Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Matrix a world class defender?

Haiti

10 years of FIF

Is Matrix a world class defender?

Materazzi more then ever before this season will be an important figure in our squad with the lost of Cannavaro. However, unlike many of my fellow Interisti I don't quite rate Matrix all that high. I've come to accept that maybe my opinion isn't very popular, but I can't see what is so special about him at all.

I'll always agree that he had a very good season in 2001-2002 when he had just came from Perugia, but he's yet to prove he's a world class defender since then IMO. Due to his height, he's always matched up with a big and tall CF instead of Cordoba - and in my mind, he struggles. He seems lost around the pitch much too often, commiting silly mistakes that just come down to the basics of football. Basically, I think he lacks natural instincts as a defender or even as a football player in general. I don't trust him out there defending any world class striker, and I'm sure I cannot even begin to count the number of times he's managed to screw up what should have been just a simple play. Way too many mistakes, it's absolutely incredible how mistake prone Matrix is.

Obviously he's got some sort of technique, he's incredible gifted at both taking penalties and free kicks. But he doesn't have the right frame of mind, or just lacks something mentally. I sense that he's out of the game many times.

Honestly, has Italia ever had such a bad defender play for them? he's definately the worst I've ever seen since I started watching. Also, my low grade on him doesn't just come down to his defensive abilities either. His hot-head attitude doesn't sit in too well with me, I mean I can take crap from a star but if you're already struggling and risking my team of getting a red or yellow card just because you can't keep your cool then that's ridiculous. I get scared everytime Matrix gets involved in an argument or even when he's holding on to an opponent's jersey. That's not right.. now, is it? without a shadow of a doubt, Matrix has been our worst behaved player in the past 3 years.

Maybe I'm just weird or highly critical of Matrix, don't know why I even hold a grudge on him. I just want to know if I'm the only one who feels insecure with him at the back. Just discuss and explain.
    Nulla č impossibile per questa Inter

I definately don't feel secure with Matrix at the back and I am sure that Toldo doens't either. Surely after some shaky defensive performances so far it is time for Mancini to give Burdisso his chance to shine.
    Lo Scudetto will return.

you know what the others will answers already Nerazzurro... I need to see few more games more from this season, I'll judge him then... But what I have seen from him with NT lately, I'll say hell no!

Well non of our Cd have played well at all....We needs to buy a total new backline. If it continues like this...And no Matrix is absoultly not world class.

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    I don't think matrix is a good enough defender for Inter. We need a better defender to replace Matrix, and I hope we will get it as early as the January transfer window.

As of Adriano's wish ofa total new backline, I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Javier Zanetti definitely won't be out of the first team anytime soon, this goes the same for Favalli, IMO. The only part of the defence that will most probably change is the centre. So let's just hope that Mancini will someday try Cordoba and Burdisso together and see whether they can play together.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

At the moment , it is definitely No but Time will tell and I expect him to be One Very soon if he kept on like this .
    Campioni D' Italia !!!!!!

"It's an immense emotion" Roberto Mancini after the 15th Scudetto

"we'll win one thing at a time. Everything is special when you win, winning is always nice, especially at a team like Inter." Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    He is definitely not a world class defender and there are quite a number of players better than him at the moment. To be frank, I never considered him to be as one. But the bias me will only replace Materazzi if the replacement is in the league of the Nestas. Materazzi has grown to be one of the most passionate player for Inter out there and as we all know, love is blind. He is not world class but definitely under-rated by many.

Bianconeri: Materazzi is playing Jekyll & Hyde. No no no, I don't mean to say that he's as monstrous as Hyde () but he is nowhere as good to his club level when playing for Italia. Only God knows why.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    He's strong, he's committed, he's got a great sense of position. He's not world class but he's one of the best defenders in Serie A. His performances against Werder and Palermo confirmed that.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    He's strong, he's committed, he's got a great sense of position.
    Ok, I can understand when people praise Materazzi's heart and how he's got a strong physique and he's commited. But a great sense of position? the guy falls on the ground all the time. Not only is his positioning poor, his reading of the game is atrocious too. He lacks all the basics, including natural instincts.

I hate to critisize my own players, but he's way over-rated by some of you guys. I see nothing in Matrix that's even remotely close to a strong point besides his build and his hard work. Other then that, he's nothing special.

I hope I don't get bashed for just describing how I really feel about Matrix, I just wish he wouldn't start so much and we had Canna back. I mean, he's no where near the class Burdisso is either.
    Nulla č impossibile per questa Inter

It also depends on how you define the term "world class". In othere words how high your standards are. After my standards he is world class. And why not make this a poll, Gaetan?
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Yes, that is a good point by Gismo. I personally put very few players in the world class category, I certainly wouldn't have Matrix in there. Perhaps it would help if I just highlighted which defenders I consider to be world class:

Samuel
    Nesta
    Cordoba
    Campbell
    Terry

I think that is it.

BTW where is Pravesh?
    Lo Scudetto will return.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    [quote="Nerazzurro"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    the guy falls on the ground all the time. Not only is his positioning poor, his reading of the game is atrocious too. He lacks all the basics, including natural instincts.
    I guess that's why he plays regularly in Serie A and he's a member of the NT. It sounds like you rate him lower than Crapajlovic...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I rate him as a great back upp but not 1st team for inter quality. I want Burdisso to partner cordoba as soons as possible.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

I love Matrix for his passion and that maximize him as a player on the pitch... ( just like Handoyo said)..

but he was not a world class defender..., he needs a right tactics and attitude to make him plays with less errors...

but I would keep Matrix here as long as possible..., his determination is necesseary to give more heart to the team, especially when we are behind in the game..
    -----------------------

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Just a question Gismo, can you please list all the defender than you think is 'world class'? Thanx!

Handyo

No problem. But keep in mind that I havenīt seen enough of Samuel for example to make up my mind. So if I leave someone out, please ask me why.

World class defenders in no particular order IMO:

Nesta
    Cordoba
    Materazzi
    Thuram
    Terry
    Puyol
    Salgado
    J. Zanetti
    Zambrotta
    van Brockhorst
    Campbell
    A. Cole
    Ze Maria
    Jankolovski (if you count him in)
    Stam
    Andrade
    Ayala

Itīs tough to remember all players! Iīm sure I missed someone, but in advance I donīt personally rate Cannavaro world class. But since Iīll see both Sampdoria - Gobbi and Gobbi - Palermo I might change my mind... Though I doubt it, but weīll see.

You got that right where the hell is W.Samuel

And you rate Matrix and Thuram as world class, that I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo
    But keep in mind that I havenīt seen enough of Samuel for example to make up my mind.

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Gismo
    No problem. But keep in mind that I havenīt seen enough of Samuel for example to make up my mind. So if I leave someone out, please ask me why.

World class defenders in no particular order IMO:

Nesta
    Cordoba
    Materazzi
    Thuram
    Terry
    Puyol
    Salgado
    J. Zanetti
    Zambrotta
    van Brockhorst
    Campbell
    A. Cole
    Ze Maria
    Jankolovski (if you count him in)
    Stam
    Andrade

Gismo,
    Lets just talk about central defenders.

Materazzi has done well with us, but in no way would I say that he's a world class defender. That's why I always wanted a world class defender for us, but Materazzi to remain with us as well.

Well Han Solo asked about defenders in general. But just exclude the full backs and you got your list.