Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The real reason you get a card for shirt removal

Fav. Player
    fredy guarín

Antigua

The real reason you get a card for shirt removal

so, minutes ago i had an aha moment thanks to the genius knowledge of soccer pundit tim vickery (bbc wff podcast).

we all have wanted to know forever why refs catch feelings and punish players for taking off their jersey to celebrate after scoring a goal and (fifa?) have enforced this strict yellow card rule across the globe.

1.because exposing your chest is indecent exposure blah blah.....bullshit
    2.because removing your shirt causes a delay to put your shirt back on in a timely fashion/constitutes timewasting.....weak argument
    3.because exposing your chest may incite a riot with the opposition fans blah blah.....more bullshit
    plus, many players now (especially in winter months) wear under armours or some form of undershirt anyway and STILL get carded, so wtf?!

apparently, the moment you score a goal is the optimum time for a sponsor to utilise it's brand appeal (photo ops etc.)

"...[scoring a goal] is the moment when the manufacturer wants the camera on the shirts..."

and without that representation the sponsor could lose money.
    since 2008 at the euros, these sponsor franchises as a collective have demanded a clamp down on such types of celebration.....why didn't i think of that.

i still have no answer as to why neymar got a second yellow after his goal for santos recently, when he put on a mask of himself that someone threw to him from the stands..

..."illegal celebration"?!? gtfo

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

he put his mask upside down, thats why referee give him a yellow.

3. Thanks (1): dynasty27

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    It is clearly stated in the FIFA Laws of the Game. When you are a footballer you abide by those laws, so if you break them, you are punished.

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive timewasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
    • he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
    • he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
    • he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the field of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

In high school, I was shown a straight red card for putting my shirt over my head after a goal lol

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Vito,

Get off your high horse for a minute...we know rules are rules, but the dude has a darn good point which you totally skipped with your post, which actually the entire point of his post was to discredit it!

He even mentions timewasting...but then he talks about his own theory, that of sponsors losing their spotlight on TV.

That's a fucking great theory...money talks.

edit: BTW what did you expect to find in that rule book? A reasoning saying, 'no shirt must be taken off as it hides the sponsors logo...if they aren't happy Mr. Blatter won't receive his monthly mail order bride'.

Fav. Player
    Julione ♥

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    It is clearly stated in the FIFA Laws of the Game. When you are a footballer you abide by those laws, so if you break them, you are punished.

In high school, I was shown a straight red card for putting my shirt over my head after a goal lol
    Frantz still has a point. I mean, seriously, is taking off and putting back on a shirt wasting THAT much time? Unnecessary, absolutely - but it's not wasting time.

Dumbest red card ever? After blowing a kiss, and bowing to the fans behind me [my teams side, btw]. 3 weeks ago. Lucky me

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    Vito,

Get off your high horse for a minute...we know rules are rules, but the dude has a darn good point which you totally skipped with your post, which actually the entire point of his post was to discredit it!

He even mentions timewasting...but then he talks about his own theory, that of sponsors losing their spotlight on TV.

That's a fucking great theory...money talks.

edit: BTW what did you expect to find in that rule book? A reasoning saying, 'no shirt must be taken off as it hides the sponsors logo...if they aren't happy Mr. Blatter won't receive his monthly mail order bride'.

I forgot all the National teams have huge sponsors all over their jerseys...

Anyways the rule was added in 2004 because it is simply unsporting behavior and FIFA does not want to condone it.

Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

United States

18 F.C. Internazionale Milano 18

Fav. Player
    fredy guarín

Antigua

Quote Originally Posted by ana
    is taking off and putting back on a shirt wasting THAT much time?
    i know ana, especially when some people run the whole length/to the opposite end of the pitch to celebrate or spend forever in a pile-up and get no card (because they kept their shirt on)

Quote Originally Posted by vitomins
    I forgot all the National teams have huge sponsors all over their jerseys...
    dude, you think nike is trying to have pato snapped with his jersey OFF when he scores in the 2014 final? umbro when rooney wins it for england? even the national team training tops have sponsors.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins
    the rule was added in 2004
    but there was much more leniency til 2008

la bling, that's a new one! wow.....betcha that one's not in the rulebook
    Last edited by frantz.nerazzurri; 14 Apr 11 at 22:03.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    It's stupid, and retarded.

