Thread: Inter v Palermo-Match Preview

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF

Inter v Palermo-Match Preview

The 5th official game of the season will see Inter facing new promoted Palermo at the S. Siro in the Saturday night game. Inter drew their previous game against Chievo 2-2, while Palermo won 1-0 at home against Siena. So we're actually trailing them in the table!

After the good victory against Werder Bremen in midweek, the morale is high again. There could be important players coming back from injury, things are looking positive. But let's talk a bit about our opponents first.

PALERMO.
    They play a 4-2-3-1 module:

--------------------GUARDALBEN------------------

ZACCARDO------BIAVA--BARZAGLI------GROSSO

-------------------BARONE--CORINI------------------

GASBARRONI------------------------------SANTANA

------------------------ZAULI---------------------------

-------------------------TONI---------------------------

Barone and Corini are the heart of the team. Corini is their key player, he's the former captain of Chievo, stopping him means taking away most of Palermo's game from them.

Santana and Gasbarroni are pure wings, while Zauli plays just off the main striker, Toni. Toni is in great form, and his morale is sky high after scoring against Norway with the NT.

They won their first game 1-0, not a great result against modest Siena but you have to remember that it was their first Serie A game in 30 years so they were very emotional and nervous.

INTER
    Inter played a very good game against Werder. In that game Emre and V D Meyde played from the start. Also Stankovic and J Zanetti picked up minor injuries. It's difficult to make a prediction on our formation. First thing, it seems to me that Mancini is very cautious with players recovering from injuries (i.e. Martins was fit enough to be on the bench against Werder but Mancini didn't call him up).

Because of that, I think that Stankovic will be rested, and possibly J Zanetti too. Ze Maria will play right back, V D Meyde right wing. As for the left wing, it seems that Kily, the most natural replacement for Stanko, is not training at the moment, so he won't be available. We must keep in mind that this game will be won or lost in central midfield. We'll need 2 players able to press Barone and Corini all the time, stopping them from setting up moves for Palermo. One of this 2 players is Davids, no doubt about it. The second could be Cambiasso, or Emre. If the CM pair is Davids-Cambiasso, then I think V D Meyde will play RW and Emre LW. If the CM pair is Davids-Emre, I see Veron playin on the right, and V D Meyde on the left.

I really wouldn't play Davids-Veron in central midfield in this one. As I said, we need to stop Barone and Corini, once that's accomplished we'll be on our way.

Strikers. That's anybody's guess really. Martins should be back (Burdisso too, he should go on the bench). Cruz, Vieri, Adriano, they're all available. We MUST rest Adriano. Since Vieri and Adriano played almost the whole of our last 2 games, I hope to see some new faces. We need rotation, as we said many times.

I hope Mancio will give a chance to Pasquale as well, Favalli can have a day off.

So, all this to explain my probable formation:

-----------------------TOLDO--------------------------

ZE MARIA-----CORDOBA--MATERAZZI-----PASQUALE

V D MEYDE-----DAVIDS--CAMBIASSO-----EMRE

--------------------VIERI (c)--MARTINS---------------

PLAYERS TO WATCH:
    Eugenio Corini. If he gets space, he's going to make us suffer, setting up moves, providing balls to Toni and Zauli.
    V D Meyde. His morale will be sky high. If he gets to play again he'll be looking to confirm all what he did in the CL game.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    Obviously we need to win this one. We need to build up confidence, another victory would do just that. We're facing 2 though matches next week, Atalanta v Inter in mid-week, and Inter v Parma next week-end. We can't afford to drop points against Palermo.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Last time I checked Gasbarroni played on right side?! Anyway, that boy is awesome, if Pasquale is playing, he should really watch out... And as you mentioned, their central midfield is strong, and Toni is on good form... I predict that you'll win 2-0 or 2-1.

Nice preview, Francesco!

Is Biava our Biava?

Bianconeri: Pasqui won´t play unless Favalli is injured. I would be shocked if it happened. Not that he isn´t good enough, just that Mancini´s philosophy seems to be not to change too much of the lineup from match to match.

As with Favalli I think Veron will play no matter what in this game. And after seeing him shine last Tuesday I´m all for it as long as he´s fit.

VDM will certainly look to continue his good moment and Mancini is almost forced to use him after that performance...
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

I moved Santana and Gasbarroni Bianconeri.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Jimmy
    I kinda doubt that presumed lineup of yours Francesco. An essential player in this game will be Favalli, since looking at how Palermo plays, they will surely try and attack through their flanks. Pasquale is a bit risky against such teams, while Favalli is a safe bet. Therefore, it is essential that Favalli plays.

We have gotten ourselves in a dilemma with not having Zanetti for this game. Ze Maria is naturally a player that should attack a lot, but he will get restricted in this game. Having Van der Meyde and Ze Maria on the same flank against a team that likes to attack the flank, can become troublesome. Van der Meyde would have to work a lot defensively as well.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    We could play burdisso or cordoba at right back to counter that.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

We're playing at the S Siro there's a limit to the things we should worry about. We should be in charge of the game and you can't do that with too many defensive players.

If we play Cordoba Matrix, with Davids and Cambiasso in front of them that should be all we need to defend. Ze Maria can defend quite well, and I would trust Pasquale, he's got discipline and I just wasn't impressed at all by Favalli against Werder.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Adriano - #10

Their Biava isn't our Biava Gismo. BTW our Biava is a midfielder while there Biava is a defender.
    INTER - 2006-2007 - SCUDETTO
    ------------ADRIANO-----IBRAHIMOVIC
    --------------------LUIS FIGO
    -----STANKOVIC---CAMBIASSO---P. VIEIRA
    F. GROSSO----SAMUEL---CORDOBA---J. ZANETTI
    --------------------F. TOLDO

Confidence is half of victory. - Yiddish Proverb

I thought so to Dragon. Just wanted to be sure...

We could play burdisso or cordoba at right back to counter that.
    We have so many options man... Luxury is what it is!
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti