Thread: Inter vs Udinese Report

Inter vs Udinese Report

Hello Interfriends,

Inter have earned a second win in Serie A with a 3-1 win over Udinese at the San Siro. With 2 goals by Adriano each one better than the next were made even more spectacular since he just got off a 12 hour flight back home from National Team duty. The story of the day however is the goal by Christian Vieri who scored the third goal of the match and his first since March 7, 2004.

With the past week full of National Team dut, Mancini had the full squad at his disposal for only a few days leading up to this match. Given conditions of returning players as well as defensive problems to resolve Mancini made various changes to the lineup leaving out a few starters. Toldo, Stankovic, J. Zanetti and Cordoba all started the match from the bench as Mancini plays Fontana in goal with Ze Maria, Burdisso, Materazzi and Favalli as the back four.

Mancini needs the opposition be filtered through the midfield and put C.Zanetti and Cambiasso in the middle with Veron on the left, Van Der Meyde on the right with Vieri and Adriano up front. Udinese responds with a 3-5-2 formation with Jankoulovski and Felipe wide players but missing important players like Pizarro and Iaquinta.

Inter get off to a great start as Adriano secures the match in the first 11 minutes. Despite just arriving from Brazil late Saturday, Adriano shows why he is the best player in the world right now by scoring two spectacular goals. His first comes at the 7th minute as he scores a powerful free kick with a blast that curls to the left of the keeper. His second is pure magic as Adriano runs ball on foot for 70 meters beating 3-4 players and then shooting past the Udinese Keeper from outside the box!!

Two amazing goals that light up the San Siro and allow Inter to control the game and save some energy and effort for Valencia and Milan still to come later this week. Udinese never really threaten in the first half allowing Inter to control well and went forward with the another mission: Recuperate Vieri!

Montella who scored yesterday tied Vieri with 118 goals so it was up to Vieri to take back his record and the team rallied around him in support. Vieri ran alot, made space and had some good touches but was denied a goal in the first half by De Sanctis.

The second half starts in favor of Udinese who with one substition seem to resolve there problems as DiMichele comes in for Felipe and Jankolovski returns to the left side. Udinese now playing with 3 strikers begin to pressure the Inter defence and with Mauri who gets a through ball that beats the Inter defence re-opens the match making it 2-1 at the 5 minute mark of the second half.

With DiMichele playing high and Mauri making many central run's Udinese went forward looking to rescue a point and for 5-10 minutes had Inter on the back foot and the defence once again making mistakes. Mancini decides to plug the gap bringing on J.Zanetti for Ze Maria, Davids for Van Der Meyde and Cordoba for Favalli.

The changes work and Inter take control again allowing Vieri to score the third goal at the 15th minute of the second half. Vieri collects a through ball and enters the area while at the same time shielding off a defender. He cooly slots the ball past the keeper to make it 3-1. It was an important goal for Vieri who finally sees the light at the end of the tunnel but also very important for the team as it takes Udinese out of the match and securing the 3 points.

With the win, Inter start off a tough week in the best of ways and can now hopefully recuperate some strikers like Recoba and Martins while at the same time plan for two huge matches against Valencia in the Champions league on Wednesday and of course the DERBY against Milan on Sunday!

Eddy

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Great report eddy.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Fantastic. Just one mistake though, Vieri's last goal wasn't on the 7th of March but on the 4th of April against Juve, albeit it was a penalty.

Eddy, can you review the Adriano - Vieri combination to a further detail please? Was Adriano sacrificed and played behind and to the left of Vieri? Is there any great move or combination between the 2 of them? I am a bit skeptical, as usual, because the goals that Adriano scored were totally individual efforts and not as a result of a team goal. But I have no proof to back my skepticism.

Thanx!

Handyo

Hi Handoyo,

In regards to the Vieri/Adriano partnership I would say that yes Vieri is playing high up front while Adriano is playing slightly behind, and is swapping between the left or right side.

I know many people are saying that Adriano was or is sacrificed by playing behind Vieri. However I think this is the wrong word to use and the wrong way to look at it.

Inter is basically playing a 4-4-2 formation and that means the two strikers need to play off eachother. One needs to be the pillar up front while the other needs to play off the ball and move around to create space.

This is the case with Adriano and Vieri. Problem is both are big men, both are the pillars up front, but both cannot play in the same role.

For that reason Adriano is being pushed back behind and to either side of Vieri. Not because he is being sacrificed but because he is better at it then Vieri.

Yes it would be ideal for Adriano to be the man up front and if he was playing with Recoba or Martins he would be. The reason is because Martins or Recoba are more fluid and quick with the ball, while Adriano is strong and great in the last 3rd of the pitch.

For this partnership though, Adriano is playing the support role when Vieri is on the pitch because Adriano is quicker, better and more fluid than Vieri.

One of them needs to play behind, both cannot stay static so given the charachteristics of both players Mancini is right to move Adriano back because moving Vieri there would be counter-productive.

As for the combo between the two of them, I would say they did well today. Adriano scored two great goals, but he also looked for Vieri often, playing one-two's and sending him through balls.

If you look at Vieri today, he was supplied many balls by Adriano. The main one in the first half came from Adriano who was wide on the right side and he played a lovely ball into Vieri who almost scored if not for the keeper.

Vieri's goal game from a headed flick on from Adriano and Vieri collected and ran into the area to score. As you can see they combined well at least a few times.

Basically the combo needs one player to play farther back then the other to work. Just like any striking partnership if both are static it becomes more difficult to score. With Adriano and Vieri it becomes more evidant since both have alot of the same charachteristics and for that reason we have to choose one to play the support role.

Choosing between the two, Adriano gets the job not to be sacrificed but because he is 100 times better than Vieri in that role.

Hope that makes sense.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Thanx a lot Eddy! I didn't have the chance to see the match and being the pessimist that I am, I thought we only managed to win because of Adriano's individual moments of brilliance. Your post has clear all my doubts away.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Ayrton Senna

Finland

Thanks for the great report and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy
    Yes it would be ideal for Adriano to be the man up front and if he was playing with Recoba or Martins he would be. The reason is because Martins or Recoba are more fluid and quick with the ball, while Adriano is strong and great in the last 3rd of the pitch.
    What ive seen and when Adriano plays with Martins, his positioning is exactly the same than when he plays with Vieri. With Recoba, its a whole different story.

Only problem i can see in Adriano-Martins partnership is that our wingers plus Adriano keeps crossing the ball to Martins who is way too short to win some aerial battles against opposite team defenders.
    Peppino Prisco: "La gioia pi grande? Scontata. Il Milan in B. E per ben due volte: una... a pagamento e una... gratis. Sono dell 'idea che una retrocessione cancelli almeno cinque scudetti conquistati e che la vittoria di una Mitropa Cup elimini i residui"

Peppino Prisco: "Io non rubo il campionato, e in Serie B non son mai stato"

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Great report Eddie, thanks a lot.

I have a couple of questions?

1) How did Cristiano Zanetti play?

2) How about Cambiasso? And did CZ+Cambiasso work well?

3) Tell me how V D Meyde did today please.

Thanks
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Hi Frisko,

C. Zanetti played well in my opinion. I think he always plays well. He is the type of player that does not jump out at you but the work that he does is behind the scenes so to speak to but very important to the squad.

Today he covered well and did the dirty work but of course he is coming off a injury and he faded as time went on. He never lost his position though.

Cambiasso is doing a great job and today played higher up in the midfield since he was partnered with C. Zanetti rather than sitting just above the defence.

The partnership looked good, and actually suits Inter since they have been playing with 2 defensive center-mids since the Cuper days. iam not saying this is the best solution but it does provide cover. All though it takes away from the creativity and attacking aspect.

I guess the move to bring them together worked, but it sacrificed Veron to the left wing. He did well going forward but provided no cover on the left side leaving it all to Favalli.

It worked today but its a very risky move. Soon as Jankoulovski went back to the Left side you could see Inter start to suffer more! We must be careful against better opponents.

VDM did a good a job. Nothing spectacular today but he almost had a goal with a half volley that just went wide.

Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

great report Eddy as usual,...
    -----------------------

Awesome Report Eddy ,

I agree with you that Vieiri-Adriano can work pretty well since alot of guys (me included) thought that it won't work but thing is Adriano can play in two positions either as a pure striker (aerieal balls is his weakest-point) or as a support striker behind vieri or Cruz . This is so great because this will provides alot of confusion for the opponents since they won't know if Adriano will play as a pure striker or as a support striker . Vieri however if regained his form will be very important in the aerial challenges since no one except Him n cruz excels at this . Thus we have alot of depth in attack , seeing as we have Recoba , martins who can play wit adriano as a pure striker or Vieri and Cruz who can even play as a support striker .

I disagree however with saying that VDM was good . No though he is one of my favourties but he has his times , I mean he sometimes is a shadow of VDM , selfish , no responsibility and that half-volley your talking about if he rather crossed the ball , Both Adriano and Bobo will free to pounce but he shot from a very narrow angle .
    Campioni D' Italia !!!!!!

"It's an immense emotion" Roberto Mancini after the 15th Scudetto

"we'll win one thing at a time. Everything is special when you win, winning is always nice, especially at a team like Inter." Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Thanks a lot Eddie. One last thing please: was really Matrix our captain? If so, why do you think Mancio did that, instead of Bobo? Is Mancio trying to give confidence to other players? (Pasquale/Materazzi)
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Can you tell us a bit more about burdisso's performance Eddy??
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com