Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple MacBook

Fav. Player
    R. Quaresma

Turkey

Apple MacBook

Are there any MacNerds around?

As some of you might know, i'm studying Software Engineering, but until now the lectures i took were not about programming, mostly the basics and things like Math etc..

I've a laptop but it's big and hard to bring it with me. But the thing concerns me most is it's kinda old (processor etc) so now i've decided to buy a new one..

After some searching around, i think i will go for a MacBook Pro, even though i've never used a Mac until now, i don't think it will be hard to get used to it.. However, i can't decide about which one to buy..

Here is the list:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NjU5MzU

Now, the problem is i'm not really sure about which one i actually need.. Assuming i will use it for around 3 years, would Core 2 Duo do the job or shall i get an i5? And how much does the GHz difference matter?

- I'll only use it for my study, so the HDD and other things which would improve gaming etc. doesn't matter.
    - I have a budget around 1800 max to spend on a MacBook, but would like to spend less of course if you think a cheap one is enough for me.

Would like to hear your thoughts, especially if you have a programming experience..

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Anything Apple is expensive, pretty stuff that is easy to use.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    MacBook sucks balls.

90% of the cost goes into marketing that shit.

My gf uses a Mac and all these so called advantages (No virus, etc)...Bahey! Just get a proper Windows laptop that you're gonna be more familiar with, and costs you half the price.

Fav. Player
    R. Quaresma

Turkey

Appreciate the suggestions but i've made up my mind already about buying a Mac with all Pros and Cons..

Just need a suggestion about "which one to buy" from a programmer guys perspective, or just anyone, since most of people would have more info than me..

Switzerland

Not withstanding how wonderfully Han weighs in on many topics, tech stuff is clearly out of his realm of expertise (Particularly when you consider how often he's in here asking for computer assistance )

Macbook Pro is a great choice...I developed a little geeky sort of hobby with computers over the years, even built my own PC from the ground up...As much as I had enjoyed PCs, Macs are head & shoulders a better machine (And no, not an iphone or apple fanboy really...don't even own an ipod)

Size doesn't matter when it comes to them either...Feel them at the store, get an idea of the weight of the 13", 15" & 17" feel in addition to the need for the screen size...Personally, I have two MBPs - a 13" and a 15"...I love the 13" - smaller, lighter and nothing it can't do that the 15" does

You can customize the MBP fairly easily and while at the moment you can't get the i5 processor on the 13", word is that option will be available in the next month or so...So, if you're getting close to buying one perhaps waiting a bit more might work (If you're married to the idea of the beefier processor)...Otherwise, really, it's useful only if you intend to be a gamer or run multiple programs

Get an iskin for the keyboard (You can find them on ebay for around $20-25 USD), maybe a hardcase shell from incase if you're worried about scratches etc.

It is a beast of a machine and you'll not only never go back to PCs but you'll be wondering why you didn't make the switch sooner

Also, my brother is a PhD C.S. geek...He only uses Macs now (Another convert from PCs, actually)

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Thank yo stun, you burned Han, made my day. I would buy the cheapest macbook with the biggest screen. Simple.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    I pee on Macs, such an overrated brand. $1500 for a machine that can't even run 3 year old games.. WASTE OF MONEY
    Best match thread opener ever.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post
    Not withstanding how wonderfully Han weighs in on many topics, tech stuff is clearly out of his realm of expertise (Particularly when you consider how often he's in here asking for computer assistance )

Macbook Pro is a great choice...I developed a little geeky sort of hobby with computers over the years, even built my own PC from the ground up...As much as I had enjoyed PCs, Macs are head & shoulders a better machine (And no, not an iphone or apple fanboy really...don't even own an ipod)

Size doesn't matter when it comes to them either...Feel them at the store, get an idea of the weight of the 13", 15" & 17" feel in addition to the need for the screen size...Personally, I have two MBPs - a 13" and a 15"...I love the 13" - smaller, lighter and nothing it can't do that the 15" does

You can customize the MBP fairly easily and while at the moment you can't get the i5 processor on the 13", word is that option will be available in the next month or so...So, if you're getting close to buying one perhaps waiting a bit more might work (If you're married to the idea of the beefier processor)...Otherwise, really, it's useful only if you intend to be a gamer or run multiple programs

Get an iskin for the keyboard (You can find them on ebay for around $20-25 USD), maybe a hardcase shell from incase if you're worried about scratches etc.

It is a beast of a machine and you'll not only never go back to PCs but you'll be wondering why you didn't make the switch sooner

Also, my brother is a PhD C.S. geek...He only uses Macs now (Another convert from PCs, actually)

Please tell me the "head and shoulders" differences there are between PC's and Mac's? I only have a BS in Computer Science so I would love for your PhD brother to instruct me.

The fact that PC's are "head and shoulders" above Mac's in terms of pricing is huge difference if you ask me. I was 100% PC and then switched to a Macbook 4 years ago and for 3 years preached that everyone should own a Macbook. Now after buying my new Toshiba that weighs less than the Macbook, is twice as fast and cost 50% less, I can say that both have their advantages, but neither is "head and shoulders" above the other.

If you consider computers your geeky hobby, you should know better than to make bold statements like that...

Fav. Player
    Mancini

Trinidad & Tobago

i own a macbookpro 17"

core 2 duo is quite fine and will be more than sufficient for the next 3 years...the difference is not that huge (like celeron -> i5) and it really depends on what you'll be doing....for software programming, core 2 duo is definitely sufficient...

you can boot up other OS's or use virtual emulation if you need to run other OS's....i run linux, win7 and snow leopard on my machine through virtualization, and it literally operates at normal speed....i use SPACES and run them simultaneously on 3 screens at home when needed...

my only suggestion is to buy refurb and buy it right after apple introduces a newer mbp line.....that'll drop your cost waaaaaay down..
    i got a mbp 17", core 2 duo @ 2.5ghz, 4gb RAM (512 vram) and 500GB hard drive for $1350....last christmas (2009)...the retail on that 1 year earlier was $3000...
    it was the 2008 christams version and was upgraded to the "newer" versions that had longer battery/unibody.....

and i don't compare macs and pcs cause it's irrelevant....
    get something that works for you
    i use both all the time

i like my mac cause it does my music and video shit much easier so i stuck with it...
    i do pretty heavy video editing and i am just more verse with the software on a mac....

Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by nerazzurri4life View Post
    my only suggestion is to buy refurb and buy it right after apple introduces a newer mbp line.....that'll drop your cost waaaaaay down..
    Very good tip, actually...Buying used laptops can seem to be a very shortsighted thing to do on first glance but with MBPs, it's a different story

Fav. Player
    Mancini

Trinidad & Tobago

Very good tip, actually...Buying used laptops can seem to be a very shortsighted thing to do on first glance but with MBPs, it's a different story
    well...we need to define what "used" is

to me, "used" means 3rd party (like your friend or someone on ebay) selling you a laptop....personally, i wouldn't do that since you have zero warranty

"refurbished" or more technically, "manufacturer refurbished" means somebody used the laptop and then returned it to the manufacturer (Apple). Then, to ensure they don't LOSE money on the product, Apple will fix, clean up, re-certify, and re-sell the laptop WITH warranty at a reduced cost

not to mention, if you have an American Express card, you have up to a year 'warranty' on your purchases

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Don't get MacBook, it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. If you need to write in OpenGL, the performance is only barely acceptable. However, once you start needing shaders, your MacBook won't be able to run the program at all.

But a MacBook pro is not really worth it for it's cost, as you can only get to 512mb max for the graphics card memory. But I'm not sure what kind of courses you get to do in your university. For most things though, it would do the job. I use a MacBook pro 15inch, core i7 and 512 mb gfx card, and it works mostly fine in all the cases.

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Macbooks are the best laptops out there regardless of what anyone says, i have used them and their prices are ok in relation with their specs and battery life, the only thing that is a bit of a con is that it doesnt have a good graphic card for games, other than that they are amazing.

which one are you looking to get 13 or 15 inch model?

It does have a dedicated graphic card, the NVIDIA GT 330 M, laptops that are the same size dont really have better options when it comes to graphic cards.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled View Post
    Macbooks are the best laptops out there regardless of what anyone says, i have used them and their prices are ok in relation with their specs and battery life, the only thing that is a bit of a con is that it doesnt have a good graphic card for games, other than that they are amazing.

which one are you looking to get 13 or 15 inch model?

It does have a dedicated graphic card, the NVIDIA GT 330 M, laptops that are the same size dont really have better options when it comes to graphic cards.

???

Macbook 13"
    2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3
    500 GB 5400 rpm
    NVIDIA GT 330 M
    4.5 lbs
    $1,599

Toshiba R700 Portege
    2.26 GHz Core i3
    4GB DDR3
    500 GB 5400 rpm
    No dedicated graphics
    3.2 lbs
    $999

This is just one comparison, as I recently purchased a 13" but this price discrepancy can be seen throughout the Macbook line...what exactly warrants a $600 difference in price here?? I would even consider paying $200 more for the Macbook, but $600...give me a break!

Switzerland

My experience has been that most PC laptops really don't give much longevity beyond 3 years...By then, they are crashing and having a whole host of issues

So while there is very clearly a price difference in the two lines of laptops, one insures stability, reliability & performance (Mac) & the other is cheaper along with being very unreliable & poorly performing (PC)...This is to say nothing about how seamlessly everything within a Mac actually works

$600 is a lot, no doubt...If you can scrape the cash together, I find the difference is worth it but that's really dependent on your cash flow & tolerance towards unreliable & often crashing technology

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Battery life (10 hours for Macbook)

Dedicated graphics card, its a 320 M, not 330 (also it has a discrete graphic card and you can switch between them for better baterry life)

Does the Toshiba come with Windows? Warrenty?

to be honest graphics card and Battery life are enough for me.

Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by nerazzurri4life View Post
    well...we need to define what "used" is
    Very true...I live in the Bay Area (Home of the Macs) and used MBPs are pretty commonplace...Everyone (Like the iphone crowd) wants to continually upgrade to the newest MBP each time there is a change in the lineup

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    My experience has been that most PC laptops really don't give much longevity beyond 3 years...By then, they are crashing and having a whole host of issues

So while there is very clearly a price difference in the two lines of laptops, one insures stability, reliability & performance (Mac) & the other is cheaper along with being very unreliable & poorly performing (PC)...This is to say nothing about how seamlessly everything within a Mac actually works

$600 is a lot, no doubt...If you can scrape the cash together, I find the difference is worth it but that's really dependent on your cash flow & tolerance towards unreliable & often crashing technology
    Check out SquareTrade's survey on notebook reliability:

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/lap...liability-1109

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaled View Post
    Battery life (10 hours for Macbook)

Dedicated graphics card, its a 320 M, not 330 (also it has a discrete graphic card and you can switch between them for better baterry life)

Does the Toshiba come with Windows? Warrenty?

to be honest graphics card and Battery life are enough for me.

Battery life is over 8 hours for my Toshiba...never need it more than that, plus the graphics card on the Mac is garbage, not much better than the Intel integrated I have.

Toshiba came with Windows 7 Professional and a 3 year warranty...Plus I bought it when Bing Cashback was around, so I got it for under $900.

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

How do you know its garbage? have you tested it? did you try programs that actually use both graphic cards and compared them?

Also the adapter is very small, thats another pro when you are travelling, alot of people as well like the OS.

As far as laptops are concerned, i would get a Macbook if it had a better graphics card but i will tell you this, Toshiba is a great company and they make great laptops as well but that doesnt mean the Apple ones arent worth the money, everyone sees the value they get out of products differently. Also i will tell you this, Macs and Mac pros are overpriced trash, for the prices they put on these things they should be ashamed they even sell them with the specs and hardware they put in them, not everything Apple shits is gold, look at what they did to the iPod Nano lol.