Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The problem with our midfield

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti, D.Mi

Singapore

The problem with our midfield

Hey guys, this is my first time writing an article so pls forgive me for my naive comments if they are not appropriate.

Looking at our current inter squad, i cannot be more pleased than anything else other than our current midfield line-up. Julio Cesar is world-class. Our defense is really impressive with maicon, samuel, lucio, chivu/santon. Our attack is formidable with eto'o, milito, pandev and balotelli. However, our midfield is nowhere the same standard compared to our world-class attack or defense. Agree?

Mourinho won the UCL in 2004 with an extremely disciplined Porto team. Its midfield consists of the 3 tenacious DMs - Mendes, Costinha and Maniche with Deco as the trequatista. It pretty much resembles our current diamond formation and our current midfield line-up does not seem to lose out too much when compared to the mediorce line-up of Costinha, Maniche and Mendes.

So what is the problem? Yes, the word is tenacious. Mourinho's side triumphed in 2004 because of their discipline and extremely strong defensive mentality. They believed as long as they scored.. they were going to win because they were not going to concede. That was how strong that mentality was. Its discipline coupled with the tenacity of the midfield ensured the opponents had no space or time to control the ball.

Lets compare it with Mourinho's chelsea side then. His 4-3-3 revolutionalized EPL with its 3 ferocious and tenacious midfielders - Makelele, Essien and Lampard. All three of them are extremely dynamic and tenacious. Makelele was the best DM, Essien the best box-to-box tenacious ball-winner and Lampard one of the best finishers as well.

So look at our own midfield again and reflect just a little bit. Its not because 4-3-3 is not able to work in Italy. It's because we don't have enough quality in our midfield to play with just 3 midfielders. Cambiasso and Zanetti are nowhere near tenacious.. they are considered passive. Cambiasso is intelligent, quick-witted but he lacks speed and tenacity. Zanetti is a tank, would not stop running, protects the ball well.. but does not have the impact factor as compared to true midfielders (e.g. essien, lampard & etc.)

Muntari and Motta have been disappointing. Muntari has tenacity but lack the technical abilities to control our midfield when required. Motta is too injury-proned and he has a weak mentality. He requires the whole team to be playing well in order for him to play well.

The lack of dynamism and tenacity is ruining our play. We dont have enough quality in midfield to link-up between our world-class defense and attack. Hence, our best way is always to pump it up and hope our extremely good attacks and bring down the ball, control it and wait for our slow midfield to catch up. Even so, sometimes they dont reach in time, making us proned to stupid counter attacks (e.g. Siena and Bari games).

Stankovic and Sneijder are the only real dynamic midfielders we have. That is not enough. We are placing 100% reliance on Sneijder at the moment and I'm pleased he has lived up to it well. However, he is still not the true trequatista with flair that I think we are lacking. Sneijder is good at shooting, set-pieces and tight-controls but is still nowhere near the flair levels of ronaldinho, kaka, gourcuff and players like this.

To sum it up, our midfield is too slow on and off the ball. It is not compact and dynamic enough not because our midfielders are poor but because of the passive character and nature of our midfielders. Hence, we do not have the quality in midfield to play with 4-3-3 and we dont have quality wingers to play with 4-3-3 as well unless RQ7 can be consistent (i.e. which is impossible at this current rate).

Our best chance is to stick with 4-4-2 diamond. Hopefully the signing of Mariga can bring some strength and tenacity to our midfield. Still, there are many issues to be addressed with our diamond midfield and it would only be truly tested when we play against Chelsea. Lets hope for the best.

Forza Inter

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Kuwait

nice read, keep it up

Fav. Player
    Nedved, Seedorf

good assessment, I agree, Inters midfield is shit. You aren't going to get far with shit brain dead players like muntari in the midfield, the guy is not far removed from a monkey.

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter
    Great piece, keep posting.

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bijo View Post
    good assessment, I agree, Inters midfield is shit. You aren't going to get far with shit brain dead players like muntari in the midfield, the guy is not far removed from a monkey.
    Thanks for sharing your enlightened views with us, but you're not doing a good job of hiding the fact that you're a Juve supporter.

