Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formation discussion

Fav. Player
    Lothar Matthäus

Serbia

Formation discussion

I didn't really know where to post this as I am pretty green in this forum.

I will post it here for now, but mods please feel free to move it if you think it belongs somewhere else.

One of my favorite football journalists, Johnathan Wilson from the Guardian wrote an interesting piece on the 4-2-1-3 and what makes it tick. I thought it would be interesting for some of us to read the article and discuss it a bit as it seems that Rafa is pretty set on using the slight variation of the 4-2-3-1 system for Inter.

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...1-3-the-future

I sense the problems we have been discussing the entire time, or at least the problems I have seen with it at Inter on a different forum.

Sneijder drops deep to the two holding midfielders as Johnathan points out in his article but the lack of interchange between Eto'o, Pandev, and Sneijder and their movement is what limits our current squad.

If we can figure that out, then we will begin to enjoy the fruits of this system. And if one of the two holding midfielders has to be more creative in going forward, then Mariga or Motta will make or break our season.
    Zenga, Brehme, Ferri, Bergomi, Mandorlini, Matthäus, Bianchi, Berti, Matteoli, Diaz, Serena. Trapattoni.

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

Yeah I read it quite some time. Good article overall, however we already play/ed with this system. Jose did it, and it was similar to how Rafa playes it. The differences come with the fact Rafa press higher up, the deffense is higher up, and the forwards change their positions from time to time.

But if we won last year with this system, it means that we did alright with implementing this system, and our players did a good job.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    I changed the title of this thread, so that we can talk about formations we use more generally.

This article from FCInternews states that Rafa might change to rombo.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.fcinternews.it/%3Faction%3Dread%26idnotizia%3D26642&hl=en&langpai r=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=ISO-8859-1

Rombo is what our player material is more suited to than to 4-2-3-1

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter
    I had a feeling we would go back to the Rombo. Seems natural to me, Eto'o and Pandev will play where they're more suited (more so Pandev who had some killer games partnering Milito.) Sneijder will have 2 box strikers to pick out from, as opposed to just Milito. Sneijder won't have to drop back as far hopefully. And if we can field Motta and Mariga on the sides, they will hopefully contribute enough attackingly between them. Also given the shortage of forwards (in particular wingers) the rombo makes more sense

Fav. Player
    Black & Blue

Poland

The best to do in our current situation, considering we're very short in forward department, would be to juggle between 4-4-2 Rombo, and 4-2-3-1, with the first using mostly in Serie A, while the second as our prime formation for CL. It's not ideal, but this probably is our best option at the moment.
    Quote of the week:
    "Farewell - Let the Good Times Roll"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    F.C. INTERNAZIONALE, DEPECHE MODE, UNIA TARNOW - Nothing more...

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Yes, in CL fast play is especially important and with our material + rombo, it's not gonna happen. So in CL use 4-2-3-1, play tight and hit hard and fast with counters.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
    I had a feeling we would go back to the Rombo. Seems natural to me, Eto'o and Pandev will play where they're more suited (more so Pandev who had some killer games partnering Milito.) Sneijder will have 2 box strikers to pick out from, as opposed to just Milito. Sneijder won't have to drop back as far hopefully. And if we can field Motta and Mariga on the sides, they will hopefully contribute enough attackingly between them. Also given the shortage of forwards (in particular wingers) the rombo makes more sense
    agreed... Plus that way we will have 1 striker that can enter from the bench, whoever it is, and we would have adequat cover... Plus as you said, pandev and etoo will be playing in their natural positions...
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Schneckerl

Austria

7 Forum Supporter
    For us it's difficult to play with 3 strikers atm. Milito is not at 100%, and Pandev didn't play great the last games.
    And we have "Just" Biabiany and Coutinho as substitutes. So we probably have to change our system. I think when Motta comes back, we can play the 4-2-1-1-2 with Motta and Cambiasso in the DM, then Margia behind of Sneijder (who has all his freedom he needs) and in front 2 strikers. So we could choose Eto'o, Milito or Pandev for 2 Positions, in Back up we have Biabiany.
    Nuova stagione, nuova squadra, nuove speranze...

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Apparently rafa needs santon and motta fit for his romba 4-4-2.

http://www.fcinter1908.it/?action=read&idnotizia=10762
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

So hopefuly we get to see that form in the 2nd part of the season

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Unfortunately it means Zanetti to the midfield instead of Mariga. Which is basically totally fucked up idea.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Denmark

I know it's sort of taboo on this forum - but what about "Mad man" Muntari? Him next to Mariga with Cambiasso as DM wouldn't be all bad.

Maicon - Samuel - Lucio - Zanetti
    --------------Cambiasso-------------
    Mariga----------------------Muntari
    --------------Sneijder---------------
    --------Eto'o---------Milito---------

Mou used to play Muntari as a DM, but is his prefered position not LM?
    PLUR

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    thats muntaris best position, LCM... he wouldnt have to make long passes, just short ones, either to the LB or Sneijder upfront... And he would run towards the left, and we know he has the stamina to...

i also dont think it would be disastrous.. If Rafa wants 4-4-2 rombo, he can try with Mariga and Muntari as the RCM/LCM, Cambi as the DM and sneijder as the AM... Eto'o and Milito/Pandev in the attack...

just please no Zanetti as the RCM/LCM in the rombo...
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Schneckerl

Austria

7 Forum Supporter
    Zanetti as RM would work. If Maicon starts his attacks, Zanetti can go into defence to hold the security.
    Nuova stagione, nuova squadra, nuove speranze...

Fav. Player
    #4, Recoba, Eto

England

there's just no reason to play muntari unless Motta, Zanetti, Mariga, Santon or Chivu are all injured

santon & chivu gives 2 options for LB (3 with zanetti included), and that leaves Motta, Zanetti, Mariga etc, who i'd rather see in the left of the 3 man midfield than Muntari (although i think Muntari is "Ok")

I'd still rather have Zanetti as a LB... but we need to let Santon grow sometime

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

I wouldn't play muntari unless every midfielder is injured and that includes obiora...
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti
    Old name
    Natasha

Macedonia

Ok, now i think switching to 4-3-1-2 would be a good idea with the right players. We need Santon and Motta/Mariga for that, and not Stanko. Eto'o wants to play close up to the goal, i don't blame him, so this formation would give him that. Besides we would have Pandev on the bench who will get back his natural position too and we get more forwards disposable. Sneider's backup would be Coutinho on the bench. That way everyone is happy.
    I met Zanetti you suckers!

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter
    I don't see what Santon has to do with it all. Why does it depend on him? Chivu & Zanetti can play LB. Mariga, Deki, Zanetti, Muntari & Motta when fit can take up the two CM roles.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

For the diamond formation rafa wants a attacking lb. Santon is better going forward from lb then either chivu or zanetti.
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter
    Makes sense, but if a major formation change is dependant on a 19yr old, injury prone kid. Something is clrealy missing.