Thread: why?

why?

why can't Inter act as a european powerhouse for more than a season, like barca or MU for example?
    Is Inter's failure to hire a longterm worldclass manager the biggest and most important reason?
    Last edited by fcinternazionalemilano; 14 Apr 11 at 20:38.

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

Not really an article
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    you can all go fuck your mohters, just my 2 cents.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by fcinternazionalemilano View Post
    why can't fucking Inter act as a european powerhouse for more than a season, like barca or MU for example?
    Is Inter's failure to hire a longterm worldclass manager the biggest and most important reason?

Over the past 10 years, there are really only 3 teams that can be labled as 'powerhouses' in Europe. They are Barcelona, Manchester United and Chelsea. Of those 3 teams, 2 of them (Barcelona and Chelsea) have made it to the CL semifinals or further with 3 or more managers.

2001-02: Manchester United, Bayer Leverkusen, Barcelona, Real Madrid
    2002-03: Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan, Inter
    2003-04: Porto, Deportivo, Monaco, Chelsea
    2004-05: Milan, PSV, Chelsea, Liverpool
    2005-06: Arsenal, Villareal, Milan, Barcelona
    2006-07: Manchester United, Milan, Chelsea, Liverpool
    2007-08: Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea
    2008-09: Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal
    2009-10: Bayern Munich, Lyon, Inter, Barcelona
    2010-11: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Schalke, Manchester United

Barcelona: 6 - 3 managers
    Chelsea: 5 - 5 managers
    Manchester United: 5 - 1 manager
    Milan: 4 - 1 manager
    Liverpool: 3 - 1 manager
    Real Madrid: 3 - 2 managers
    Arsenal: 2 - 1 manager
    Inter: 2 - 2 managers
    Bayern Munich: 1
    Bayer Leverkusen: 1
    Deportivo: 1
    Juventus: 1
    Lyon: 1
    Monaco: 1
    Porto: 1
    PSV: 1
    Schalke: 1
    Villareal: 1

Longterm manager has nothing to do with it. As long as you have a solid manager, it could be his first year at the club, and good things can still happen. We shouldn't have expected a manager with 1 year of experience to bring us to the CL final. There can only be one Guardiola, look at the managers of the 3 best teams when they made it to the semis and also the managers of the teams still left in this year:

Carles Rexach: 19 years of exp.
    Frank Rijkaard: 8 years of exp.
    Josep Guardiola: 1 year of exp.
    Alex Ferguson: 27 years of exp.
    Claudio Ranieri: 17 years of exp.
    Jose Mourinho: 4 years of exp.
    Avram Grant: 21 years of exp.
    Luiz Scolari: 26 years of exp.
    Guus Hiddink: 27 years of exp.

Jose Mourinho: 10 years of exp.
    Josep Guardiola: 2 years of exp.
    Ralf Rangnick: 28 years of exp.
    Alex Ferguson: 37 years of exp.

4. Thanks (5): Dylan, Mino, Nathy, Raul Duke, Sid

Fav. Player
    ETO'o

why can't Inter act as a european powerhouse for more than a season, like barca or MU for example?
    For me its ultimately down to money Barca and the Mancs both have a massive stable source of income and a stable ownership/stewardship, which isn't dependant on one persons impulses.
    Liverpool also had the same financial stability especially after 2005.
    It all went tits up when the 2 cowboys G&H started f*cking things up after Athens 2007,
    They started interfering with football matters and making decisions they wasn't qualified to make.
    Then they started doing what parasites do and started sucking the life blood out of that financial stability.
    Thats why we kicked the cancerous c*nts out of "our club".

Once financial stability is restored (which it now is ) the next step is having a stable management
    team with the view to a 3-5 year plan which will be sorted this summer.
    Then we will rebuild that power house Rafa started building in 2004.
    Then we'll go and get number 6 .
    The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
    Liverpool Football Club or any affiliates of the club.

W 1135 D 381 L 437

JFT96 YNWA

6. Thanks (1): Darren

Fav. Player
    Emma Watson

Tokelau

Inter's problem is not their inability to find a long-term world class manager as vito said it has nothing to do with long-term managers. The problem Inter had was to find the same calibre manager or even better to continue with the project. The last 2 managers Inter chose including the incumbent are certainly not the kind of that calibre to replace the special one.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

Blame mourinho for this. If he stay,im sure we still at the run for scudetto and still at the semis for CL.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Long term planning is good, but not a necessity in football. The Inter of last season proved that when Mou was only in his 2nd year in charge and we brought in a host of new players.

But looking at the last few CL winners, the players or coaches have been in the club for some time and developed some kind of culture in the club.

08/09 Barcelona - Long term
    07/08 Man Utd - Long term
    06/07 Milan - Long term
    05/06 Barcelona - I would say short term because Rijkaard, Ronaldinho, Deco, R.Marquez, Eto'o were only in their 2nd year in the club. But this is arguable because the Barca culture has been in place before those guys were in.
    04/05 Liverpool - Fluke
    03/04 Porto - Short term

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    Long term planning is good, but not a necessity in football. The Inter of last season proved that when Mou was only in his 2nd year in charge and we brought in a host of new players.

But looking at the last few CL winners, the players or coaches have been in the club for some time and developed some kind of culture in the club.

06/07 Milan - Long term
    05/06 Barcelona - I would say short term because Rijkaard, Ronaldinho, Deco, R.Marquez, Eto'o were only in their 2nd year in the club. But this is arguable because the Barca culture has been in place before those guys were in.
    04/05 Liverpool - Fluke
    03/04 Porto - Short term

Lol based on your analysis, it is a 50-50 split, which means you just proved yourself wrong

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    If you have good players and a coach that is good tactically and adjusts the play to make the most of the players, you can win the CL even if you are incharge for 6 months.

If Leo was smart tactically we would be on course for a treble even after fatman scoops' best attempts to get us to play in the Europa League.

Everything a man should be. We miss you Cipe.

Fav. Player
    Perisic

United States

86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
    If you have good players and a coach that is good tactically and adjusts the play to make the most of the players, you can win the CL even if you are incharge for 6 months.

If Leo was smart tactically we would be on course for a treble even after fatman scoops' best attempts to get us to play in the Europa League.

And if Fatman Scoop had better man management skills, we would also be on course for the treble even though the Pantene Pro-V model decided to lose 4 out of 5 matches

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    And if Fatman Scoop had better man management skills, we would also be on course for the treble even though the Pantene Pro-V model decided to lose 4 out of 5 matches
    What came first the chicken or the egg?

Anyways, for me Rafa is over-rated by some of you guys tactically, he messed up as much as Leo. But that is my personal opinion and I dont want 3 pages of discussing this here. Difference being that we expected Leo to be crap tactically.

I also similarly think Leo's man management is over-rated here, he is just an easier person to get alongwith and communicates better. He isnt a good man manager, he is a good guy, not an overly strict manager and that seems to work with our squad.

14. Thanks (2): nurko, Raul Duke

Fav. Player
    Icardi
    Old name
    Analrapist

Bosnia Herzegovina

Most Missed Member
    tl;dr
    Last edited by DIN011; 21 Apr 11 at 22:14.

Fav. Player
    ETO'o

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post

06/07 Milan - Long term
    04/05 Liverpool - Fluke
    03/04 Porto - Short term
    In just 5 years of Rafa, this is what he brought to me,5 golden stars...
    4 Quarter finals, 3 Semi finals, 2 Finals and 1 "fluke" of a win in Istanbul
    Last edited by YNWALFC; 22 Apr 11 at 02:30. Reason: Forgot to add the first line

W 1135 D 381 L 437

JFT96 YNWA

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
    What came first the chicken or the egg?

Anyways, for me Rafa is over-rated by some of you guys tactically, he messed up as much as Leo. But that is my personal opinion and I dont want 3 pages of discussing this here. Difference being that we expected Leo to be crap tactically.

I also similarly think Leo's man management is over-rated here, he is just an easier person to get alongwith and communicates better. He isnt a good man manager, he is a good guy, not an overly strict manager and that seems to work with our squad.
    people forget that rafa thought playing 4-3-1-2 would give him aids, and that he preferred playing stankovic on the wing rather than use a formation that has worked under numerous coaches with the same team

Fav. Player
    ETO'o

Edit:No insults thank you.
    Last edited by Stefan; 27 Apr 11 at 12:35.

W 1135 D 381 L 437

JFT96 YNWA

Fav. Player
    # 3

India

Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    people forget that rafa thought playing 4-3-1-2 would give him aids, and that he preferred playing stankovic on the wing rather than use a formation that has worked under numerous coaches with the same team
    Hmm.

Rafa tried his best but was out of complete order and coudnt do anything to make it work. Lets just agree that he made tooo many mistakes to be considered a Top Manager. Look at where Liverpool are in 5 years of his tenor. YAWN LFC.

Anyways, the whole point to me is balance, Rafa got the balance right but never could get the players to understand, Leo got them to understand but failed miserably with balance. IMO this summer will define how we will go for the next few years since investment by MM will reduce after this.

In my opinion, Morrati is the biggest reason why Inter aren't on the same level of barca and man u. He does not know how to manage footballing issues. He is a good business man and is one of the most passionate Inter fans but that is not enough. Moratti has to take a step back when it comes down to managing Inter. He would buy the best players in certain departments and bring along completely average players in others. Mou took charge of these issues when he was here but thru out earlier years there was a void in management of the club. Passion alone isn't good enough and recent his recent business oriented thinking is also making it worse. No club can keep hiring world class managers/coaches every 2 years coz there aren't many of those waiting in line to manage inter and even if there was, sometimes it doesn't work even under WC coaches as in the case of lippi.

Macedonia

I think from the start you missed the reasons why ONE team is considered a powerhouse. There are number of factors here. I don't agree that the only powerhouse right now are Man U, Barca and Chelsea.

To be a powerhouse or BIG Club the most bigest concerend are money. Everything start from there. Money and tradition and sucses.
    Powerhows must have :spending power(not nessesserily means the club must have big singings), management, youth, football school, tradition(to have name a BIG CLUB you have to have some trofey).Powerhouse is like big company its more than having a good players and good manager. Everything must work in higher lvl to be a powerhouse.

Inter can be said is powerhouse in Italy. But its little behind when its compered to Europe. One club its very dificult to be a powerhouse in shit leage like Barca and real. Still those club have history, and wealthy owners, and the company is run like any other company other than football. Inter is behind them, to be at that place Inter must have first of all OWN stadium. Its funny to even consider any club like big club when they share a stadium with other big club. Its only in Milano and nowere in the world.
    To be a powerhouse also you must have fans, who pay money to go to matches and that have to do also with economic situation and sociaty in the country.

If somthing isn't done in Italy i can only less powerhouses coming from Italy and coming from England even Germany. In ten years god knows what will happend. But England and Germany in my opinion have a biggest chances to create powerhouse clubs for the future. England for sure, Germany is going that way.

The most important thing for all big clups is having a way of playing, a football culture.

Everyone knows the Barcelona way of football, and they try to play that on all there teams even youth ones. When a new player is promoted from a youth team, they mostly have to worry about the increased speed of play, and not what to cover, how to defend/attach etc.
    It also makes it easier to buy new players, because you know exactly what you are looking for.

Man Udt have the same kind of culture in the club. Look at how Man Udt can switch in players sometimes, that would have a hard time to get on Interīs 2. team, but still they manage to perform ok, because they know exactly what to do.

Its the opposite with Real Madrid.
    They have no certain football philosophy. They buy big names and hope it works. They chance tactics every few years to fit who they bought recently, instead of buying players that fits the system.

Inter is sadly closer to real than to Man Udt/Barca in terms of how to run the club. I think Moratti have learned from hes past mistakes and is trying to adopt a mix of Arsenal and Man Udt philosophy, but it takes a long time to build something up.

Look at how good it went Chelsea when they tried to change the system around after buying Torres. They lost or draw until they changed back and played with 1 attacher again

Fav. Player
    ETO'o

Quote Originally Posted by Preda View Post
    The most important thing for all big clups is having a way of playing, a football culture.

Everyone knows the Barcelona way of football, and they try to play that on all there teams even youth ones. When a new player is promoted from a youth team, they mostly have to worry about the increased speed of play, and not what to cover, how to defend/attach etc.
    It also makes it easier to buy new players, because you know exactly what you are looking for.

Man Udt have the same kind of culture in the club. Look at how Man Udt can switch in players sometimes, that would have a hard time to get on Interīs 2. team, but still they manage to perform ok, because they know exactly what to do.

Its the opposite with Real Madrid.
    They have no certain football philosophy. They buy big names and hope it works. They chance tactics every few years to fit who they bought recently, instead of buying players that fits the system.

Inter is sadly closer to real than to Man Udt/Barca in terms of how to run the club. I think Moratti have learned from hes past mistakes and is trying to adopt a mix of Arsenal and Man Udt philosophy, but it takes a long time to build something up.

Look at how good it went Chelsea when they tried to change the system around after buying Torres. They lost or draw until they changed back and played with 1 attacher again
    Agree with the points about Barca and the Mancs but they have reached that "culture"or stability in totally different ways.
    One comes from having 28 years with the same manager and the other comes from within its self.
    One thing a football club should try to do, is grow its own players but whats often overlooked is the need to grow
    its own Managers as this can be a vital ingredient when building the foundations for your power house to sit on.
    Building on the back of 1 man is like building on sand and when that sand shifts, cracks start to appear.

In regards to Torres it might of helped if they'd of passed to him now and again

W 1135 D 381 L 437

JFT96 YNWA