Thread: An Inter Fan in US of A - Loving the game despite it all!

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

An Inter Fan in US of A - Loving the game despite it all!

Loving The Game Despite It All
    04 Aug 2011 By The Riffster (source: www.footballspeak.com)

Trying to follow and appreciate world soccer from the United States is a difficult and precarious pursuit. Each week is fraught with niggardly petty little difficulties in just simply try to watch or listen to the game you love.

Game transmissions and highlight shows that I took for granted when living in Italy or Brasil seem now as unattainable as a winning Lottery ticket. It certainly is not a question of being overwhelmed by too much soccer, it is a question of being frustrated by the failure of getting *any* soccer.

I now log for you a typical week in the life of a calcio-fussball-footy-futbol fanatic in the US of A. Land of the Free, and Home Of The Desperate(ly seeking a live feed of Champion's League match.)

First, let me say that I am not a frequenter of bars. Well, I used to be, but that was when I could withstand an afternoon/evening/night of drinking, bad food and cigarette smoke. That rules out most US sports bars with their desired satellite dishes. Back then I could bounce back quickly from the hangover/upset stomach/bloodshot eyes/nausea accumulated from a night of drinking/eating/partaking involuntarily of second-hand smoke. Now I do this once or twice a year and regret it immensely the following morning. Once every week during soccer season is out of the question.

Age or wisdom? A little of both!

And most of these "sports bars" aren't open at the hours I want to watch soccer (early Sunday morning). And if the game is later on Sunday, there are a *few* American Football fanatics almost everywhere in the bar that object to even one of 26 screens being focused on anything but pictures of giants smashing into one another at high rates of speed. Oh, yeah, a couple of guys want to watch a re-run of "Home Improvement".

So, that rules out bars. For many reasons. But the conservation of my health is turning me to thoughts of crime.

I decide I am going to use the advantages of modern technology to watch. The satellite dish is a wonderful invention, but there is one problem that soccer fans in Chicago know well. Only one dish network is worth getting if you want first-rate international soccer -- DishTV.

But there is a problem with DishTV. The satellite that midwest subscribers must point at to get RAI International with its' excellent slate of Serie A games is over Denver and quite low in the sky. So you have to point your dish at the west and very low. That means a clear line of sight with no obstructions over 15-20 feet high is needed to the West.

Well, they say that 95% of the forested lands in the United States have been cleared now. Well, it seems the 5% left is clustered in the way of access to the satellite of my dreams!

I have always been a lover of nature, who has decried the clearing of trees for yet another strip mall, or another Blockbuster Video, or another McDonald's. But I would be lying if I didn't think about poisoning an oak or maple or two over the last year. God help me.

Hmmm... sneak out at night with a can of powerful herbicide and inject it into a tree in multiple locations. I would really have to jack into a tree to do that kind of damage. Probably have to tap into the roots as well as the heart of the trunk.

Not to mention I would be sneaking into someone else's property, not only being guilty of killing a tree, but also of trespassing and malicious damage to a neighbour's property. Not exactly my cup of tea.

So Paul, what did you do this weekend?

I mowed the lawn, seeded the bare spots, stripped some old paint, layed some new insulation in the ceiling, and I, er... er....

What?

I er, killed two trees.

WHAT! Why!?!?!

Ah, er, because, er, I couldn't point my dish at a satellite.

WHAT!

Ah, heh, yeah. I just can't take it anymore, I missed Juve against Inter!

WHAT! For a lousy soccer game?!?!

I slink away ashamed. How low can I sink to see a child's game of adults kicking a ball into a net! Madonna....

But this is just the start of the agony.

Continued at http://footballspeak.com/post/2011/0...te-It-All.aspx

2. Thanks (2): Coasterfreek, Stefan

United States

62 Forum Supporter
    I agree it's tough being a football/soccer fan in the US. More so because it isn't even one channel you have to buy. And if you're on a budget and can't afford all the fancy channels, well you're screwed.

Wanna watch EPL? Have to buy FSC. (And if you want everything, then FSC+ as well.)
    Wanna watch La Liga? Gotta get GolTV and/or ESPN Deportes.
    Wanna watch Serie A? This time it's RAI.
    And the occasional (maybe once per week) game that's on regular ESPN, the commentators are so clueless it's cringeworthy.

Not to mention not every network even carries all of those. Dish Network (which I have) doesn't carry GolTV which really sucks for me as a Barca fan.

And I'm not even going to get into how difficult it is here to find someone who knows jack shit about the game...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Indonesia

nice story.. reminds me how hard for me to watch inter when i was in dormitory, i must sneak out @3 AM, and go to the police office coz that's the only place that still open
    Ti Te Dominet Milan

Quote Originally Posted by gazzetta dello sport
    "Injustice came immediately but they did not turn it into an excuse. Instead, Inter raised up to control the game at the home of the then unbeatable Juventus. Shining and mastery."

5. Thanks (2): b4h4mooth, Stefan

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saint Kitts Nevis Anguilla

Quote Originally Posted by king_elnino View Post
    nice story.. reminds me how hard for me to watch inter when i was in dormitory, i must sneak out @3 AM, and go to the police office coz that's the only place that still open
    lol nice one mate.....everyone has 'the struggle' story to watch inter match. Mine was when my internet at home got disconected, then at 3 AM in the morning drove my car going to 24 hours open fastfood (their tv cable showing Inter match).Damn it was cold and raining.... brrrrrr

7. Thanks (1): Stefan

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by king_elnino View Post
    I know what you mean...last year when i lived in the dorm i had to go to the bar to watch the games...and if your in the bar, you start drinking...and if your are the only Inter fan in the bar (there arent meny Inter fans in Estonia cuz mostly support Real,Barcelona,Bayern or ManU)what is full of bayern Munich fan's and start yelling GGGGOOOOOOOOAAL! When Inter scores ... well your pretty screwed ( Bayern 2-3 Inter ) lol i can only imagine how much they wanted yo beat me up...good times...
    “Please don't call me arrogant, but I'm European champion and I think I'm a special one.” - LEGEND

R.I.P. Ryan Dunn (11 Jun 1977 - Jun 20 2011)

Fav. Player
    L'Imperatore
    Old name
    Hadrian

Germany

Did I miss something?! No more Serie A on FSC?!?!?!
    "I don't think drugs are the problem."

United States

62 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Did I miss something?! No more Serie A on FSC?!?!?!
    I don't know about when the season starts, but they aren't showing the Super Coppa (it's on RAI). Even if they do show some Serie A they still care much more about the EPL.

Zaire

Yes, FSC still carries Serie A matches. Generally one live on Saturday and one tape delayed. Sunday there is an early match(sometimes replaced by EPL) and the afternoon match. ESPN3 is a great source for Serie A as they cary almost all the matches and have them ondemand as well.

If you have an xbox with xbox live, you can download the ESPN3 program and watch on TV. ESPN3 also carries some EPL, La Liga, and two or three Bundesliga games per weekend.

12. Thanks (1): Jerry

Fav. Player
    Il Chino

Costa Rica

Quote Originally Posted by Visca View Post
    I don't know about when the season starts, but they aren't showing the Super Coppa (it's on RAI). Even if they do show some Serie A they still care much more about the EPL.
    FSC has rights to Serie A matches, but not Coppa Italia matches (those are on GolTV), so I'm assuming they didn't have the rights to the SuperCoppa match.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    I can also relate to this article, coz I grew up in India... a country of cricket lovers, where (if we were lucky) we could catch one game of Serie A per week... most times, it was reading live commentary on the internet!! Actually, I know Paul (the author) from the 90s, coz he used to translate Scarpini's commentary live for us

Fav. Player
    Durian

Ecuador

15 Forum Supporter
    I know the feeling on finding feeds for the sport. I don't have any of those fancy channels at home, or in my dorm. It's all internet news and streaming for me to watch Inter. I've occasionally had the CL on my FSN affiliate pick up a few games. The EPL gets minor coverage on ESPN, but that's about it. I've depended on the Internet to support Inter continually, and will do so for the rest of my life living here. Ironic that "Inter" is in the word "Internet" isn't it?