vieri's mistake from the spot as the "Re di Milano" slotted home to send the Meazza crowd wild.

Vieri was unlucky as his volley from a pin point cross by Van Der Meyde is punched over by Reinke. Van Der Meyde was playing on the left during the closing stages of the first half.

In the dying moments of the 1st half, German midfielder Borowski misses the target as his half volley goes inches wide of Toldo's left hand post. That was really close to being 1-1.

The second half starts and Vieri misses the target once more, as his strong left-footed shot hits a Bremen defender. In the 52nd minute, Il Capitano, who clearly looked tired not only tonight but also in Verona 3 days back, is substituted for Ze Maria. Ze Maria played as a right-back, obviously. Vieri recieved the Captain's armband. This really didn't help Vieri, as he failed to score from 8 yards out with only Reinke to beat. He recieved a great defence splitting pass from Adriano, but Vieri only managed to find the hands of Reinke.

5 minutes later, Van Der Meyde asked to be substituted as made made a big effort and looked tired, but Mancini kept him on the pitch for the whole game. In the 68th minute, Andy coul've doubled our lead as his shot from inside the penalty area was well saved by Reinke, who had a fine performance and denied Inter on several occasions.

Then Werder dominated proceedings as they had 2 chances in quick succession. Borowski was unlucky to see his thunderous drive go wide of the post. Then Toldo managed to pull a good save to deny a dangerous free kick executed by French playmaker Johan Micoud.

At last, Vieri was substituted for Alvaro Recoba. Il Chino came on for Bobo in the 77th minute but didn't have enough time to contribute to the game as all we did was defend and Werder didn't look like they had a player sent-off. Still, Recoba had one good play with both Adriano and then Stankovic, who had a poor game, and the latter unleashed a left footed shot that hit the lucky Reinke.

Both Ivan Cordoba and Marco Materazzi were quite solid, and the Colombian Captain made a decisive intervention to deny Werder from scoring the equalizer. Credit to both of them, as they suffered from the lack of defensive support coming from the midfield. Even Veron had to get back and win balls for us, which was totally ridiculous. I Think Inter is the only team in modern football that uses 2 attacking midfielders alongside each other withouht a true defensive midfielder !

Dejan Stankovic gets injured and Mancini introduces Cambiasso. In the 84th minute, Adriano somehow fails to convert a great chance as Emre's precise cross from the left finds the Brazilian open but his effort goes wide. A minute later, Toldo saved us as he blocked a chance from substitute striker Miroslav Klose. On the other end of the pitch and against the run of play, Adriano practised some magic as he brilliantly controlled Veron's long range, millimetric pass with his chest and fired home to finish-off any hope for a German last minute comeback. I got to admit, the last 7 or 8 minutes before this goal was scored passed like 7 years as Werder pressured us and looked pretty dangerous.

A win is a win, even if our performance wasn't that convincing, mainly due to 2 reasons. Vieri once again was awful and he gums up the whole work of the team. Secondly, not using a defensive midfielder which i regard as a fatal mistake that shouldn't be done by a professional tactician like Mancini.

Man of the match is obviously Adriano, with Van Der Meyde having an excellent game and showing fancy tricks that amazed the crowd. The Dutchamn has huge talent and he showed that tonight. Favalli, Cordoba and Materazzi were all solid and didn't allow much space to the Germans. Ze Maria was fine when he came on and pushed forward everytime he had the chance to. As i mentioned before, Deki had a poor game with both Emre and Veron playing well if you look at the circumstances (Emre starting for the first time this season and Veron having to defend.)

Bookings : Cordoba and Favalli.

Congrats and FORZA INTER !!!!!

Ahmed Hossam.
    Born Interista, will die Interista.

"I'd even play in goal just to play, but I don't want to create competition for Toldo... I'm prepared to play anywhere." Dejan Stankovic

0 times
    Fav. Player
    Dejan Stankovic

Adriano hits two as Inter beat 10-man Werder

By Simon Evans

MILAN, Sept 14 (Reuters) - Brazilian Adriano scored both goals as Inter Milan beat Werder Bremen 2-0 in their opening Champions League Group G match on Tuesday.

The German champions were forced to play with 10 men from just the fifth minute after French defender Valerien Ismael was sent off for a "professional foul" inside the area on Adriano.

Christian Vieri had the resultant penalty saved but Adriano made no mistake in the 34th minute converting Inter's second spot kick.

The Brazilian, who has scored in all four of Inter's competitive games this season, finally made sure of the win in the 89th minute with a powerful drive.

Ismael's dismissal was the joint-fastest in Champions League history, equalling the fifth-minute sending off of Newcastle United striker Craig Bellamy against Inter in November 2002.

It should have made life easy for Inter but, although they enjoyed plenty of possession and created numerous chances, Roberto Mancini's side suffered some scares and it was not until Adriano's late second that they were able to relax.

Much of the credit for Inter's failure to wrap the game up earlier should go to Werder keeper Andreas Reinke who produced some excellent saves as well as his penalty stop.

Mancini made two surprise changes to his side with Dutch winger Andy van der Meyde coming in on the right flank and Turkish international Emre Belozoglu preferred to Edgar Davids in midfield.

Emre, given a role wide on the left, made an instant impact when he threaded the ball through to Adriano and Ismael clipped the heels of the big Brazilian. Slovak referee Lubos Michel pointed to the spot and sent off the Frenchman.

Reinke did superbly to block Vieri's penalty with his legs and keep his side on level terms and he was in action again moments later, racing out to foil Van der Meyde after he had burst into the area from the right.

There was nothing Reinke could do, though, about Adriano's penalty in the 34th minute, awarded after he had been brought down by Frank Baumann as he raced on to a pass from Juan Sebastian Veron.

Vieri then went close to making amends for his earlier miss with a smart shot from a Van der Meyde cross bringing Reinke into action again.

But Werder were in no mood to roll over and came within a whisker of an equaliser on the stroke of halftime when Tim Borowski's rifled effort flew just wide.

There was a similar pattern to the game after the break as Reinke produced a superb stop to keep out a close-range strike from Vieri and another effort from the impressive Van der Meyde.

Having failed to put the game beyond the Germans, Inter suffered a late scare when Werder substitute Miroslav Klose found space in the area but keeper Francesco Toldo reacted well.

Adriano then wrapped up the win when he took a sweeping pass from Veron on his chest and then used precision and power to beat Reinke with a low 18-metre drive.

0 times
    Fav. Player
    Dejan Stankovic

another report

Adriano Leads Inter To Important Win
    9/14/2004 11:05:00 PM

A good Inter side, led by the phenomenal Adriano was able to defeat a stubborn Werder Bremen, who had to play for over 85 minutes in 10-men.
    The only faults that can be found from tonight’s performance is that the nerazzurri failed to close early a game against a 10-men opponent and most importantly, Vieri is a faw away relative of the one admired in previous seasons.

It was apparent from the start that this was going to be an uphill task for Werder Bremen. The German side was in fact reduced to 10 men just after 5 minutes when Ismael brought down Adriano inside the penalty area, when the Brazilian striker was one on one with the keeper.

However from the resulting penalty, Christian Vieri shot straight into the keeper to continue his barren period in front of goal. The nerazzurri did not let this incident demoralize them; on the contrary, Mancini’s squad kept pushing forward to score a goal which eventually arrived.

Once again Adriano had to be stopped with a foul inside the penalty area, but this time round, it was the Brazilian himself who took and converted the awarded penalty in the 33rd minute.

By the end of the first half, with one man less, Werder were unable to create any real goal scoring opportunities apart from a couple of long-distance shots which grazed Toldo’s post.

The second half was a carbon copy of the first, where Inter kept looking for that all-important second goal which however seemed unable to arrive due to some incredible misses in front of goal by Van der Meyde, Vieri, Stankovic and Adriano.

The latter made amends as in the 89th minute he controlled perfectly a Veron assist and once inside the penalty area, blasted past the helpless Reinke to close the match.

All in all, Inter fans should be happy about tonight's team performance following last Saturday's poor display against Chievo. And with such an Adriano, this might really be Inter's season.

Glenn Debattista

1 times
    Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

very nice,

I didnt get to see the match, since none in Indonesia broadcasted it...
    but it seems like a surprising match...

I'm a bit surprise that emre and VDM start the game.. I am happy to hear that VDM did really well, and Emre played quite well, as he made few good through passes and crosses...

another surprise is that Il Capitano was subbed..., perhaps we have to get used to many new things this season... Il Capitano was always played, even though he injured a bit, even though when he just came back from playing national team... everyone had a break... but not for Il Capitano...

Now, we have Ze Maria..., this guy is good... man.., he can cover for Zanetti and can play in the flank as well... I wish we had had him before.., but perhaps he would have been corrupted by our previous coached..

Personally, I think Javier Zanetti's substitution is a tactical decision, not really triggered by his injury... Bremen had 1 man down against us, and Ze Maria is more attacking than Il Capitano, so playing Van Der Meyde and Ze Maria at the same flank at the same time should be very powerful..

Deki had an average game, my comment on him... is that he didnt play in that role for the long time, he might need time to adapt again... but I bet he was useful for us in this game...

Vieri was poor again, I m really sorry for this guy, I say we give him few more chances before we and he can decide that he's really over as a starter.. With Martins is still injured, Vieri should not waste his time..

The emperor, man... this guy is something..., I just dont think it's wise to play him game after game every match... He needs a rest, I dont want him to crack like ronaldo after the first season...

people said mancini had 6 for this match, but he has 9 for handling inter

it's a hopeful season, man...