Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Soccer

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

86 FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    Clint Dempsey!!! Nice job by Donovan as a sub. Almost a year to the day he scores the big goal against Algeria.

Now if they can learn to win the finals against most likely Mexico....

Unless they somehow play 10x better I can't see this happening. 1-0 to Panama?? I know Mexico needed ET to beat Honduras, but Honduras is much better than Panama...
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    This season is unfortunately a 5 season setback. We were 1.5 mercato away from becoming a top team, now won't really have expectations of winning an important trophy until 2025.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    Unless they somehow play 10x better I can't see this happening. 1-0 to Panama?? I know Mexico needed ET to beat Honduras, but Honduras is much better than Panama...
    Well, it happened in the first 25 minutes. Then it's to the infinite power. Awful defense/midfield.

So embarrassing, and I can only pray Bradley goes.

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    Well, it happened in the first 25 minutes. Then it's to the infinite power. Awful defense/midfield.

So embarrassing, and I can only pray Bradley goes.

It was like the Confed. Cup...Mexico was asleep. The two goals woke them up and then they just steamrolled the US. What a goal by dos Santos!
    This season is unfortunately a 5 season setback. We were 1.5 mercato away from becoming a top team, now won't really have expectations of winning an important trophy until 2025.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Panama

46 10 years of FIF
    hey seriously?

we have made a lot of progress in the past few years just so you can say my country isn't good enough or anything...

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Efrain21C View Post
    hey seriously?

we have made a lot of progress in the past few years just so you can say my country isn't good enough or anything...

I never said anything like that. I said Honduras is much better, which is a fact...no need to get uptight.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Panama

46 10 years of FIF
    I never said anything like that. I said Honduras is much better, which is a fact...no need to get uptight.
    Well, you said it like, just 1- 0? wtf?

that's how I understood it

Old name
    Analrapist

Bosnia Herzegovina

Most Missed Member 10 years of FIF
    Bump for no reason.

8. Thanks (1): Visca

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Estonia

10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Well, it's about time Bradley is dismissed. Now that idiot Lalas will be on ESPN for a day

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...er-team-072811

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

I thought Bradley did a good job with what he had. The USA's problem is talent for 1. You can only go so far with a team that can only boast of 3/maybe 4 average players. The rest a below average, if not wayyyy below average.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by galoise View Post
    I thought Bradley did a good job with what he had. The USA's problem is talent for 1. You can only go so far with a team that can only boast of 3/maybe 4 average players. The rest a below average, if not wayyyy below average.
    Talent is an issue, but I do think the motivation is bad too. I'm still a little angered how we concede goals so early normally. Dempsey and Donovan, with a little bit of Tim Howard are the only "quality" players IMO. It is true the talent is not so great though.

Zaire

IMO there was a lack of identity as well. Quite a few decent attackers but an attacking formation was rarely used with players in their best positions. When it was used (ie Mexico), the defense was poorly organized and just plain bad. The next coach will have to deal with an aging squad as well. Dempsey, Bocanegra, Cherundulo, and Donovan will all be 30 or older by the next world cup. The youth has shown signs of being good but no consistency has been displayed.

Step 1: Find Identity Step 2: Gain consistency Step 3: Beat Mexico

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Talent was not the issue. Bradley was completely incompetent. If they actually hire a good manager, which I really doubt they will, you guys will see that they can win when they have a manager who knows what they are doing...

Klinsmann is definitely not the answer though...too bad Hiddink is with Turkey, I honestly think he could take this team to the semifinals of the WC...Löw was the man behind their run in 2006 and it is clear because he repeated the feat in 2010, while Klinsmann was dismissed with Bayern in 2nd place and out of CL in the Quarterfinals...

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

Talent was not the issue. Bradley was completely incompetent. If they actually hire a good manager, which I really doubt they will, you guys will see that they can win when they have a manager who knows what they are doing...

Klinsmann is definitely not the answer though...too bad Hiddink is with Turkey, I honestly think he could take this team to the semifinals of the WC...Löw was the man behind their run in 2006 and it is clear because he repeated the feat in 2010, while Klinsmann was dismissed with Bayern in 2nd place and out of CL in the Quarterfinals...
    U probably won't like this headline then:
    Jürgen Klinsmann hired as coach
    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...-national-team

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by galoise View Post
    U probably won't like this headline then:

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...-national-team

To tell you the truth, I could care less because I support Italia over this team, I just knew they would pick the most predictable person. No thought in the choice at all, Jurgen was interested, so they ran to him like he was fucking Mourinho or something. Klinsmann will be major upgrade to Bradley, but I definitely do not see them being a potential threat under him.

Of course this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong...we shall see I guess.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    To tell you the truth, I could care less because I support Italia over this team, I just knew they would pick the most predictable person. No thought in the choice at all, Jurgen was interested, so they ran to him like he was fucking Mourinho or something. Klinsmann will be major upgrade to Bradley, but I definitely do not see them being a potential threat under him.

Of course this is just my opinion and I could be completely wrong...we shall see I guess.
    An upgrade is an upgrade. We'll see. I thought they'd go completely outside the box rather than hiring Klinsmann. I agree with you about Low being behind the 2006 run. Especially how young the 2010 team was too.

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Estonia

I really like this move. Maybe not the best coach in the world, but he has a very strong pedigree as a player and had a good run with Germany in 2006. I think what the US lacked the most is confidence, and a true belief that they can accomplish big things. Constantly having American coaches is part of the problem, as USA has never really done anything major in the international game. I think a foreign coach who has won a world cup will be a boost, if only because he has seen the promised land and maybe can convince the squad that they are able to get there themselves.

I agree that talent has not been a huge issue in the past, but it could be going forward. The aging squad is a huge concern and I have not seen enough from the youth that we will have a strong showing in 2014.

Either way, Jurgen is definitely a step in the right direction, IMO. Of course the fact that he is a former Inter player doesn't hurt my opinion of him...

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    I really like this move. Maybe not the best coach in the world, but he has a very strong pedigree as a player and had a good run with Germany in 2006. I think what the US lacked the most is confidence, and a true belief that they can accomplish big things. Constantly having American coaches is part of the problem, as USA has never really done anything major in the international game. I think a foreign coach who has won a world cup will be a boost, if only because he has seen the promised land and maybe can convince the squad that they are able to get there themselves.

I agree that talent has not been a huge issue in the past, but it could be going forward. The aging squad is a huge concern and I have not seen enough from the youth that we will have a strong showing in 2014.

Either way, Jurgen is definitely a step in the right direction, IMO. Of course the fact that he is a former Inter player doesn't hurt my opinion of him...

I would look more at his time with Bayern than his time with Germany. Low was the mastermind behind the run in 2006. Klinsmann is a very average coach and it just seems that USA jumped at him just because he showed interest. They wanted him for awhile and I just do not see the attraction. Then again this is the same federation that hired Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley so I guess I should not be too surprised.

He was given complete freedom at Bayern, able to assemble an entire staff around him and get the players he wanted yet he mucked it up and was canned before the end of the season. It seems everyone is forgetting his 5-2 home loss to Werder Bremen or the 5-1 embarrassment to Wolfsburg. Heynckes stepped in and won 4 of the last 5 games, including beating Stuttgart on the final day to secure second place.

Of course he had some great games as well, but 7 losses in the Bundesliga just sticks out like sore thumb to me.

Hitzfeld - 6 losses
    Hitzfeld - 5 losses
    Hitzfeld - 6 losses
    Magath - 5 losses
    Magath - 3 losses
    Magath/Hitzfeld - 5 losses each
    Hitzfeld - 2 losses
    Klinsmann - 7 losses
    van Gaal - 4 losses
    van Gaal - 7 losses

van Gaal tied him last season with the most league losses in the last 10 years for Bayern...

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Estonia

Yea I've heard his time at Bayern was disaster, but I don't know Bundesliga well enough to comment. Like you said, this is the organization that hired Arena, and Bradley. I consider both of them to be very good American coaches, but I like the idea of getting a foreign leader to give the program a bit of legitimacy. The fact that he's won a WC is nice, and Germany's run in 2006 came with a lot of pressure and media coverage. Whether or not he was the true 'mastermind' I can't say, but his butt was on the line and they ended up with a very respectable showing in the tournament.

I'm not ready to call a semifinal run in 2014 for the Yanks, but I think it's an improvement.

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Estonia

I just decided I'm going to USA v. Mexico AUG 10 in Philly. Anyone else?