Page 968 of 1074 FirstFirst ... 46886891895896596696796896997097197810181068 ... LastLast
Results 19,341 to 19,360 of 21470

Thread: Mercato Team (Ausilio, Marotta, & Co), Mercato Strategies, The Future & The Past

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Romania

Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Now that I've been thinking about this a bit, it looks almost certain to me that we will sell Skriniar or De Vrij. Most probably Skriniar because he's been a hot commodity in the transfer market. We are going to get Godin to be a starter and a "new Skriniar" to be the 3rd CB (Andersen, Romero, Mancini). Skriniar wants a new contract (4m€) and at this point, it doesn't seem to make much sense to get 3rd CB to the roster with 5m+€ annual salary. At least it sounds very strange to me given that we've just been able to get off the hook of SA (almost there!). We can't increase our salary budget yet drastically and making these kind of moves would do exactly that. We have Icardi contract to be extended too, we have Brozo contract increased lately to a bigger tier.

Though does it make sense to get Godin since we have Miranda, who wants to play and who could play after Skriniar is sold? Miranda is like 1,5 years older than Godin. Pajo has said Godin has regressed a bit.

Any comments regarding these thoughts?
    I wrote the same scenary in Godin thread.
    Skrniar sold with more 80m and bring one of Mancini/Andersen and Barella. In this case we still have a rock defense. With Godin we could help the kid accustom to new expectations and in the same time we upgrade our midfield. With Barella and Brozo who could work excellent as a double pivot, at least on paper, Spallo could use his fucking 4-2-3-1, if N9 would be fit.

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Greece

Most Improved Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Now that I've been thinking about this a bit, it looks almost certain to me that we will sell Skriniar or De Vrij. Most probably Skriniar because he's been a hot commodity in the transfer market. We are going to get Godin to be a starter and a "new Skriniar" to be the 3rd CB (Andersen, Romero, Mancini). Skriniar wants a new contract (4mÄ) and at this point, it doesn't seem to make much sense to get 3rd CB to the roster with 5m+Ä annual salary. At least it sounds very strange to me given that we've just been able to get off the hook of SA (almost there!). We can't increase our salary budget yet drastically and making these kind of moves would do exactly that. We have Icardi contract to be extended too, we have Brozo contract increased lately to a bigger tier.

Though does it make sense to get Godin since we have Miranda, who wants to play and who could play after Skriniar is sold? Miranda is like 1,5 years older than Godin. Pajo has said Godin has regressed a bit.

Any comments regarding these thoughts?
    Your post makes sense. It's hard to imagine we're going to keep on the bench a defender who's going to earn at least 5m/season. The fact we keep getting linked with defenders even after securing Godin doesn't make it easier. So it's logical to expect that we're trying to be ready in case we receive a satisfying offer for Skriniar. Though there's another scenario that could explain Inter getting two defenders. We're switching to a back 3 next season.

3. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Not every prospect turns into a Skriniar, however. It sounds like a fun financial philosophy to run on - sell Skriniar for record-fee at his position, bring in an old warhorse with CL experience, sign a highly touted prospect to an apprenticeship and learn the rigors of playing at a top club and, boom, you're set - but that sounds so much easier said than done. Skriniar is one of the best center backs in the planet 20 months or so after coming to Inter. Did anyone expect him to reach this level, and reach it this soon? I'm really not sure you can figure something like that to happen again.

And, I don't know if it was this thread or the Godin thread or wherever the hell, but I'll say again that I don't think selling 24 year olds and replacing them with 33 year olds is something teams with our ambitions do. I'm obviously aware of our settlement agreement complications still for this one last upcoming summer, but, jeez, Skriniar feels like the "keep at all costs" type. Dude has future captain written all over him. Warrior mentality. It's one of those things we really can't afford to lose.

5. Thanks (4): DARi0, GenDire, Rain, _OC_

Vietnam

No Skriniar please. He is the next big thing. Napoli is asking 140/150m for Koulibaly, ManU already offer 110m. We must be really incompetent if we barely get half of that amount (80m is the rumor, isn't it?)

I am not fond of selling De Vrij either, but still understandable if we sell him for FFP sake and replace by Andersen/Mancini etc.

Godin won't be bench, De Vrij will - assuming Skriniar is staying.

Colombia

Business wise it totally makes sense if we get 80 plus for Skriniar, and just spend 20 on one of the mentioned defenders and Godin.

BUT SKRINIAR IS GONNA BE THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE WORLD.

I rather sell Icardi tbh. I love Icardi but I feel like Skriniar will be more important for the future.

Fav. Player
    Maicon

Spain

10 years of FIF
    Yes, let Godin be a top3 best paid player in the squad and being a sub like Miranda this year, is very very strange.
    By the way it's very weird also the idea to sell De Vrij after getting him for free, but would be huge deal sell him to any EPL top team for around 40-50mil and spend it in the requested midfielder.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    The rumoured numbers are coming from the journalists' asses, I wouldn't pay attention yet.

10. Thanks (1): Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Obviously if we sell Skriniar, he indeed needs to cost over 100m€ for the buyer. It needs to be a new world record for a defender.

But. Can they plan ahead a transfer like that? Maybe they've already discussed this with Man United / Barcelona etc and they have some kine of principal agreement already? Otherwise it's just super fucking risky business, if there aren't adequate offers for Skriniar coming for some reason. If he injures himself for 9 months in May?

It's a bit shady stuff and I'm not exactly seeing the big picture clearly with this Godin thing.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

95 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Business wise it totally makes sense if we get 80 plus for Skriniar, and just spend 20 on one of the mentioned defenders and Godin.

BUT SKRINIAR IS GONNA BE THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE WORLD.

I rather sell Icardi tbh. I love Icardi but I feel like Skriniar will be more important for the future.
    It just makes no sense to replace a 23 year old world class potential center back with a 33 year old world class defender. No top top club on earth would ever do such a thing.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
    Not every prospect turns into a Skriniar, however. It sounds like a fun financial philosophy to run on - sell Skriniar for record-fee at his position, bring in an old warhorse with CL experience, sign a highly touted prospect to an apprenticeship and learn the rigors of playing at a top club and, boom, you're set - but that sounds so much easier said than done. Skriniar is one of the best center backs in the planet 20 months or so after coming to Inter. Did anyone expect him to reach this level, and reach it this soon? I'm really not sure you can figure something like that to happen again.

And, I don't know if it was this thread or the Godin thread or wherever the hell, but I'll say again that I don't think selling 24 year olds and replacing them with 33 year olds is something teams with our ambitions do. I'm obviously aware of our settlement agreement complications still for this one last upcoming summer, but, jeez, Skriniar feels like the "keep at all costs" type. Dude has future captain written all over him. Warrior mentality. It's one of those things we really can't afford to lose.
    Yeah this is a good point. It looks nice on paper, to do this switcheroo and keep the machine going. Sell high, buy young and so on. But every player is unique and it's impossible to know how the development goes.

About the selling a star player. I remember those times in 2004-2006 or something. When Chelsea wanted Adriano, when they wanted Martins. For a big price. And then what happened. Shit happened. I think Marotta will bring this thing to this club that no one is bigger than the club. If selling a player benefits the club, it will be done. However of course there are degrees on this, how much the benefit is, how much do we lose. Skriniar indeed feels like a player you don't want to sell. He hasn't indicated he wants to move, quite contrary lately he's been saying all the right words.

14. Thanks (1): Rain

Fav. Player
    Škriniar

Italy

Since we're still under FFP constraints, I don't expect any particular arrival during this window. A backup CB could come to take Miranda's place in case we decided to let him go, but only if there's someone willing to pay decent money (i.e. it won't happen).
    That being said, the management needs to start (well, I hope they already have, actually) laying the ground for next summer's reinforcement of the team, which is imperative if we actually want to aim higher than a top 4 placement in Italy and a walk-on in Europe.

In fact, come summer we'll have to perform a major overhaul in midfield, since we'll never go anywhere with only one (Brozovic) and a half (an half-assed Nainggolan) players of international calibre in the most decisive portion of the field. In particular, I think our management should focus on fixing what I believe to be the two main problems of our team:

a) we need a good, reliable midfield partner for Brozovic, someone who may share his defensive tasks (the Croatian has often been depicted as lazy, but in fact he's the one who runs the most and usually the only midfielder who tracks back until the end of the game) and also be better on the ball than the players we currently have. That would not only allow Brozovic to focus on what he does best (ball distribution), but would also reduce the predictability of our game (the more players who can play the ball you have, the more potential lines of pass there are).
    Mercato rumours say our main target is Cagliari's Barella. I think he would be a very good signing because he fits all the bills: he's young so he still can be moulded into anything, but at the same time he's not so green (almost 100 serie A appearances already); he has a lot of stamina and covers a lot of ground, can play the ball (short and long passes), and has a good shot from distance. He's also an interista, which is always a plus. The only downside to his game is that he's often too reckless with his tackles, which costs him a few too many bookings. However, as I said, he's young and can surely improve on that aspect too. His price tag is rumoured to be around 50m, though, which is quite hefty if you ask me, but (usually reliable) sources in Italy claim that we already have an agreement with him, so let's see what happens (we could also throw a couple of youngers in the deal to lower Cagliari's demands).

Spoiler: Ausilio's initial reaction to Cagliari's demands 

b) we need to increase the general (technical) quality of our players, especially in the final third. How often have we watched a game where Inter are in control of the midfield, have over 60% of ball possession, and yet every time we enter the final third the manoeuvre slows down until we are forced to start again? I think this is due to the fact that we usually have only one player who can actually be relied upon when it comes to scoring goals (hence the opposition will always keep a close eye on him) and too few who can cause trouble to the defence with their dribbling/passing skills. As a result, our attacks are often too predictable and easy to repel. Another problem is that we often commit too few men forward when we play the ball into the box (usually from the flanks). How often a wide player crosses the ball and then the camera shows Icardi alone in the box surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders, with only Perisic nearby - provided he wasn't the one who crossed the ball - and (maybe) Vecino? Now I don't have suggestions to make in this case because I should know which formation we'll be using next season. We could switch to a 2-men attack, in which case one could also be tempted to give Lautaro a proper chance (I think he could work well as SS alongside Icardi). However, if we're to keep playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 we need at least a player with great technique to unsettle the defences and create chances for himself and his teammates.

Of course, all the bullshit I just wrote clashes with the fact that, even though we will finally be out of the SA, we still won't be free to splash out during the summer window. Hence the need to plan our moves carefully, identify the right targets and try to cut decent deals. We'll probably need to sell a few players too, so here's a list of "expendables" (which doesn't include players whom we could do without but whose sale could hardly get us a significant amount of money):

Spoiler: The cuts 

We should definitely sell at least one between Gagliardini and Vecino, who are too similar to each other to be played together and generally not good enough to be anything more than backups in a team that actually wants to be relevant at top level again. Ideally, we should sell both of them, but it will be hard enough finding a suitor for one, so... Joao Mario could get us some decent cash if he keeps performing, but then again he could also turn out to be a good option for us. Gabriel must be sold; I read he wants another chance to prove himself and shit, but I think that boat has sailed (and sunk). We have already moved on; there's Lautaro who's not getting as much playing time as he deserves, so I'm happy he (Gabriel) did well in Brazil, but he has to go (possibly to a gullible PL team). Out of our most valued players, the one I would be willing to sacrifice is Perisic. This year he will turn 30 and he's made it clear that he'd like to play in the PL, so should the right opportunity arise, I would just let him go. If he wants to go there he needs to start performing, though. I mean, goals and assists, because I don't think anyone will be impressed with his defensive shifts. Sadly, I don't think any of the big 6 are interested in his services any more, so he/we will have to lower his/our expectations.

That's it, thanks for reading.

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Why are you getting so concerned about Godin's rumoured high wage?! Selling Skriniar and shit... Even if it's 5M a year that makes 20M before tax for the length of the contract.

As someone else pointed out earlier, Ranocchia and Miranda earn about 6M right now. Godin and someone like Zinho Vandhausen or even a more demanding CB like Andersen would be like 6-7M total...

As for selling Skriniar, please don't even think about it. We have the likes of Gabigol, Perisic, Vecino, Gags to get rid off first before touching anyone important.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

17. Thanks (2): militoscores, MVD

Italy

in order to sell you need to find a buyer first, and it must be someone willing to pay at least close to what you want to make of it.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

19. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by firmino View Post
    in order to sell you need to find a buyer first, and it must be someone willing to pay at least close to what you want to make of it.
    And if the rumoured minimum of 80M necessary to acquire Skriniar is true then we'll have to look elsewhere.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

21. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skriniar37

Indonesia

Barella replace Borja.
    Robben replace Candreva.
    Godin replace Miranda.

Next Summer we get.
    Isco, Kroos, Modric, and SMS.
    Lautaro MartŪnez: Argentina's next big thing
    Milan Skriniar : Next Best Defender In The World

23. Thanks (1): militoscores

Fav. Player
    Škriniar

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Il Drago View Post
    Your post makes sense. It's hard to imagine we're going to keep on the bench a defender who's going to earn at least 5m/season. The fact we keep getting linked with defenders even after securing Godin doesn't make it easier. So it's logical to expect that we're trying to be ready in case we receive a satisfying offer for Skriniar. Though there's another scenario that could explain Inter getting two defenders. We're switching to a back 3 next season.
    Signing a player of Godin's stature on Bosman would be a real coup, considering that we'll still need at least three quality CBs when Miranda leaves. He will turn 33 soon and is obviously past his prime, but I think he could still give us a lot in terms of leadership and experience. Furthermore, I genuinely believe he could form a good pairing both with Skriniar and de Vrij. I don't think they could play together in a 3-men defence as you suggest, though, as none of them is particularly fast nor suited to shift in a FB position when we're in possession.

That being said, I want to reiterate that Skriniar is part of the backbone around which we should build the team for the next 5 years, so it would make no sense selling him. Firstly because you're not sure you can replace him with someone of his calibre, and secondly because a club that talks about "ambition" can't afford letting go one of the few players who have actually proved to belong to the level they (the club) aspire to reach.

Besides, you guy should know by now that one (if not the most important) condition for becoming a football journalist in Italy is not knowing shit about finance (and football, among other things). These 50m they claim we need to raise before July have been calculated on the basis of the revenue expected with the most pessimistic scenario in mind (20th position in serie A and 4th place with 0 points in CL). Hence the real sum will be much, much lower.

25. Thanks (2): MVD, Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Estonia

40 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Škriniar played with Miranda full season in 17/18. This season DeVrij came in as a free signing and after 6 months he has pushed Miranda to the bench. Im sure with Godin coming and Miranda wanting to leave,
    the management is thinking of DeVrij being the supersub, giving rest for either of usual starters. I mean no one argues Godin's quality and DeVrij is still young. He knows he will be a sub and he will be fine with it. Season will be long and DeVrij is a young guy. He is @ Inter, not in Lazio. He will handle it like he handled it this year when Miranda was starting.

We are losing contracts to Miranda and probably Ranocchia. They are total 6M, exactly Godin wages.

What I want is somekind of confirmation from Zhang that Škriniar is untouchable. Until then FIF can't sleep well.

27. Thanks (2): dynasty27, MVD

Fav. Player
    Inter1-0Wanda
    Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I can guarantee a few things:

1 - We arent paying Godin 6m a year to sit on the bench. I'm not sure if its not him sitting on the bench, or his salary, that isnt true of that statement.

2 - We arent having a 45m euro defender on the bench.

There are a few ways to resolve that conundrum. Up to you.

29. Thanks (1): Fapuccino

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Someone's getting sold.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Estonia

40 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    We don't have to sell either of our top defenders IF we can sell Vecino, Gags, Joao Mario AND Perisic. I hope Marotta is smart here, he came from Rube. They won their scudetti with rock solid defense throughout the years.( and referees)

32. Thanks (1): MVD