Thread: Great news for USA Soccer fans

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Great news for USA Soccer fans

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Europe's big guns set to tour USA

NEW YORK, March 18 (Reuters) - Manchester United will be joined on their pre-season tour of the United States by six other European clubs, organisers said on Thursday.

Premiership rivals Chelsea and Liverpool, Scottish club Celtic, Italian Serie A sides AC Milan and AS Roma and German giants Bayern Munich make up the Champions World series.

United, who four months ago committed to return to the U.S. following a successful tour last July and August, will play three matches in north America this July.

They meet Bayern in Chicago on July 25, Celtic in Philadelphia on July 28 and current European Cup holders Milan at Giants Stadium, New Jersey, on July 31.

Chelsea play three matches in total, against Celtic in Seattle, Roma in Pittsburgh and Milan in Philadelphia.

Liverpool will meet Celtic in East Hartford, Connecticut, while Roma also face Liverpool at Giants stadium and Celtic in Toronto, Canada.

Seven venues will be used in all, with capacities ranging from 40,000 at Rentschler Field, East Hartford to 80,242 at Giants stadium.

The matches will be broadcast live across the US and Manchester United chief executive David Gill said: 'The club takes the tournament seriously.

'It is the chance for the players to impress the manager. If you have some new players in the squad it is their first chance to come into the team.

'It is very important and the start we had to the season was our best ever and I think that is no surprise given the quality of the games that we played in America and the seriousness with which the players took the matches.'

Gill added: 'All the grounds we played at were magnificent stadia, the fans really got involved with it and knew their football.

'It struck me how big the sport is becoming and it is growing particularly well.'

Umberto Gandini, organising director of AC Milan reflected: 'The US audience is very attractive for us and it is a very important trip one in terms of playing Manchester United and Chelsea for our Champions League preparation.'

ChampionsWorld chief executive officer Charlie Stillitano added: 'We are excited to bring the ChampionsWorld Series here for a second year and to add new participants.'

Saturday, July 24
    Chelsea v Celtic
    Seahawks Stadium, Seattle

Sunday, July 25
    Manchester United v Bayern Munich
    Soldier Field, Chicago

Monday, July 26
    Liverpool v Celtic
    Rentschler Field, East Hartford

Wednesday, July 28
    Manchester United v Celtic
    Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

Thursday, July 29
    AS Roma v Chelsea
    Heinz Field, Pittsburgh

Saturday, July 31
    Manchester United v AC Milan
    Giants Stadium, East Rutherford

Saturday, July 31
    Celtic v AS Roma
    SkyDome, Toronto

Monday, August 2
    Chelsea v AC Milan
    Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

Tuesday, August 3
    AS Roma v Liverpool
    Giants Stadium, East Rutherford
    -------------

I guess i am lucky somehow if i get to go again this summer...why the hell cant Inter do this too.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Why can't they come to Canada more often instead of just one game? If inter were there i could've gone to toronto although it's 500km away. But if i have the chance and Totti and Cassano are there i might check it out.

I guess Rubentus (why do we call them that?) and Barca dropped out from the lineups, quite interesting, but replace with Chelsea and Roma, though should make for some good games...

Even if all the clubs are gloryhunters...

Fav. Player
    Oba

Barca dropped out coz they are now doing an Asia tour instead.

hmmm...
    I could imagine inter touring Asia before USA... I really don't think there are many Inter fans in USA.

Fav. Player
    Adriano and Ibr

I woud like that inter and Red Star Belgrade be in the same group in champions league and I coud go in Belgrad and watch the game.
    I HATE MOGGI

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by hasta_la_victoria_siempre
    hmmm...
    I could imagine inter touring Asia before USA... I really don't think there are many Inter fans in USA.
    I think we are touring japan this summer.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Yeah, I can just imagine... All the lucky Japanese people! Here, at the so-called "premier" game of the Champions World Series played in one of the best venues, the Meadowlands, Americans get to see Manchester United kick Galastasary's ass...

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    It's a shape they never come to Florida, we have one of the largest footie fanbase in the United States due to our large community of Hispanics and Carribeans but we don't even have a freaking MLS team to root for.
    Nulla impossibile per questa Inter