Fav. Player
    ALL inter squad

Italy

muntari and motta we horrible buys sorry
    INTER CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!WE WON THE TREBLE..GRAZIE MOURINHO. NON MOLLARE MAI..."se tringo la mano di un milanista mi lo lavo. se stringo la mano di un juventino mi lo canto"
    milan0 inter 4 inter 2 milan 0 milan+juve=merda
    PAZZA INTER AMALA

Fav. Player
    No Milan player

we need Cesc

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Good post, YgYgYg. I agree completely with you. We've been talking this issue quite some time already and this post was a good summary of the situation with Inter's midfield.

Fav. Player
    Matthäus,Messi,

Germany

Quote Originally Posted by YgYgYg View Post
    Hey guys, this is my first time writing an article so pls forgive me for my naive comments if they are not appropriate.

Looking at our current inter squad, i cannot be more pleased than anything else other than our current midfield line-up. Julio Cesar is world-class. Our defense is really impressive with maicon, samuel, lucio, chivu/santon. Our attack is formidable with eto'o, milito, pandev and balotelli. However, our midfield is nowhere the same standard compared to our world-class attack or defense. Agree?

Mourinho won the UCL in 2004 with an extremely disciplined Porto team. Its midfield consists of the 3 tenacious DMs - Mendes, Costinha and Maniche with Deco as the trequatista. It pretty much resembles our current diamond formation and our current midfield line-up does not seem to lose out too much when compared to the mediorce line-up of Costinha, Maniche and Mendes.

So what is the problem? Yes, the word is tenacious. Mourinho's side triumphed in 2004 because of their discipline and extremely strong defensive mentality. They believed as long as they scored.. they were going to win because they were not going to concede. That was how strong that mentality was. Its discipline coupled with the tenacity of the midfield ensured the opponents had no space or time to control the ball.

Lets compare it with Mourinho's chelsea side then. His 4-3-3 revolutionalized EPL with its 3 ferocious and tenacious midfielders - Makelele, Essien and Lampard. All three of them are extremely dynamic and tenacious. Makelele was the best DM, Essien the best box-to-box tenacious ball-winner and Lampard one of the best finishers as well.

So look at our own midfield again and reflect just a little bit. Its not because 4-3-3 is not able to work in Italy. It's because we don't have enough quality in our midfield to play with just 3 midfielders. Cambiasso and Zanetti are nowhere near tenacious.. they are considered passive. Cambiasso is intelligent, quick-witted but he lacks speed and tenacity. Zanetti is a tank, would not stop running, protects the ball well.. but does not have the impact factor as compared to true midfielders (e.g. essien, lampard & etc.)

Muntari and Motta have been disappointing. Muntari has tenacity but lack the technical abilities to control our midfield when required. Motta is too injury-proned and he has a weak mentality. He requires the whole team to be playing well in order for him to play well.

The lack of dynamism and tenacity is ruining our play. We dont have enough quality in midfield to link-up between our world-class defense and attack. Hence, our best way is always to pump it up and hope our extremely good attacks and bring down the ball, control it and wait for our slow midfield to catch up. Even so, sometimes they dont reach in time, making us proned to stupid counter attacks (e.g. Siena and Bari games).

Stankovic and Sneijder are the only real dynamic midfielders we have. That is not enough. We are placing 100% reliance on Sneijder at the moment and I'm pleased he has lived up to it well. However, he is still not the true trequatista with flair that I think we are lacking. Sneijder is good at shooting, set-pieces and tight-controls but is still nowhere near the flair levels of ronaldinho, kaka, gourcuff and players like this.

To sum it up, our midfield is too slow on and off the ball. It is not compact and dynamic enough not because our midfielders are poor but because of the passive character and nature of our midfielders. Hence, we do not have the quality in midfield to play with 4-3-3 and we dont have quality wingers to play with 4-3-3 as well unless RQ7 can be consistent (i.e. which is impossible at this current rate).

Our best chance is to stick with 4-4-2 diamond. Hopefully the signing of Mariga can bring some strength and tenacity to our midfield. Still, there are many issues to be addressed with our diamond midfield and it would only be truly tested when we play against Chelsea. Lets hope for the best.

Forza Inter
    Great post.
    I still can't swallow that we didn't make a move for Robben in the summer,that would have made our midfield much more reliable for a 4-3-3.
    Yes i know he was not cheap(I think Bayern payed some 25 mio for him)but he is worth every penny,just saw him last weekend live at the Volkswagen-arena...what a finish,what a player..
    Well, i hope for the best,maybe we can still surprise Chelsea-and get a world-class midfielder in the summer too!!!

Fav. Player
    JZ4

injury prone Robben? No thanks. we've had enough problems in that department. Having a strong core of tenacious players in midfield alone won't sole much. Look at Genoa and Napoli. IMO the most important qualities we badly need are technical players with great passing ability. Our passing in midfield is slow and unpredictable. Once we improve this, we can count ourselves as serious UCL contenders.

Fav. Player
    Matthäus,Messi,

Germany

Yeah i know,Robben has his record of injuries but when he's fit he's gold,basically he's the mayor source of the new surging Bayern that's sweeping everything before it-poor Viola,their chances are zero,Jube got their taste by now.Well Robben is anyway gone for good and basically all Bayern fans are very happy they got him if you follow their forums-as i'm fluent in German i do.
    The future...hm,i definatelly would go for Krasic.Again a player i watched play live with CSKA.He's fast,brilliant techique,very good passing and lethal precision when finishing...As far as i know he's been linked to Liverpool but nothing is certain,AC Merda are dreaming of signing him too.Would love to see him in black&blue.The other thing would be VdV.Well this player i've watched more than enough at the HSH-Arena in Hamburg to know he's the real deal,ideal backup as a 10 for Sneijder so we wouldn't depend that much on him or maybe another variation.Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Alcatraz; 11 Feb 10 at 12:13.

Fav. Player
    balotelli, ,zan

i want 2 of these mids in the summer gerrard*,hernanes*,hamsik*,ribery,gourcuff*,krasic * and fabregas and jiminez impressed me against us maybe bring him back and sell muntari

* = we have a chance for them

Fav. Player
    Alvaro Recoba

Montenegro

Hernanes? Good...JOKE! Serie A is not for that type of player.

We lack of class. I would like to saw someone like Jose Maria Gutierez GUTI. A true wonder touch. Coutinho is a future..But there's a long way to go without him.

Fav. Player
    Matthäus,Messi,

Germany

Never say never with Ribery,he's so jumpy with his statements and since the taxes have doubled in Spain from January 1st..hmmm...but he's too expensive,many excellent players-like Krasic-would cost half or less.

Fav. Player
    Milito, Sneijde

Quote Originally Posted by rfU View Post
    IMO the most important qualities we badly need are technical players with great passing ability. Our passing in midfield is slow and unpredictable. Once we improve this, we can count ourselves as serious UCL contenders.
    Our midfield passing IS predictable -- slow & usually to the other team. LOL.

Fav. Player
    balotelli, ,zan

Quote Originally Posted by skyline1908 View Post

We lack of class. I would like to saw someone like Jose Maria Gutierez GUTI. A true wonder touch. Coutinho is a future..But there's a long way to go without him.

have you ever seen hernanes play ? 2 of hernanes/gerrard/hamsik are what we need

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by skyline1908 View Post

Gutieréz? Seriously? I'd prefer Toldo there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    you can all go fuck your mohters, just my 2 cents.

Fav. Player
    balotelli, ,zan

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Interista View Post
    Gutieréz? Seriously? I'd prefer Toldo there.
    i agree hernanes>>>>>>>>>>>>hernanes shit>guti

Fav. Player
    JZ4

Quote Originally Posted by Inter Inter View Post
    Our midfield passing IS predictable -- slow & usually to the other team. LOL.
    sorry thats what i meant. we're slow and predicatable, ZERO creativity. We need a midfield general in the mold of Seba Veron. That would be my preference if we want to play good football.

Fav. Player
    DEJAN DEKI STAN

Quote Originally Posted by rfU View Post
    We need a midfield general in the mold of Seba Veron. That would be my preference if we want to play good football.
    x2 rfu... someone that knows how to play football and how to use his discretion all over the midfield.. it is all predictable or a long lofted pass these days

we dont have that player these days,and even though Dacourt filled that gap when brujita left it was only for one season at most.. and we havent had that judge ever since..

Veron knew when to play a certain ball to a certain player in certain situations, where as this midfield at the moment are always predictable no matter who is playing there..

when Veron was here even with the lesser class players of yesteryear we always had a rhythm.. we were moving grand eloquently and using our flanks to the maximum..if that wasnt working the through balls were always on the ready

a mix between someone like Anderson/Sissoko in terms of physical terms and Ballack in terms of of distribution would be ideal..

and we forced Veron away because of a certain lazy troublemaker
    "And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy",