Thread: Roma vs Inter Report -- (I am Back!)

Roma vs Inter Report -- (I am Back!)

Hello Interfriends,

Well Iam back from my vacation refreshed and recharged, all the good my trip did to lower my blood pressure was instantly made useless after watching Inter play Roma at the Stadio Olimpico. The match was a joy to watch as a neutral, but for fans of both teams the only fact is that niether Inter or Roma at this point have the defence needed to win the Scudetto.

So what do you get when you have two attacking teams without any defence on the pitch? An amazing soccer game that resembled more a boxing match full of punches and counter punches. Its fun to watch but when both fighters are allowed to fire at will the end result is a double knockout. That was Roma vs Inter. Great to watch, full of goals, but useless in terms of points needed to win a championship. The 3-3 draw between Inter and Roma was a treat for the eyes, but did little to help either side move up the standings.

The only thing that did rise however was my blood pressure again. Part because it was so exciting to watch, but mostly because the defensive lapses drive me crazy and after being up 3-1 with half hour to play Inter should have brought home the 3 points.

It can be said that Roma was riding the high of a new coach and had nothing to lose. Inter on the other hand are now 5 games into the season and still have only one win under Mancini in Serie A. The Dr. Jekel and Mr. Hyde syndrome is still evident with Inter as they have shown some amazing play in the Champions league, but can't find consistency in Serie A.

This inconsistency translated to this game where they played an awful first half giving Roma the full run of play and were lucky to go into half time with a 1-1 scoreline as Cambiasso scores at the stroke of half time to cancel out Montella's early goal at the 8th minute. Inter had a brilliant start to the second half scoring 2 goals in the first 15 minutes with Veron and Recoba making it 3-1. We can forgive Toldo for allowing in the 3-2 goal as Totti scored an amazing free kick that was so perfect no goalie in the world could have stopped it. But at that point Inter should have held the result instead played sloppy at the back and allowed DeRossi to tie from close range.

In the first half Inter were not up to par and Roma was first to every ball and clearly won the midfield battle. J. Zanetti was playing out of position on the left side, Burdisso still needs to settle, while Stankovic is clearly over played and needs to rest. Recoba was playing wide in the midfield and never found his position. The positives were Cambiasso in front of the defence who did very well to cover and our attacking sense going forward. In the first half though, Inter's movement was slow and predictable and often turned to individual efforts. Martins then needs to be subbed as he twists an ankle from a vicious DeRossi tackle. Mancini brings in Davids and moves Recoba up front.

The move brings profit as at the 46th minute. Recoba crosses into the area and Cambiasso is there to tie the match at 1-1 just before half time. Del Neri decides to bring in Dellas for Panucci but its Inter who come out flying in the second half. They begin to play amazing football as the ball movement was fast and accurate. From a corner kick, Recoba finds Veron at the far post and he hits a one timer that deflects off of Mexes and into the net making it 2-1. Three minutes later Stankovic finds Recoba with a perfect pass and he beats 2 defenders enters the area and scores the 3-1 goal in the top corner with a great strike.

It should have have been game over at this point. Roma however also have talent going forward and at the 12th minute Totti scores a wonderful free kick to make it 3-2 and re-open the match. It is his 100th goal and it was a stunner of a shot right into the top corner from 25 meters out. Inter does not react well and the defense began to crack. The game moved back and forth with both teams going for it all. It really could have gone either way with Inter making it 4-2 or Roma drawing 3-3. Unfortunately for the Inter fans, DeRossi was left all alone at the far post and he scores in the six yard box to end the game in a draw.

What can we say, It was a pleasure to watch but we have allowed too many goals so far in Serie A (11 in 5 matches I think??). Mancini needs to fix this flaw because there is no point in having the potential to score 3 goals a game if we also have the potential to let in 5 goals against! Its early days still, but Mancini needs to bring our Champions League form to Serie A and start putting some points in the win column.

Eddy

Good to have your reports back.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    Nice Report as usual Eddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
    Guarin can be categorised as a box-to-box midfielder because you know that most of his team mates will be frantically running back to their own box soon after he runs at the opposition's.

Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

great to have you back, eddy,

nice report..!
    -----------------------

nice report
    Forza inter!

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

30 FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Frisko's Match Report

Damn it, another draw. We can't really complain, we didn't deserve more than that. We showed once again that we have a big heart, and sublime individual technique, but yesterday we looked like a tactical disaster.

DEFENCE I struggle to understand why things are going so bad there.
    Burdisso (it was the first time I saw him properly) wasn't bad at all. He sometimes reminds me of Laurent Blanc, his confidence mostly.
    Cordoba wasn't great, it seems that he's always about to make a bad tackle, and his positioning is not good.
    Ze Maria had a bad night, he's got most of the responsibility for Montella's goal (Burdisso and Cordoba missed the headers to clear the danger, but he failed to challenge Montella whatsoever). I don't know if it's because Capitano was playing LB, but in many occasions we were playing with a back-3. with Ze Maria going central alongside Cafe and Burdisso.
    Overall, while there was nothing we could have done to stop Totti's magical free kick, we conceded 2 very sloppy goals. Unforgivable.
    By the way, was Dellas offside when he headed the ball to De Rossi for the 3-3? I only saw one replay but he looked offside when the free kick was taken.

MIDFIELD That's where things went VERY wrong last night. If we learned something last night, it's that Chino can not play in midfield, he can only play as a support striker. He lost so many balls in midfield, and he puts the whole midfield terribly off balance.
    Yesterday the midfield wasn't able to put together one single good move. It was very untidy, and it lacked width, and aggression. The Roma players constantly looked hungrier than us.
    2 positive notes:
    1) Edgar Davids: he lost some balls, but he was committed, aggressive, and effective.
    2) Esteban Cambiasso: IMO, he was the best player on the pitch.

ATTACK It's a bit difficult to judge it. For one thing, the team, especially the midfield, didn't support the strikers. Also, the Roma defence was really impressive.
    Adriano was locked in a cage, and he kept dropping back looking for space and balls.
    Martins wasn't impressive either, but again, he can't play on his own, and they kept CROSSING balls at him! Adriano wasn't in the penalty area, and we wasted so many balls crossing to Oba, when Pellizzoli is like twice as tall.
    Another very annoying thing was the huge amount of shots from well outside the area, never really dangerous. Veron, Stanko and Adriano were all guilty of that.

TOLDO 6 He was faultless on all 3 goals, let down by the defenders. He punched danger away.

ZE MARIA 5 Some good runs, but maybe he's not strong enough in the challenges to play RB.

BURDISSO 6 A couple of bad mistakes, but not a bad performance after all. His confidence impressed me.

CORDOBA 5 He's not in form, poor positioning is his bigger problem.

J ZANETTI 6 Our Capitano gave everything as usual. One beautiful cross. As I said, he played in quite an advanced position, not helping the other 3 defenders enough.

VERON 5 He's the leader of midfield, and we barely noticed a midfield last night.

CAMBIASSO 8 The best player on the pitch. Good passing, he won several balls back. He scored, making his move with perfect timing. He did not make one single mistake. Stunning.

STANKOVIC 6 Not as brilliant as usual. His assist for Chino's 3rd goal was finger-licking good.

DAVIDS 7 A couple of lost balls, but he made his presence felt. For good. He brought determination and fighting spirit to the team. He showed he can play well on the wing and cross too.

RECOBA THE MIDFIELDER 4 His presence upset the balance of midfield. In the first half he lost so many balls that I would need a calculator to count them all. Only good thing he managed was the cross for Cambiasso.

RECOBA THE SUPPORTING STRIKER 8 Fast, great dribbling, he scored a wonderful goal, with superb control, great first touch to get rid of Mexes, and a powerful, accurate shot. A dream of a goal.

ADRIANO 5.5 Lots of hard work from the Brazilian. He dropped back to help the defence on every set piece. The Roma defence did a great job to stop him. He's human.

MARTINS 5 He couldn't get in the game. He's out for a month, after giving us a big scare.

MANCINI 5 Mancio didn't get it right this time. Matrix should have played, with Cordoba LB and J Zanetti in his natural role. Recoba as midfielder is a failure, we can't afford to try that ever again.

One last thing about this game: when Recoba scored the 3-1, the camera was ever so close to the players, and you could hear them celebrating. Capitano was shouting 'Si'! Si'! (Yes! Yes!). Recoba said something in Portuguese, almost in tears. Then Veron arrived, the grin on his face was priceless.

Veron is fast becoming one of my favourite players, not just because of his incredible skills, but for his attitude, always 100% committed and with a great hunger for victory. He's a true leader, thanks Inter for signing him.

We're only 3 points off Milan, and Juve is about to lose Trezeguet for several months if he undergoes surgery, and Zlatan is likely to get disqualified for a couple of games after being caught on camera hitting a Udinese player. So much for Juve's squad depth, huh? Good luck with Zalayeta upfront on his own.

We're still in it. NON MOLLARE MAI. 2000 posts
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Thanx for a great report eddy. Nice comments Frisko, glad to see Burdisso is starting to convince you.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    Frisko's Match Report
    One last thing about this game: when Recoba scored the 3-1, the camera was ever so close to the players, and you could hear them celebrating. Capitano was shouting 'Si'! Si'! (Yes! Yes!). Recoba said something in Portuguese, almost in tears. Then Veron arrived, the grin on his face was priceless.
    yes i totaly agree with this .. my favorate player now is VDM .. guys did u see him when we score the 3rd goal .. he was so happy it is like he score the goal . this guy is the best for me remind me of the great zamorano . every time we score the goal even if the goal not by bam bam he run screaming
    FORZA VDM

i really hope veiri learn from him . (when oba score the 2nd goal last game he had only silly smile in his face )

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

30 FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    The moment of the celebration of the 3rd goal is already one of the picture of the season.

Hearing the guys was just beautiful. I wish I could understand what Recoba and Veron said.

My brother, a milanista, after seeing that told me: "look at J Zanetti, if there's a guy in the world who deserves to win, that's him".
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion