Thread: The final piece in Milan's jigsaw

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

The final piece in Milan's jigsaw

The final piece in Milan's jigsaw -- by Gautam Sharma

Milan jigsaw mini.jpg

After a gap of 7 years, Milan are the Champions of Italy again. One could attribute this most recent success to various factors over the last 12 months Ė the key acquisitions of Ibrahimovic, Robinho & Cassano, the crisis that hit rivals Inter last season, early exit from the Champions League, the successful CB partnership of Thiago & Nesta, etc. However, one cannot understate the role played by new coach Allegri and his tactical acumen.

Leoís World of Fantasy
    When Leo grudgingly took over the reins at Milan, he inherited the challenges that were cleverly largely masked by the tactical competence of his predecessor Ancelotti. An aging squad, lack of investment, lack of a quality bench specially in defence, etc. Leoís answer to these issues was 4-2-Fantasista, an all out attacking approach to the game. And the rest is history. Leoís reign at Milan was characterized by loss in key games, and not so coincidently we could say the same about Leoís Inter. There is a fine line between bravery & foolishness, and Leoís tactics frequently flirted back and forth this line.

Back to the Basics
    Allegriís logical approach to tactics at Milan came as a breadth of fresh air to most rossoneri. Inspite of being given the attacking talents of Ibra, Robinho and later Cassano, Allegriís work started from the defence. His favoured 4-3-1-2 formation was much more compact, providing better cover for the defence. Milan won the Scudetto conceding only 24 goals, the least for any team in the league. A sharp contrast to Leoís Milan, this defensive solidity was not just a result of Thiago & Nestaís form. It was the defensive discipline Allegri managed to build with his 4-3-1-2. Interestingly, Milan's focus in the January transfer window was also on defence (Van Bommel, Emanuelson). And the results showed. Milan had conceeded 18 goals from the fiurst 21 games, ended up conceeding just 5 from the last 17. Everyone was working harder off the ball too, a prime example of that being the improved work rate demonstrated by Robinho.

There were many doubters when Milan has announced the appointment of Allegri, who has never coached at this level before. After all, overachieving at a small club like Cagliari does not necessarily make you qualified to coach a club like Milan in the Champions League, manage players like Ibrahimovic & Robinho, and massage the ego of a President like Berlusconi. Allegri exceeded expectation in all counts. He not only build a defensive discipline that Milan have lacked for a long time, he was also tactically astute enough to manage injuries, player rotation, star ego's, and his President's often irrational demands. And he won the title in his first season with Milan, joining a select group of coaches like Capello & Ancelotti.

Milanís Calcio Mercato this summer

"It is not about presents and cherries on the cake. The important thing is to build a balanced squad." -- Massimiliano Allegri

Milan transfers.jpg

At first glance, this looks like a very ordinary, unremarkable summer. No presents, no cherries on the cake. However, Milan have cleverly managed to get rid of some deadwood wages (Legro, Papa, Onyewu, & Janku) as well as the substantial wages of the injury-prone Pirlo. They have also successfully farmed out two of their more exciting talents (Merkel & Strasser), and acquired another exciting youngster in El Shaarawy, who is one kid to watch out for. So that leaves Mexes & Taiwo, so what is so remarkable about that. Before we discuss that, there is the case of the invisible man in that list...

Mr X, the Invisible Man
    Galliani has been alluding to a particular acquisition all summer, a player he has named Mr X (yeah, that baldie is such a drama queen!). Most likely Mr X is a regista, a like-to-like replacement for Pirlo, and perhaps a younger, healthier version. The most talked about names in the media have been Montolivo & Aquilani (the latter seems to be in the driving seat lately, inspite of his injury history). The long shots could include Banega, Ganso & Hamsik, even though the latter two have different characteristics. Eitherways, Milan are going to acquire a quality playmaker this summer, and that in my opinion will be the final piece to complete Milanís jigsaw.

Completing the Jigsaw
    One way to analyse the impact of these transfers is to create two teams from Milanís current squad using Allegriís formation of choice (4-3-1-2) to identify the gaps:

Continued at: http://footballspeak.com/post/2011/0...ns-jigsaw.aspx

Fav. Player
    Ranocchia

Macedonia

Who is interested in BBilan colums?

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Albania

delete
    Last edited by jmaster; 24 Aug 11 at 18:30. Reason: no needed post
    TI TE DOMINET MILAN

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Its an interesting article. If you guys don't like reading about it, ignore it. No need to be rude.
    Last edited by Stefan; 24 Aug 11 at 19:41.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

5. Thanks (1): Bluenine

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Albania

You need to be rude?
    TI TE DOMINET MILAN

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Who is interested in BBilan colums?
    I just thought others like me would be interested coz Milan are our main rivals for the scudetto... and unfortunately, they are being quite clever in the transfer market - I believe Allegri has got an ideal squad to suit his tactics now. Dark force rising, its not good...

8. Thanks (1): A.l.i

Australia

This article is riddled with inconsistencies. The biggest being he thinks Mr. X will be played at CDM whereas Van Bommel would be played at LCM....

Seriously? Did the dude even bother to research properly?

Moreover, Emanuelson at LB? Gattuso at CDM?

Does the dude even know which positions they play at?

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Ash1899 View Post
    This article is riddled with inconsistencies. The biggest being he thinks Mr. X will be played at CDM whereas Van Bommel would be played at LCM....

The question however is : Do we look like we care?
    Forza Internazionale Milano
    Buffalo KAA Gent - Belgian Champions 2014-2015

http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...=1#post1395711

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Nerazzurri1991 View Post
    The question however is : Do we look like we care?
    If you dont care, then why are you in this thread?

Why bother replying in the first place?

Las I checkedthe thread was about an article, an article whose flaws I pointed out. If you dont have anything to say, why bother making a nonsense reply?

12. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Quote Originally Posted by Ash1899 View Post

Dude, I know MVB & Ambrosini played the "CDM" role last season - that was kinda forced upon them due to Pirlo's injury/lack of form. I believe that could change this season with Aquilani playing regista, like Pirlo used to for so many years. Hence the slight change in positions - basically IMO Milan could move into a system with 2 deeper mids, and 2 more attacking mids, and this was the best way to reflect that change.

As for Emanuelson, you do know that he can and he has played LB before? And quite well too. I put him as LB coz IMO he will be an improvement on Antonini... don't ya think?

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    Dude, I know MVB & Ambrosini played the "CDM" role last season - that was kinda forced upon them due to Pirlo's injury/lack of form. I believe that could change this season with Aquilani playing regista, like Pirlo used to for so many years. Hence the slight change in positions - basically IMO Milan could move into a system with 2 deeper mids, and 2 more attacking mids, and this was the best way to reflect that change.

As for Emanuelson, you do know that he can and he has played LB before? And quite well too. I put him as LB coz IMO he will be an improvement on Antonini... don't ya think?
    No it wasnt. If you had watched Milan more last season and gone through Allegri's interviews you would know that was Allegri's plan all along. Sure, he may have started with a regista but he quickly gave up on that after he realized it weakened us defensively. Allegri's first priority has always been to shore up the defense and that means play a proper CDM infront of defense. This is also one of the reasons why we got Van Bommel in the first place when Ambro was out injured. This is also the main reason why we let Pirlo go as he couldnt play anywhere other than the regista. Rest assured that Aquilani was NOT brought in to play as regista. When Allegri was asked about him he said that Aquilani could play as either RCM, LCM or CAM but he did not mention anything of him playing as a deep lying playmaker. That's because it's widely known for a fact that position is only for a pure DM with Van Bommel starting and Ambrosini as his backup. It is true that Allegri wants a system where the midfielders constantly exchange position BUT the CDM remains the same. Allegri wants two B2B midfielders flanking the CDM who could both help in the attack while at the same time track back to help out the defense. His CAM is also not a traditional no. 10 but more of a Kaka type who has both vision and dribbling ability. We used Boateng there last season because of his movement and work rate and also because of his runs into the box. But Allegri has already told him that his future eventually lies in the midfield so this season we are likely to see him more as a RCM. If we get Montolivo it is likely we are gonna play Aquilani at CAM but he would be constantly exchanging positions with Boateng and Montolivo. What Allegri ultimately wants is a fluid system where the players constantly move around but at the same time still maintain shape. He wants us to play a more possesion based football and put constant pressure on the ball when we dont have it. More or less it will be Barca lite but with the more traditional Milan style of playing...

As for Emanuelson, both the management and Allegri see him as a midfielder than a LB and even said so when he was first signed. He only played one game at LB and that too for a mere 20 minutes. We already have Zambrotta as Taiwo's backup who provides more security in defense, something which Antonini and Urby cannot. But you are right that I would love for us to train him more as a LB backup because Antonini is just hopeless at this point...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    yuk.

Shit doesnt happen

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Indonesia

"Keep your friends close, and your enemy closer.."

Tanx for the article.
    Ti Te Dominet Milan

Quote Originally Posted by gazzetta dello sport
    "Injustice came immediately but they did not turn it into an excuse. Instead, Inter raised up to control the game at the home of the then unbeatable Juventus. Shining and mastery."

17. Thanks (1): Bluenine

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Conceding 5 goals in the last 17 matches has gotta be a record of some sort.

Seriously, their defense last season was just too good to be true.

19. Thanks (1): A.l.i

Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo View Post
    Conceding 5 goals in the last 17 matches has gotta be a record of some sort.

Seriously, their defense last season was just too good to be true.
    7 in total for the second half of the season, of which 4 came against Udinese

If only we had our full strength team we would have avoided that....

Funny thing is that it is exactly the same defense it was from last season. Goes to show how a good tactical coach can do wonders for a team....

21. Thanks (2): A.l.i, Bluenine

Australia

10 years of FIF
    I concur with those who were considered rude for asking why an article on Milan was posted in the Writer's Section of an Inter Forum. If you want to write about Milan, post on a Milan Forum. Or alternatively, post in the Milan Flamer's Forum where all things Milan belong.

Fav. Player
    ₩Ä$£Ä•

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Good article. Anyone that thinks it doesn't belong here should just not read it.

As Interisti, we should be gratefull of having such a competitve rival. That's why the Milan derby is one of the best if not the best rival derby in the world.

We cannot ignore the fact that we have lived in their shadows for a long time. Beating them at their best makes the victory even sweeter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a difference between rivalry and hate. You can hate them as much as you like, but you should respect the rivalry we have with them.

Forza Inter !
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

ďI donít think the formation model counts, itís all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Interista 4 Ever View Post
    Good article. