View Poll Results: Where does this thread belong?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • La Grande Inter

38 82.61%
  • Former players & coaches

8 17.39%
Page 1 of 152 12341151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Alvaro "Il Chino" Recoba

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Alvaro "Il Chino" Recoba

I couldnt find a thread about our chinaman so i have opened this one cause i found a very very interesting article in goal.com forums about Recoba.

Player Profile: Alvaro 'El Chino' Recoba
    12/8/2004 1:23:00 PM
    Recoba has long been branded ‘inconsistent,’ a tag which has dogged his career and one which is undeserved, according to Faisal Hassan. Faisal is a firm believer in Recoba’s ability. Indeed, he told Goal.com: ''If there is anything more freakish than Recoba's rare talents, it is the way those talents have been wasted [by his employers].”
    Nicknamed ’El Chino’ (The Chinaman) because of his Oriental features, Recoba possesses such talent in his left foot that its easy to believe he is an alien.

Recoba burst on the football scene as a 16-year-old in 1993 for Montevideo side Danubio. Over the next four years he scored 62 goals in 58 games, moved to Uruguayan giant Nacional and then to Inter for US$4.5 million.

Making his debut the same day as Brazilian superstar Ronaldo, it was the little known Uruguayan who stole the headlines, grabbing two wonder strikes from 40 and 30 yards in 20 minutes to help Inter beat Brescia 2-1. It was to go down as the greatest debut in SerieA history

This started a trend and Recoba was always expected to save Inter by coming off the bench. If he didn’t he was called ’inconsistent’ by the famously fickle Nerazzuri faithful. His chances were few and far between so in the second half of the 98/99 season Inter decided to loan a young Chino to a doomed Venezia team in the relegation zone. Recoba single-handedly saved them from relegation moving them up into mid-table with a hand in 20 of Venezia’s 22 goals (11 goals, 9 assists) in that period. He was named player of the season and won plaudits from all around Europe, but unfortunately for the football world Inter still owned his contract.

So he moved back into blue and black and it was the same old story until Ronaldo’s and other injuries helped Recoba’s cause. Because he had impressed so much in the 1999/2000 (10 goals 18 assists) he was offered the highest paid contract in world football at that time. Things seemed to be going great until the injuries came and a passport scandal that eventually led to his being banned from playing for 4 months.

It was in Inter’s Cuper era that Recoba’s genius was most greatly misused. The Argentine tactician played Recoba as a left midfielder and expected him to defend, as a team lacking ideas was taught to hit long balls to bulldozer striker Christian Vieri. Recoba was isolated and bashed for not knowing how to tackle and lack of work-rate whilst expected to save the day by taking teams apart without much attacking options (though he still managed to do this on more than a few occasions). Injuries and long lay-offs came the following season and Recoba was made to be scapegoat for the team’s Champions League exit despite being extremely out of shape due to
    lack of match fitness.

This sealed the “inconsistent” tag, which stuck for the fans - but Recoba’s inconsistency remains one of the biggest myths in modern football.

Let’s take a look at the statistics...

- Last season under the first coach since his Venezia days to let him be free (Zaccheroni) Recoba had the best goal per minute ratio out of any Inter player after missing the first part of the season to injury.
    - Recoba has played only 124 league games in an Inter shirt in 8 years and despite this extremely low number of appearances (let alone starts) he has scored over 50 goals and made countless assists.
    - His total career stats are even more impressive, in 269 career games Recoba has scored 135 goals, Yes Alvaro Recoba!

Per game he is one of the most consistent fantasy type forwards in Europe, but he doesn’t have the hundreds of games other lesser, more-hyped talents do. So people automatically assume when he wins a match that he has been useless for the times he hasn’t hit the headlines - when he in fact hasn’t really been used much before then. If he has a poor game it’s because he is ‘inconsistent Recoba’; but if a Totti or a Zidane has an invisible game people will soon erase it from their memory because of the many, many match opportunities their talents will have to balance things out.

It’s not long until Recoba is 29 and his best has probably passed, but I will remember him as one of the greatest talents in the history of the game. I believe the likes of Baggio and Zidane didn’t have anything on El Chino and wouldn’t do half as well in his shoes; but most will just go with the myth of his ’great inconsistency’
    Hernán Crespo, Internazionale, after UEFA Champions League game, replying on a question about Ibrahimovic(Sept 26, 2002):

"He is one of the best forwards I have met this year. In my opinion he can become one of the world's greatest players. He already has enormous qualities."

2. Thanks (2): AxigZag.ESIOLAG., Guney

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

I swear man this almost made me cry, just reading how we have destroyed a potential legendary player here. Alvaro could have really become a great if it wasnt for our dumb coaches. Like a fan said that he thought that under Mancini we would see the real Recoba but No, under him his situation is even becoming worse.

I really feel sad for our Chino and pity him. This also shows what a man of heart he is by never leaving us even knowing that with his talent he deserves a place on the pitch on every team. But no he is suffering on our bench. I really hope that somehow someway someday our Recoba shows the world again what he truelly is made off and that he can become a starter.

Its not his fault for him being dubbed Inconsistent as he never ever has been played consistentally as the article says.

Forza Recoba I love you, u are a great guy
    Hernán Crespo, Internazionale, after UEFA Champions League game, replying on a question about Ibrahimovic(Sept 26, 2002):

"He is one of the best forwards I have met this year. In my opinion he can become one of the world's greatest players. He already has enormous qualities."

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    The article is soo true..Many coaches and fans go for hype.

I got to agree that what i saw from Recoba under Zac was really great and hoped Mancini would do the same but nope

He still despite his label scores the best goals and gives wonderful assissts..His work rate doesnt show defensively on the pitch but his brilliance offensively to me(at least what i saw ) makes up for that..

There are many games that I thought we would have done better using him as a weapon instead of two similar players that dont know how to play off each other..

To me Recoba can play with any striker we have,if only Mancini would realize that we would have phenominal pairings...A pure striker inside the box along with a great talent that sets him up or can launch a rocket from the outside...Simply unstoppable and mouth watering.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Mancini knows what Chino is but he doesn't like him for personal reasons even though Chino has done nothing to deserve this.

We can only hope he will have a change of heart

I like Recoba but he's not as good as Zidane.

True, He is far better

Quote Originally Posted by El Chino Recoba
    True, He is far better
    Yes, Zidane is far better than Recoba.

Fav. Player
    Gerrard, Smicer

Look, people: none of the 8(yes, that's eight) coaches played Recoba, so there has to be a motive, something the common mortal does not see. I remeber Lippi once saying Recoba was one of the most intelligent players he coached. But actions speak louder then words, and once back to Juve Lippi made absolutely no effort to bring him along. Why?

Based on a couple of episodes I made my own conclusion as to why people do not like Recoba. Last seasom against Ancona, by then a proud new owner of several negative records of Serie A, where Chino scored one and set up one he came up to the cameras and said something like:"I'd like to see them keep me out of the team now." He released simillar statements after the Anderlecht game and it was then that Mancini decided not to take him to Siena. It seems Recoba has this problem that when he is given faith by the coach he thinks that's the end of it and he needs do nothing more in his game. That is at least the conclusion I came to.
    Moggi, magari' mori' oggi!!!!!
    Galliani magari' mori' domani!!!!
    Lotito verme!!!!

Your conclusions are wrong and he didn't say those words, If Recoba was this type of character he would of got alot more games.

Any club in the world would of taken Recoba in a heartbeat but he is like a great painting, Priceless and no bid from top clubs around the world have been accepted by Massimo Moratti.

And what have these coaches you that you speak of won? All these coaches and nothing.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Alvaro helped in ruining himself.

He will only ever suceed at a team like Sampa or Palermo palying behind Toni.

Anyway, He did say similar words cause remember the bust up between him and Mancio?

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Recoba destryoed and is destroying himself. I am a massive fan of him, but i have to wait every 3 appearance of his to see him try hard.

As Milos said, all the coaches weren't blind, they just realized that this guy is a headcase.

Yes he is destroyed himself by staying at Inter when he could of gone to Barca Man Utd Arsenal etc a long time ago and become a true great.

I agree that he is not ordinary,Not in a Romario Maradona type of way but a Baggio Rivaldo introvert. Strange mentally but a genius and you don't look at him in the way you look at other players otherwise you won't understand him. A player you have to have faith in and patience with full confidence then you see something unstoppable(Like at Venezia) but at Inter 12 coaches in 10 years they didn't have the time nor faith to have trust in the rare Chino especially in a club with so many champions and the guy who had the most time(Cuper) was ultradefensive and played him as a left mid in not just a balanced or a attacking team but pure cattenecio and thats the way the story is sometimes only 99 times out of 100 the player leaves and makes his mark in football history to the former clubs regret.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

El Chino Recoba

Are you by any chance the poster called Faisal on XT forums ?
    Born Interista, will die Interista.

"I'd even play in goal just to play, but I don't want to create competition for Toldo... I'm prepared to play anywhere." Dejan Stankovic

Yeah I didn't want to give it away though.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

so that's Faisal, I enjoyed reading your piece on goal.com couple of months ago.

Well, you mentioned Romario and that's the closes thing to Recoba that ever existed. Both were talented but both were not the easiest of cases. However, Romario is far more efficient than Recoba, not only because he obviously played more, but becuase he scored and played hard everytime he starred.

Romario was hard to deal with. I remember when he quit Valencia because he said Ranieri's training methods weren't for him. Recoba has the same mentality, but he doesn't have the efficiency to back it up.

It's one thing to play well against Anderlecht and Atalanta, but it's another to play well everytime you start, and it's even more 'another' to try hard everytime you play. Not just stand around and try backheels when a simple pass would do.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    I thought you are already registered here? It was very easy to spot it was you.

Handyo

I think Mancini is going to suprise us and play Recoba against milan...or i HOPE
    I'm crushed, Black and Blue, but you know I'd do it all again for you.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

But I think he was one of those that got de-registred after the problems with the database.

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    I do think that this is Recoba's last season in Inter. I have got nothin to say than this in Recoba's case. Not that I dislike him or anything, indeed I admire him for his skills.

Discussing on Recoba's not easy as well. Most ppl say he's inconsistent and so on, but I wonder did he really get the chance he deserved ??

I mean, when he was used more often, we would see him in LM position which wasn't his real position. Neither he's a good playmaker. Sometimes, I do think that he could have given us more had we used him as support striker. But that wasn't the case, coz we never stopped buying stikers one after another. He had very limited number of games to show his worth and that wasn't enough for him. He showed glimpses of his game, earned a starting spot for the next game, but sadly couldn't play consistently well. But again, something could had happened had he got the same kinda trust Vieri got in the start of this season and same goes for Stankovic, C.Zanetti as well.

Well, we never know........ For the good of Inter and Recoba himself, I do think that Recoba should leave Inter for a new adventure. I would be happy to see him play well in other leagues - Spanish.

It's either Vieri or Recoba who will leave Inter at the end of this season, which I am sure of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    so that's Faisal, I enjoyed reading your piece on goal.com couple of months ago.

Well, you mentioned Romario and that's the closes thing to Recoba that ever existed. Both were talented but both were not the easiest of cases. However, Romario is far more efficient than Recoba, not only because he obviously played more, but becuase he scored and played hard everytime he starred.

Romario was hard to deal with. I remember when he quit Valencia because he said Ranieri's training methods weren't for him. Recoba has the same mentality, but he doesn't have the efficiency to back it up.

It's one thing to play well against Anderlecht and Atalanta, but it's another to play well everytime you start, and it's even more 'another' to try hard everytime you play. Not just stand around and try backheels when a simple pass would do.
    Romario is different in character, Complex but different to Recoba and as a player too Recoba has more to his game. He makes goals and assists like no other and is a amazingly intelligent player but needs confidence and faith. Thats it but Inter is the worst club for such a character but even then you would think he would of left many summers ago but he loves the club and Moratti. That was the main problem. Other strange characters like Bergkamp for example was given many chances but underperformed great and Moratti threw him away. Recoba sadly shined but wasn't give the faith and chances in his position but rather on the left mid position or anywhere else but when he plays as a second striker more times than not he shines and shows everyone what a talent he is. He should of left like others but for sure I know he will never be appreciated unless he did leave to say a Arsenal in 2002 and had a manager like Wenger backing him 100%, Balon D'or in his first season but now its too late and he isn't as young as he used to be. This season was his last chance but Mancini prefers his friends or even guys like Cruz ahead of him when Recoba saved his job against Samp. Anyway this is getting boring now...