Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: French Ligue 1 2010/2011

Fav. Player
    Eto'o, Zanetti,

France

French Ligue 1 2010/2011

I knew our championship sucks a lot but not even a thread, that's kind of hard

So I think it's interesting to talk about "us", because generally there's a lot of (super)star whom came out of France despite the lack of level (due to money control) of our championship : Essien, Drogba, Ronaldinho, Ribery, Djorkaeff, Zidane, Thuram, Deschamps, Henry, Trezeguet etc... Even Mourinho said the perfect player for him is an african player formed in France.

The biggest particularity of the Ligue 1, is that, everybody can beat everybody...

For making this thread interesting I'll make y'all a little exposition of the actual situation and player to follow :

The first place was taken by Rennes, which is a little bit the Tottenham of France, the team always high expectations but always 5-8th. They play serious football with many young players, those to follow are : Yann M'Vila (20 years old) and Brahimi (19 years old). The first is a regular french NT player since Blanc is the coach of the team. I think he's right now a little bit overrated, but he's a good player. He started in 4 of the 5 international games since Blanc is here. Brahimi is a very skilled player, it's only his first year as a solid regular first team player but everybody thinks he gonna make French team one day. The 2 players are from the youth teams of the club. Rennes is known as a very good formation club.

At the 2nd place of the standing : Saint Etienne. In France, everybody (actually old peoples) are going crazy with the comeback of Les Verts at the top of the standing. I mean, Saint Etienne is one of the real two legendary club in France with Marseille. They also play solid football, and they're lead by a crazy good ass trio of three young forward : Bakary Sako (22), Dimitri Payet (23), Emmanuel Riviere (20). Payet is the lethal guy, the one who finish actions but the two other are really good in making assists and set up plays. They also have a young french NT holding midfielder : Blaise Matuidi who was long time associated with a move to Arsenal.

Then at the 7th and 8th place we found : PSG and Marseille. For the first, 3rd to 7th place is the topic. They have a lethal player the brazilian Nene, who is definitely in the top 5 player of the Ligue 1. One of the best free kick taker in Europe. Forward there is two international players : Hoarau (France, 26) and Mevlut Erding (Turkey, 23), on the potential it's maybe the best duet of striker in the country but they together know a huge period of crisis without scoring... The captain of the team is Claude Makélélé who gonna be 67 hmmm.... I mean 38 next year... Watch out, the CB, the very young Mamadou Sakho (20), in the starting 11 since his 18. In all the France players selections since august despite he didn't play a minute until now. I think this guy can be the next Thuram. It wasn't easy for him, because he was very young but he had very bad CB next to him, and with his youngins' mistakes he made he had to correct mistakes of other CB. The club have also big problems with their fans, because of incidents between them (and death), if it's interest you I can talk about... There is a war between two "curva" Auteuil (young fellas from the suburbs, of african descents) and Boulogne (some fascits, extreme right...)...

L'Olympique de Marseille. The most popular team in France. Definitely, they will be in the top 2. With a difficult mercato and difficult relationship between the manager (José Anigo) and the coach (Didier Deschamps), the debut of league was rude. There's many good player in this team but the maestro is definitely Lucho Gonzales. A focus on two players : Ayew's brother, sons of legendary Abedi "Pelé" Ayew. André was the one, everybody saw in the WC, a good player and his little brother Jordan, is a huge huge potential, can be a great striker in the year to coming.

Oww... I forgot Lille which is 3rd in the standing. They play the best football in the league they're nicknamed "Barça Of The North". Many good players in midfield and forward area but two CRACKS, definitely you'll see them in a club next year or in two years : Eden Hazard and Gervinho. The first is making the Europe crazy but, right now, he's struggling big time, the two last season he was crazy but right now he's playing like shit, but with time he'll come back. Gervinho is not as young as him, but as talented in my opinion, plus, he's more a scorer.

And to conclude, in the bottom of the league : Bordeaux and Lyon. For the first team, having a europe place would be great. They have lost Chamakh and Gourcuff, and they're substitute aren't the same quality. Their captain is the current french national captain : Alou Diarra a real leader and an example player. Lyon is in crisis. Their coach, Claude Puel, is wanted mainly dead and little alive. But I think they will upgrades their standing...

So if there's any question...

BTW, I'll try to keep this thread alive even if i'm the only one who posts
    "Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know. "

Nice stuff man.

Honestly, I don't watch French league regularly, but of course it's among the best league of Europe.
    Massimo Moratti: "Javier Zanetti ha sempre onorato la maglia e ci ha sempre fatto sentire fieri di essere interisti"

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Wales

I wouldn't say the French league sucks, I don't watch much of it but its amongst the top 5-7 in Europe, Holland and Portugal are the only ones that are also in that mix and shit like the Belgian, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Greek leagues etc are way behind.

Oh, I have a question, why when PSG have a huge fan base and are from the biggest city are they always so crap?
    NON MOLLARE MAI!

Questa è una Zona Anti-Gobbizzata!

Fav. Player
    Eto'o, Zanetti,

France

Man, it's the history of PSG. During times, PSG was owned by Canal+ (media group) and during 90's was arguably one of the top 10 best club in Europe.

But in 1998, all the legendary players (whom were old) and their great president Denisot got away.

To sum up, since 98, it's an amazing combo of bad transfert, bad coachs, bad presidents... One year to another it was running for the title to running for not going to the Ligue 2.

Everybody was joking of Inter in Italy, but it's nothing compare to the PSG. Now the club is an assumed middle/high-level part standing, but not a contender at all. Some US takeover the club and give no money. And in France, with money control and politics who want to have their part in everything, it's nearly impossible to have a russian or asian godfather.

Like Arsène Wenger says, the club have an amazing potential due to the city (no rivals in town) but they're always shitting... It's kinda sad.
    "Well, what I'm saying is that there are known knowns and that there are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns; things we don't know that we don't know. "

Algeria

ryad boudebouz
    do you know him
    number 10 of sochaux

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Man, it's the history of PSG. During times, PSG was owned by Canal+ (media group) and during 90's was arguably one of the top 10 best club in Europe.

But in 1998, all the legendary players (whom were old) and their great president Denisot got away.

To sum up, since 98, it's an amazing combo of bad transfert, bad coachs, bad presidents... One year to another it was running for the title to running for not going to the Ligue 2.

Everybody was joking of Inter in Italy, but it's nothing compare to the PSG. Now the club is an assumed middle/high-level part standing, but not a contender at all. Some US takeover the club and give no money. And in France, with money control and politics who want to have their part in everything, it's nearly impossible to have a russian or asian godfather.

Like Arsène Wenger says, the club have an amazing potential due to the city (no rivals in town) but they're always shitting... It's kinda sad.
    Thanks for the explanation. I've been to the Parc des Princes a few times though never for football (always for rugby). I've heard the stories of their rivalry with Marseilles which is apparently hot, what's your (French) team btw?

(Incidentally I had always thought SF had had a huge bearing on the PSG story with dragging fans away from them, but even they're struggling now it seems. Maybe Paris is just too art-focused for great sports teams!!!)
    NON MOLLARE MAI!

Fav. Player
    Eto'o, Zanetti,

France

Quote Originally Posted by amine View Post
    ryad boudebouz
    do you know him
    number 10 of sochaux
    For sure. Sochaux make a great debut this year, a lot of young attacking players (Boudebouz, Martin, Maiga, Brown).

There was a game (against Nice), in terms of goal and technical achievement only teams like Barcelona or Arsenal (in good days) could achieve that. Boudebouz of course, you might know this, score a wonderful goal in this game. They really play good football but like any young teams, many blackout games.

Summary of the game (Sochaux in yellow), anyone, y'all definitely enjoy this one :

Thanks for the explanation. I've been to the Parc des Princes a few times though never for football (always for rugby). I've heard the stories of their rivalry with Marseilles which is apparently hot, what's your (French) team btw?
    For french NT of rugby or Stade Français ?

Right now, I don't have any french team. But when I was very young I was a die hard fan of PSG, but with time you know... Of course, i'm still a follower of them but without passion.

In the beggining of the 90's, Canal+ and Bernard Tapie (president of Marseille at the time), create the rivalry between PSG and Marseille, it's not something who dates from the 20's or something like that if you know what I mean...

But there was many legendary games (violent ones, Ronaldinho achevied legendary performances in home and away against OM, legendary goals etc...), and now it's the game of the year in Ligue 1 (with Marseille vs Lyon last years). But it's still the ones, with epic press release by presidents, always problems (this year OM presidents talk about a boycott of the game).

(Incidentally I had always thought SF had had a huge bearing on the PSG story with dragging fans away from them, but even they're struggling now it seems. Maybe Paris is just too art-focused for great sports teams!!!)
    Yes, it's kind of. Lyon have one of the best sport president, Marseille is A TOWN OF FOOTBALL, they live and die with their teams.

The whole France isn't a sport country, it's simple as that.

But Paris, precisely, is a bobo town, I don't know if the term is used in english. It means bobo for bourgeois boheme, people who are art-focused, fake philosophical way of life, brain masturbation you know what i mean.

So the ultra movement, is the devil for them. And actually Paris administration, try to kill that. And, you can say everything you want about ultras (violence etc...) it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE part of history of PSG.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Wales

For french NT of rugby or Stade Français ?

Right now, I don't have any french team. But when I was very young I was a die hard fan of PSG, but with time you know... Of course, i'm still a follower of them but without passion.

In the beggining of the 90's, Canal+ and Bernard Tapie (president of Marseille at the time), create the rivalry between PSG and Marseille, it's not something who dates from the 20's or something like that if you know what I mean...

But there was many legendary games (violent ones, Ronaldinho achevied legendary performances in home and away against OM, legendary goals etc...), and now it's the game of the year in Ligue 1 (with Marseille vs Lyon last years). But it's still the ones, with epic press release by presidents, always problems (this year OM presidents talk about a boycott of the game).

Yes, it's kind of. Lyon have one of the best sport president, Marseille is A TOWN OF FOOTBALL, they live and die with their teams.

The whole France isn't a sport country, it's simple as that.

But Paris, precisely, is a bobo town, I don't know if the term is used in english. It means bobo for bourgeois boheme, people who are art-focused, fake philosophical way of life, brain masturbation you know what i mean.

So the ultra movement, is the devil for them. And actually Paris administration, try to kill that. And, you can say everything you want about ultras (violence etc...) it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE part of history of PSG.
    For Wales v France rugby. I knew PSG - OM isnt a historic rivalry, PSG were only founded in 1970 or 1971. Also was aware France isnt a sports country as such though rugby is huge in the south west, football in Marseilles and Nantes and cycling and petanque pretty much everywhere though petanque more so in the south. You won't get me talking badly of Ultra' groups too easily, though I'm aware of the violence attached to the PSG ones. On the PSG - OM rivalry though, I had a friend in university from near Paris, a PSG fan, who only referred to OM as sal sudiste (spelling?), something like that that means sick southerners.
    NON MOLLARE MAI!

Fav. Player
    Eto'o, Zanetti,

France

Man, I think you know everything about sports in France

Nantes is more kind of Barça supporters (without the big cultural history, catalan proud etc...), you know they only enjoys their team when it playing awesome football (which isn't the case sinces something like 10 years ).

Cycling and petanque, and are the sports practise mainly in regional area, so that's normal you don't see any black or arab in cycling. Petanque is playing everywhere by old people but it's definitely a Marseille thing. So it's popular but not something who make people move like football, rugby or even a little bit basketball.

The good spelling is "Sale sudiste" it means "dirty southern". If you want to taunt him you can callin out him as "PSG pour Pédales Sur Gazon" which means literaly "PSG stands for Pussy on field". It's good old one who was used so often that it's not really used nowadays but it's still have his effect

In which university is your friend ?

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Wales

Man, I think you know everything about sports in France

Nantes is more kind of Barça supporters (without the big cultural history, catalan proud etc...), you know they only enjoys their team when it playing awesome football (which isn't the case sinces something like 10 years ).

Cycling and petanque, and are the sports practise mainly in regional area, so that's normal you don't see any black or arab in cycling. Petanque is playing everywhere by old people but it's definitely a Marseille thing. So it's popular but not something who make people move like football, rugby or even a little bit basketball.

The good spelling is "Sale sudiste" it means "dirty southern". If you want to taunt him you can callin out him as "PSG pour Pédales Sur Gazon" which means literaly "PSG stands for Pussy on field". It's good old one who was used so often that it's not really used nowadays but it's still have his effect

In which university is your friend ?
    I lost contact with him, we were in Cardiff nearly ten years ago, but he was mad into PSG. I know a little of French sports because I used to holiday there a lot as a child. Also my father is a big fan of French culture so I know a little from him.
    NON MOLLARE MAI!

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

HAHAHAHA Lets revive this thread for crying out loud! The league cuks but I think it is, overall, better than LA LIGA! Watching Valenciennes-Lyon right now. That Gomis is a big lol!

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    I might have to agree with you. La Liga is so boring that no team is in it outside of the obvious 2. I support Lyon out of Ligue 1 teams. FORZA LYON! Sucks that they're down 0-2 though.

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    I might have to agree with you. La Liga is so boring that no team is in it outside of the obvious 2. I support Lyon out of Ligue 1 teams. FORZA LYON! Sucks that they're down 0-2 though.
    They pulled 1 back, after briefly flirting with humiliation (Valenciennes hit the bar while already at 2-0). They are being man handled by valenciennes! If you are an avid Lyon fan, could u tell me again why they soold Makoun? Their midfield seems worse than ever lol!

Ends 2-1 for Valenciennes. Interesting 1st half, but gradually drifted to traditional French league in the 2nd hald
    Last edited by AxigZag.ESIOLAG.; 29 Jan 11 at 19:51.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by galoise View Post
    They pulled 1 back, after briefly flirting with humiliation (Valenciennes hit the bar while already at 2-0). They are being man handled by valenciennes! If you are an avid Lyon fan, could u tell me again why they soold Makoun? Their midfield seems worse than ever lol!

Ends 2-1 for Valenciennes. Interesting 1st half, but gradually drifted to traditional French league in the 2nd hald
    Hell, I'm embarrassed, even though I'm not an avid Lyon fan. It's just a team I'd prefer out of Ligue 1 clubs. Just have to hope they make the CL in qualification. I don't see them winning Ligue 1 after that selling of Makoun. Rather stupid of them to sell for so cheap, I think they could have asked for more. Aston Villa got a steal and Lyon just committed suicide with that. Pathetic Midfield indeed.

I'm worried they sell Pjanic too... that Chelsea talk was getting way too long for comfort.
    Last edited by Coasterfreek; 29 Jan 11 at 20:16.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Am I the only one who pays a casual attention to Ligue 1? I think it's worth talking about this more than La Liga.. which deserves no talk until El Clasico and the Copa Del Rey final.

Lyon's draw against Bordeaux had to have been painful. They miss Makoun alot and failed to capitalize on Lille's draw today.

Fav. Player
    Yuto,Don Andres

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Coasterfreek View Post
    Am I the only one who pays a casual attention to Ligue 1? I think it's worth talking about this more than La Liga.. which deserves no talk until El Clasico and the Copa Del Rey final.

Lyon's draw against Bordeaux had to have been painful. They miss Makoun alot and failed to capitalize on Lille's draw today.
    Oh shot! I was gonna watch that game & forgot (or more like got carried away with our awesome victory) Anyways, I guess Lyon are back to their old ways...

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by galoise View Post
    Oh shot! I was gonna watch that game & forgot (or more like got carried away with our awesome victory) Anyways, I guess Lyon are back to their old ways...
    I quickly tuned in and saw the end. It did seem pretty dull.

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    PSG picked up a draw, while Marseille and Lyon got wins. I hope Lille can lose and make it interesting.

Any thoughts?

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    Lyon got the win yesterday. Will Rennes, Lille and PSG have any struggles as they all play away tomorrow? I'm also hating the Hugo Lloris rumors of him going to Manchester United.

Fav. Player
    J.Z, Matrix, De

Romania

don't really like Ligue 1 .... rarely watch it
    ONLY & 4EVER FORZA INTER !!!

Meglio Vivere un Giorno da Leone che Cento Anni da Pecora