Completely retarded.

So for example, when Iniesta scored in extra time in a World Cup final, he's supposed to restrain his emotion and remember not to take his shirt off?

Might as well give players random pop quizzes of E = MC2 during matches.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by frantz.nerazzurri View Post
    dude, you think nike is trying to have pato snapped with his jersey OFF when he scores in the 2014 final? umbro when rooney wins it for england? even the national team training tops have sponsors.
    but there was much more leniency til 2008

Do you actually think huge corporations such as Nike and Umbro give two shits about 5 seconds worth of advertising??? Almost the whole 90 minutes players are zoomed in on and you can see the stupid logos clear as day.

This is a crazy theory, but you have some followers I guess, so good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    It's stupid, and retarded.

Completely retarded.

So for example, when Iniesta scored in extra time in a World Cup final, he's supposed to restrain his emotion and remember not to take his shirt off?

Might as well give players random pop quizzes of E = MC2 during matches.

Do you honestly think Iniesta gives a shit about a yellow card at that point??

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Do you actually think huge corporations such as Nike and Umbro give two shits about 5 seconds worth of advertising??? Almost the whole 90 minutes players are zoomed in on and you can see the stupid logos clear as day.

I actually very much agree with that. That 5 seconds are sometimes as worthy as the other 89 minutes and 55 seconds. I think most people who watch football are not real fans who would appreciate the effort, tactics and stuff but rather would watch just for the sake of catching some goals.

Do you honestly think Iniesta gives a shit about a yellow card at that point??
    My point exactly! It's not done with malicious intent, so it's unfair to set a rule to punish something so harmless. It's like the stupid law in DC that prohibits sex position other than the missionary.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    I actually very much agree with that. That 5 seconds are sometimes as worthy as the other 89 minutes and 55 seconds. I think most people who watch football are not real fans who would appreciate the effort, tactics and stuff but rather would watch just for the sake of catching some goals.

My point exactly! It's not done with malicious intent, so it's unfair to set a rule to punish something so harmless. It's like the stupid law in DC that prohibits sex position other than the missionary.

Lol you guys are all nuts. It is unsporting behavior, it has been in the rules for 7 years now, every player knows that if he takes off his shirt, it is going to be a yellow card.

I honestly can't believe we have a FIFA - Sponsor conspiracy thread lolol

Syria

10 years of FIF

Vito, we all know it's a rule....that isn't the argument (please don't make me tell you again)

But I have another conspiracy theory..................ready?

With the emergence of youtube (very similar time-frame) Fifa realised goals will be put up on these sites and receive MILLIONS of views.

Everytime some English chav with no teeth clicks on Rooney's goal VS Everton, they will see the sponsors name. That's an amazing amount of exposure!

Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

United States

Conspiracy theory? inb4blackmore
    18 F.C. Internazionale Milano 18

Fav. Player
    SE SALTELLI....

Singapore

naaah...... inb4pazza

Ma Milanista Che cazzo canti, Nella tua testa I ricordi sono tanti,
    Ci ricordate, del sei a zero, Ma gia' scordate Serie B e Totonero,
    Percio' ricorda, nella tua testa, quando eri in B tutta la nord faceva festa,
    Tifoso pirla, ma chi minacci? Altro che curva, siete un gruppo di palliaci.

E Milan merda, Milan, Milan merda, E Milan merda, Milan, Milan merda.

BRING BACK LELE

Fav. Player
    Julione ♥

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by blackmore View Post
    naaah...... inb4pazza

Def. a little difficult to refrain from laughing, after reading that. Good times.

United States

62 Forum Supporter

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Canada

if anything have them stand out for like 5 minutes lol ...yellow card for one of the most fun celebrations is wack

Fav. Player
    Zanetti.

Singapore

You do realise that goals are in highlights of every game and there are people who don't like watching the whole game. So its not worth 5 seconds. Its worth everytime highlights are shown.
    The Better Milan...

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    LOL at all of you guys....this is no better than Pazza's 2012 thread

The shirt sponsors pay the teams to put their names on the jerseys, not FIFA, so why the fuck would FIFA care what the shirt sponsors have to say???