View Poll Results: Who would you choose?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leonel Messi

41 51.25%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

39 48.75%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Messi vs CR

Messi vs CR

Let's share our opinions about him..
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

Algeria

i think that he is not something very specia
    yes he is a verygood player
    but when he play vs strong defenses he will do nothing

and without xavi and iniesta he is no thing like in argentina nation club with maradona and macherano !!!!

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    I don't agree...

He is one of the best players ever.. i'm not saying THE BEST, because there are other factors that determine that...

He is a champion and a star at barca.. But, to be the best, he must do several other things. He must win the world cup with argentina, and be their best player. Another thing, he must move our from barca, to a weaker team and there show what he can do.. If he can achieve the same he did with Barca, than I'll be saying, yes, he IS the best player of all times..

He is still 22, so there is more yet to be seen.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Not winning the world cup will make his talent look poor? That is crappy logic with all due respect.

He is the best ever. Period.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    With all the superlatives that has been given towards to Messi, I'll try to look at things from a different angle.

It's similar to what Pajo is saying. It will be difficult for Messi to be considered as the best ever by the MEDIA & POPCORN FANS if he doesn't do anything in the World Cup. Hell, I'll take it further, it'll be difficult for Messi to be a bigger legend than Maradona if he doesn't anything spectacular in a World Cup to England.

Proof: Messi have been spectacular since the 07/08 season but it takes the media so long to recognize that he is the best in the world until he destroyed Arsenal yesterday. Many were still considering that Rooney or even Drogba or Torres was better and it takes a spectacular performance against Arsenal, who by the way only have freaking Silvestre & Vermaelen as defenders, for Messi to be considered this good.

Just to be clear, crushing England in the WC is what is required for Messi to be considered legendary by the press. But for me, clearly if he continues at this rate even if he doesn't win the WC in his career, Messi will be the best player ever.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
    Not winning the world cup will make his talent look poor? That is crappy logic with all due respect.

He is the best ever. Period.
    He is very good but he is not the best ever. Diego is still better. Messi is a fantastic player but has been helped a lot by always playing in a very good/great side. Diego won games/trophies virtually on his own for napoli and argentini. The barca and the argentine sides that messi has played for has immensely more talented than those sides.

Another factor is messi played in an open attacking league which allowed him much more space to express his talent while diego played in the toughest defensive league and made greats like baresi,bergomi,ferri,ect look like fools.

To me Messi is a great but its ridiculous to call him the best ever imho.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Respect and understand your view Stef, but.... I believe footballers now are generally fitter and mentally/tactically way ahead of the past. To me Messi isnt playing against GF 3, Bergomi etc etc , but he is standing heads and shoulders above the rest of the talent he plays with. To me when you shine in a team of superstars and not just shine, OUTSHINE them you are special.

Maradona in this day and age would have struggled to be fit and start in any of todays football teams. Messi is not just another winger who is lucky to be playing in an open league he has that something extra you see in greats and he has the most of it. Hopefully he will change your view in the future. And also lets hope he sucks against us.

Fav. Player
    L'Inter mercato

Monaco

What more can you say about him as a player? The best, the magician, the alien,... Like I've said, if Barca will beat us I can still claim that we have played against Barca and Messi. And we all were witnesses.

Now what about Messi as a person? Some of y'all may have noticed that "the best player on planet earth" or "The Majesterial" (Ray Hudson quotes) Lionel Andrés Messi is a very kind person. Just nice. Intelligent and down to earth. Humble and grateful for his success. Just follow his interviews. Off the pitch he doesn't need the spotlight for making the headlines. I think that's also one of the secrets to his success, what makes him so special at least.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
    Respect and understand your view Stef, but.... I believe footballers now are generally fitter and mentally/tactically way ahead of the past. To me Messi isnt playing against GF 3, Bergomi etc etc , but he is standing heads and shoulders above the rest of the talent he plays with. To me when you shine in a team of superstars and not just shine, OUTSHINE them you are special.

Maradona in this day and age would have struggled to be fit and start in any of todays football teams. Messi is not just another winger who is lucky to be playing in an open league he has that something extra you see in greats and he has the most of it. Hopefully he will change your view in the future. And also lets hope he sucks against us.
    If diego was born in this era he would have likely taken care of the fitness aspect. Fact is didn't need to in his era.

Again not saying messi isn't a great, he is just not agreeing with him being the greatest ever. For me Diego is still that and none of the current generation gets close to unsurping him.
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    El Cuchu, Bobo,

Diego was a playmaker, a trequartista and a forward at the same time....Diego was the football...i mean...look how easy he kicked that ball and look at the result...and that's nothin..just a free kick during his presentation at Naples

overweight while sniffin cocaine..

give me a call when you see another player like Maradona.

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Gimme your number

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Hey, if we're talking about a player's TALENT, maybe Maradona is better.

But no, we're talking about what they achieved on the pitch, aren't we? Otherwise I'll put Balotelli's, Cassano's & Recoba's names also.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Maradona played for relatively bad teams at the time and made them great.

Messi plays with the best offensive team of the decade and Argentina is very strong at the time in comparison to let's say 1986.

When I see Messi winning the scudetto with a team like Lazio or Parma (of the current season) then I will say that he is on par with Maradona.

So far, for me, Messi is the best active player. But I am of the opinion that football quality has fallen.

14. Thanks (1): I4E

Quote Originally Posted by Yuko View Post
    Maradona played for relatively bad teams at the time and made them great.

Messi plays with the best offensive team of the decade and Argentina is very strong at the time in comparison to let's say 1986.

When I see Messi winning the scudetto with a team like Lazio or Parma (of the current season) then I will say that he is on par with Maradona.

So far, for me, Messi is the best active player. But I am of the opinion that football quality has fallen.
    Well said.

I think it's not fair to compare Messi as the best player ever.. but anyways he is doing fantastic job so far, and the main competitor to win the Ballon d'Or again.
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    For the Ballon D'or... there is Messi then a little daylight later is C.Ron and then lightyears is the rest.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    Hey, if we're talking about a player's TALENT, maybe Maradona is better.

But no, we're talking about what they achieved on the pitch, aren't we? Otherwise I'll put Balotelli's, Cassano's & Recoba's names also.
    You really want to compare diego with recoba,cassano and mario. If we are talking about just talent the one quote from platini about diego always stands out for, he said diego can do with an orange with zizou can do with a football.

On the pitch diego had a goal ratio of .526(258 in 490 games) compared to messi's ratio of 0.588(80 in 136 games). So basicly diego playing deeper in a more defensive league for a large part of his career is only very slightly behind messi's ratio.

If anyone knows where I can find stats on the amount of assists that would be great. Personally reckon diego has more.

If you want to compare achievements on the pitch in terms of personal awards and trophies won han that's a bit hard. One of the main reasons being the balon d'or wasn't open to non european players till 1995 so diego never won it even though he would have won it quite a few times if he was elligible. While the fifa world player of the year award was only introduced in 1991 when he was past his prime. So which individual awards was there he could win.

As for club winning titles it was much harder for him because he played in smaller teams for the most part. If he had stayed with barca and not had the falling out things may have turned out differently or if he had gone to a bigger club then napoli but we got change history. Also remember in terms in winning champions league back then only the winner of the domestic league could enter the champions cup so diego only ever got two chances to play in the competition.

Its always extremely hard to compare across generations but for me nothing messi has done puts him above diego. Maybe in years to come he will do it. But I have my doudts.
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    il Capitano

Bahrain

98 Forum Supporter
    Generational comparisons are impossible. Pele was the best in his time. Maradano was the best in his time. Messi is the best now. Other than that we can't say anything else. The balls changed: real leather, synthetic leather, polystyrene, syntactic foam. No comparison. The pitches changed: unmaintained grass, hard surface grass, synthetic "plastic pitches", rubber infill, real grass. The shoes changed... the dietary care and nutrition changed. The training methods changed. The fabrics they wear, the laws of the game (majorly in 90, 92, 97), and even the refereeing standards, even the way fans chanted and supported players. Every single element of the game is different and if you were to time travel Maradona to 2010 or Messi to 1986 neither of them would have any clue what to do and they will both be lost.

But again, they were the best at a given point in time, and in that, they are equal.

Fav. Player
    ÉverMirandaGag

Hungary

He does these fantastic things when defence are more decisive in world football. That's th best argument beside him being World Number 1 ever.

When summer Argie will win WC, nobody wont question his status quo.

Fav. Player
    Alvaro Recoba

Montenegro

Maradona is the best player ever..There's no one like him. No one will ever be. God of football.

Don't forget R9 too.

Messi is n. 3 on my list.

Spain

Someone who didn't see in action Maradona, Beckenbauer, Eusebio, Van Basten should never talk in the debate of who is the best player ever, if you only follow football since the last 10 years and didn't see any old games, Messi, Zidane or Ronaldo can be better for you but that's not real history, maybe your history.

22. Thanks (2): Doffy, drake