Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Inter's transfer strategy: Doing a “Barcelona”, without risking an “Arsenal”

  1. #1
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Feb 09
    Posts
    6,484
    Thanked
    10,729 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

    Inter's transfer strategy: Doing a “Barcelona”, without risking an “Arsenal”

    Marco Branca’s new transfer blueprint for the Nerazzurri in this changing UEFA FFP climate is to focus on youth... but will that be his Waterloo?

    Contrary to how it works in England, in Italy it is rarely the coach who decides on transfers... this responsibility usually falls on a specialist director of the club. And at Inter, Branca is that director.

    Since Branca has grown into this role over the last 5-6 years, Inter’s transfer dealings have considerably improved... especially considering the chaotic transfer strategy that has defined much of Moratti’s reign at the club. Of course, this is not to say that the recent success in the transfer market and on the field is mostly down to Branca. There were clearly many other cogs in the wheel (Mourinho, Mancini, Moratti, Oriali, the players, etc) who could rightly claim credit. However no one will question the fact that Marco Branca’s hand was behind a lot of Inter’s successful transfers in the last 5 years.

    Branca’s talent appears to be in understanding exactly what skill set the coach is looking for, and then identifying the most optimal candidate who best meets this desired skill set. More often than not, Branca’s “candidate” was not the same player the coach had his eyes on (e.g.: Sneijder instead of Deco, Lucio instead of Carvalho, etc). But also, more often than not, Branca got it spot on. And this was one of the key building blocks of Il Grande Inter II, the all-conquering treble winning Internazionale of recent past.

    However since then, there has been a clear shift in the transfer strategy. With UEFA’s Financial Fair Play in the horizon, there was a need for Inter to get smarter. And over the last 12 months, we have seen a significant shift in Inter’s strategic focus in the transfer market. No longer are Inter after the “most optimal candidates who best meet the desired skill set”. Instead, Inter are starting to focus on youth, and building a team for the future... Inter’s major signings in this period (Coutinho, Nagatomo, Ranoccchia, Viviano, Pazzini, Alvarez, and possibly Jonathan) are all in the early part of their respective careers, and all reasonably talented. Which bodes well for the future, for surely the squad did need some new blood.

    However, are Inter risking becoming the “Arsenal” of Italy? No disrespect intended towards Arsenal fans, but you know what I mean. Inter sold Balotelli last year to raise some funds (and perhaps his delightful attitude has something to do with it as well), and from the looks of it, Inter will be selling Sneijder this summer. While we can understand the strategic element of why Inter might be considering this transfer, we all know how it can tactically backfire when you start selling your established stars and start buying youth, however talented they may be... So let’s look a little deeper into this proposed Sneijder transfer, is there a tactical element too behind this transfer?

    Continued at: http://www.footballspeak.com/post/20...al”.aspx
    Last edited by Bluenine; 14 Jul 11 at 23:41.

  2. Thanks (1): Jerry

  3. #2
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Very solid blog post, thank you for sharing.

    I think your argument shows why 40 million is not enough... dumping Wes to gain a similarly priced player is risky, and we should look to be compensated for that risk...

    Really the unknown variable is Gasp's proposed tactics and the extent to which they can accommodate Sneijder.
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  4. Thanks (1): Fitzy

  5. #3
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Feb 09
    Posts
    6,484
    Thanked
    10,729 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Very solid blog post, thank you for sharing.

    I think your argument shows why 40 million is not enough... dumping Wes to gain a similarly priced player is risky, and we should look to be compensated for that risk...

    Really the unknown variable is Gasp's proposed tactics and the extent to which they can accommodate Sneijder.
    Thanks.

    I agree, this propposed Sneijder transfer makes me a bit uncomfortable. Firstly coz I do believe that Sneijder has a role to play even in a 3-4-3, as he can play a bit deeper like he does for Holland. And secondly, what happens when/if Gasp gets sacked in 6-12 months, and the new coach needs a player like Wes?

    Gasp is untested at this level, and Inter needs a plan B in case he does not work out... players like Sneijder cannot be easily replaced.

  6. #4
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Thanks.

    I agree, this propposed Sneijder transfer makes me a bit uncomfortable. Firstly coz I do believe that Sneijder has a role to play even in a 3-4-3, as he can play a bit deeper like he does for Holland. And secondly, what happens when/if Gasp gets sacked in 6-12 months, and the new coach needs a player like Wes?

    Gasp is untested at this level, and Inter needs a plan B in case he does not work out... players like Sneijder cannot be easily replaced.
    This for me is the elephant in the room... with the turnover rate of coaches in Italy (and recently at Inter), can it ever be good business to get rid of arguably your best player because your flavor-of-the-month wants to switch up tactics? Seems like a silly way of doing business.

    I know there is talk of Gasp as a long-term prospect, but talk is cheap. Put it this way, the risk of Gasp getting sacked for poor results is certainly lot higher than the risk of Sneijder falling out of the 1st team due to poor performance. Like you said, Wes would not be easily replaced.
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  7. #5
    vitomins's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 09
    Posts
    12,062
    Thanked
    4,941 times
    Fav. Player
    Perisic

    United States

    86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    This for me is the elephant in the room... with the turnover rate of coaches in Italy (and recently at Inter), can it ever be good business to get rid of arguably your best player because your flavor-of-the-month wants to switch up tactics? Seems like a silly way of doing business.

    I know there is talk of Gasp as a long-term prospect, but talk is cheap. Put it this way, the risk of Gasp getting sacked for poor results is certainly lot higher than the risk of Sneijder falling out of the 1st team due to poor performance. Like you said, Wes would not be easily replaced.

    Hmmm....well Gasp said Sneijder is not for sale. Strange because you said he is not in his plans...who should I believe?


    "Sneijder non si vende per nessuna cifra." Loses its beauty if I translate it...

  8. #6
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    Hmmm....well Gasp said Sneijder is not for sale. Strange because you said he is not in his plans...who should I believe?

    "Sneijder non si vende per nessuna cifra." Loses its beauty if I translate it...
    If you really want my advice, I would say don't beleive anything you hear, but rather wait and see what happens

    Perhaps Inter are 100% behind this quote, or maybe we just have not yet seen "la giusta cifra"

    Either way, we were speaking theoretically, so maybe you simply missed the point...
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  9. #7
    vitomins's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 09
    Posts
    12,062
    Thanked
    4,941 times
    Fav. Player
    Perisic

    United States

    86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    If you really want my advice, I would say don't beleive anything you hear, but rather wait and see what happens

    Perhaps Inter are 100% behind this quote, or maybe we just have not yet seen "la giusta cifra"

    Either way, we were speaking theoretically, so maybe you simply missed the point...

    I didn't miss the point, you said that Wes does not fit in Gasp's plan and Gasp clearly stated that Wes should not be sold. Just want the mediatards to be clear that if Wes is sold, it is not because he didn't fit into Gasp's plans or Gasp did not want him...

  10. Thanks (2): Fitzy, Suneet

  11. #8
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    I didn't miss the point, you said that Wes does not fit in Gasp's plan and Gasp clearly stated that Wes should not be sold. Just want the mediatards to be clear that if Wes is sold, it is not because he didn't fit into Gasp's plans or Gasp did not want him...
    1) My first post clearly states that this is unknown.
    2) Don't accept things coaches say to the press at face value.
    3) If you insist on debating me, please quote me accurately.
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  12. #9
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Feb 09
    Posts
    6,484
    Thanked
    10,729 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    I didn't miss the point, you said that Wes does not fit in Gasp's plan and Gasp clearly stated that Wes should not be sold. Just want the mediatards to be clear that if Wes is sold, it is not because he didn't fit into Gasp's plans or Gasp did not want him...
    Vitomins,

    I am certain that Gasp wants Sneijder to stay. Like I said, Sneijder can adapt to a deeper creative role, like he does for his country and did at Ajax... which would suit Gasp's formation just fine...

    But I am also quite sure that Gasp does not consider Sneijder to be "untouchable"... so if a "indecent" offer does arise, I have a feeling that it will be considered. The fact that Branca, Moratti & Gasp have all publically said that Sneijder is not for sale, probably means that Inter will only sell to a ridiculously high offer. An offer which Inter have clearly not recieved....

  13. Thanks (1): Jerry

  14. #10
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Then, again... coaches generally want good players to stay (unless they are a head case). Coaches are not as accountable to the business end as directors. Instead, they are accountable to results, which directly relates to the talent at their disposal (see Benitez asking for "help" from the management).
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  15. Thanks (1): Bluenine

  16. #11
    vitomins's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 09
    Posts
    12,062
    Thanked
    4,941 times
    Fav. Player
    Perisic

    United States

    86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    1) My first post clearly states that this is unknown.
    2) Don't accept things coaches say to the press at face value.
    3) If you insist on debating me, please quote me accurately.

