Thread: Champions League All-Star Game?

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano!

Mexico

Champions League All-Star Game?

As I was watching the NBA All-Star game tonight I was thinking...how awesome would it be if UEFA and other confederations had annual All-Star games just for the fans like the NBA does? Unlimited subs, no hard tackles, and plenty of goals! What prevents that from happening? And what would you guys think of it?

Greece

10 years of FIF
    I doubt teams would spare their players for such a dumb event, even though it would be really great for us fans. I mean, clubs don't even wanna have their players in the national teams, an exhibition match would be just too much to ask.

And when do you play this? Before, during or after the season starts, or in the summer?

Before:
    Teams want their players to train as much as possible with the rest of the team as the pre-season period is the most important part of a manager's year. Not likely

During:
    Just not possible as the players already have too many games, sometimes 3 times in space of 7 days.

After:
    Usually players go on holiday for a while, but some are called up for national teams' games etc. Quite possible to add a game a few days after the CL final, but some leagues are still running at the time. After that it's a bit too late, but not impossible

Summer:
    Players are either on holiday or being part in international tournaments. Not likely.

It's mostly up to the teams, and as there's no sign of them gaining anything, it becomes less likely to have such an event on a regular basis. And having it in the same period as the CL final would be quite bad imo.

Also, the NBA teams just play in the NBA, so there can be a break for such an event, while the Champions League consists of 32 teams from around 15 countries. Can't please them all(you don't need them all but you get the point)

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano!

Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Yuko View Post
    I doubt teams would spare their players for such a dumb event, even though it would be really great for us fans. I mean, clubs don't even wanna have their players in the national teams, an exhibition match would be just too much to ask.

And when do you play this? Before, during or after the season starts, or in the summer?

Before:
    Teams want their players to train as much as possible with the rest of the team as the pre-season period is the most important part of a manager's year. Not likely

During:
    Just not possible as the players already have too many games, sometimes 3 times in space of 7 days.

After:
    Usually players go on holiday for a while, but some are called up for national teams' games etc. Quite possible to add a game a few days after the CL final, but some leagues are still running at the time. After that it's a bit too late, but not impossible

Summer:
    Players are either on holiday or being part in international tournaments. Not likely.

It's mostly up to the teams, and as there's no sign of them gaining anything, it becomes less likely to have such an event on a regular basis. And having it in the same period as the CL final would be quite bad imo.

Also, the NBA teams just play in the NBA, so there can be a break for such an event, while the Champions League consists of 32 teams from around 15 countries. Can't please them all(you don't need them all but you get the point)
    Yeah, the logistics of it probably is a nightmare, but nothing wrong with a bit of dreaming...It'd be damn nice if the clubs cared enough to do this for us...