    I didn't quote your first post, I quoted your second. And since you said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    with the turnover rate of coaches in Italy (and recently at Inter), can it ever be good business to get rid of arguably your best player because your flavor-of-the-month wants to switch up tactics? Seems like a silly way of doing business..

    It is pretty clear that you think he does not fit, or else you wouldn't be worried about losing Sneijder to suit our new manager's tactics.



    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Vitomins,

    I am certain that Gasp wants Sneijder to stay. Like I said, Sneijder can adapt to a deeper creative role, like he does for his country and did at Ajax... which would suit Gasp's formation just fine...

    But I am also quite sure that Gasp does not consider Sneijder to be "untouchable"... so if a "indecent" offer does arise, I have a feeling that it will be considered. The fact that Branca, Moratti & Gasp have all publically said that Sneijder is not for sale, probably means that Inter will only sell to a ridiculously high offer. An offer which Inter have clearly not recieved....

    I am sorry I just do not get you guys. Goal.com posts an article about "inside sources" saying that the deal is done and every believes it with no doubt. But when Branca and Gasp come out and say "Sneijder is untouchable", there is doubt. Why the fuck is their more doubt in our club representatives than there is in Goal.com's poor excuse for journalism???

  17. #12
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Vito, do you really think the only source discussing these issues was Goal.com? From day 1, the Italian press has been saying Gasp would use a 3-4-3, and that Sneijder may have to change his role to adapt. If this were true (not that I'm saying it is), it would naturally decrease his value in the squad, perhaps even making him expendable, at the right price. This doesn't mean Gasp doesnt "want" him, but that maybe he is more valuable to United than he is to Inter.

    If you had read the entire thread (4 whole posts... how daunting ) you would have understood that neither of us thought Inter were definitely selling Wes, or that he definitely didn't fit in Gasp's plans. It was simply a civilized, theoretical discussion until you came in and insisted on throwing around an offensive term ("mediatard") in an effort to show everyone how smart you are, or how dumb I am. Either way, spare us the dramatics.

    Finally, in your 'smoking gun' quote that "clearly shows I thought Sneidjer did not fit" I neither mention Wesley nor Gasperini by name. I go on to say how selling a top player due to a tactical change is a bad idea without ever accusing Inter of endorsing of engaging in such thinking. Quit trying so hard... sheesh
    Last edited by Jerry; 15 Jul 11 at 20:08. Reason: just one offensive term, to be fair
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  18. #13
    vitomins's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Apr 09
    Posts
    12,062
    Thanked
    4,941 times
    Fav. Player
    Perisic

    United States

    86 FIF Special Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Vito, do you really think the only source discussing these issues was Goal.com? From day 1, the Italian press has been saying Gasp would use a 3-4-3, and that Sneijder may have to change his role to adapt. If this were true (not that I'm saying it is), it would naturally decrease his value in the squad, perhaps even making him expendable, at the right price. This doesn't mean Gasp doesnt "want" him, but that maybe he is more valuable to United than he is to Inter.

    If you had read the entire thread (4 whole posts... how daunting ) you would have understood that neither of us thought Inter were definitely selling Wes, or that he definitely didn't fit in Gasp's plans. It was simply a civilized, theoretical discussion until you came in and insisted on throwing around an offensive term ("mediatard") in an effort to show everyone how smart you are, or how dumb I am. Either way, spare us the dramatics.

    Finally, in your 'smoking gun' quote that "clearly shows I thought Sneidjer did not fit" I neither mention Wesley nor Gasperini by name. I go on to say how selling a top player due to a tactical change is a bad idea without ever accusing Inter of endorsing of engaging in such thinking. Quit trying so hard... sheesh

    So basically your points are completely meaningless because everything you said is just hypothetical and should not be taken literally? You are on an Inter forum in a thread called Inter's transfer strategy, why the fuck would I care about the way other squads do business? Open a thread called Hadrian's Best Ways To Do Football Business...that way I would never open the thread and this all would have been avoided.

    You obviously assumed that Sneijder does not fit into Gasp's plans and ever since Gasp stated that he wanted to keep him, you have been backpedaling and creating a bunch of excuses and alternate meanings of what you said. You will never admit that you assumed this and I will never believe you when you say you did not assume it, so it is better off to just move on...

  19. Thanks (1): snake

  20. #14
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    The mere fact that Gasp has consistently utilized a 3-4-3 makes my line of inquiry worthwhile. I would never be so brazen as to suggest that I know what is best for Inter, or what exactly is going on behind the scenes. IMO, when it comes to the mercato, the best we can do is guess, which generally entails thinking and speaking hypothetically. (Maybe try looking up the definition of this word, because "meaningless" is not a synonym and "literal" is not an antonym. )

    If you think your contributions here rise to some level beyond educated guesses, you are simply being naive. Regardless, no one at FIF has to answer to you, Vito, so you go on hating, but don't think for one second that you'll deter me from posting my thoughts.
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  21. #15
    b4h4mooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Apr 10
    Posts
    4,841
    Thanked
    2,434 times
    Fav. Player
    Icardi

    Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

    36
    ---Etoo----PAzzini--
    -------Sneijder----

    JZ-Cucu-Ricky-Maicon

    ---Ranno-Samuel-Lucio-

    Sneij fit at 343 aka 3412

  22. Thanks (1): Jerry

  23. #16
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by b4h4mooth View Post
    Sneij fit at 343 aka 3412
    At Genoa, Gasp's 3-4-3 did not set up like that, but rather utilized a trident with 2 attacking wingers.

    The formation you suggest is definitely a possibility, as demonstrated in our recent training match vs. Trentino. Whether Ricky can play as CM in Serie A is still unclear, however. But if you put Motta, Zanetti or Stankovic in his place, then that formation makes a lot of sense.
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  24. #17

    Join Date
    14 Feb 10
    Posts
    39
    Thanked
    1 times
    Fav. Player
    No Milan player



    Quote Originally Posted by vitomins View Post
    So basically your points are completely meaningless because everything you said is just hypothetical and should not be taken literally? You are on an Inter forum in a thread called Inter's transfer strategy, why the fuck would I care about the way other squads do business? Open a thread called Hadrian's Best Ways To Do Football Business...that way I would never open the thread and this all would have been avoided.

    You obviously assumed that Sneijder does not fit into Gasp's plans and ever since Gasp stated that he wanted to keep him, you have been backpedaling and creating a bunch of excuses and alternate meanings of what you said. You will never admit that you assumed this and I will never believe you when you say you did not assume it, so it is better off to just move on...

    I'm with Vito on this. Succint post

  25. Thanks (1): snake

  26. #18
    snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 04
    Posts
    20,808
    Thanked
    7,998 times

    Syria

    10 years of FIF
    Vito has been acclaimed by InterKom...This now makes Vito a made man.

    Congrats bro. Great post too!

  27. #19
    Jerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Feb 09
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanked
    1,676 times
    Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

    Germany

    Quote Originally Posted by InterKom View Post

    I'm with Vito on this. Succint post
    Anyone ever seen Vito and InterKom at the same place at the same time? Dude comes back from a 4 month posting hiatus to pick a side in a flame war? IP check? Just sayin...

    So if we could get back on topic (common refrain these days)... at Genoa, Gasp played a flat 3-4-3, a formation in which Wesley has no natural position. The fact that he showed a 3-4-1-2 in the training match against Trentino suggests that Gasp is willing to alter his preferred shape to accommodate our personnel, most notably Wes, which begins to answer the question I raised in my first post in the thread - an entirely valid question, I might add, that many in the press (no, not Goal.com) were asking from day 1.

    The truth is, before this training match, no one knew where Sneijder was going to play, and no one really knew what tactics Gasp would utilize. This uncertainty made the transfer saga with United that much more troublesome to those who recognize what a talent Sneijder is, and shuddered at the thought of Inter struggling to link the MF to attack the way we did before his arrival.

    That's not to say that all of this is settled. The transfer window is not over and Gasp still has a number of tune-up matches before settling for good on the squad and tactics. Additionally, with the (potential) emergence of Alvarez as a starter, it remains to be seen how Gasp can effectively utilize him with Wesley in a 3-back formation, as neither is proven as a traditional CM in Serie A. Should be interesting, though.

    PS - Nice article, Bluenine
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

  28. #20
    snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Aug 04
    Posts
    20,808
    Thanked
    7,998 times

    Syria

    10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Anyone ever seen Vito and InterKom at the same place at the same time? Dude comes back from a 4 month posting hiatus to pick a side in a flame war? IP check? Just sayin...
    InterKom is actually the forums best poster. He waits months on end..waiting for the right time to drop a line. Should review his posts...they are just pure venom! You know if he spends the time to fuck you up, then it must have been really worth it...cause he waits 4 months to do so.

    Shits me he doesn't post more, he's intelligent as fuck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •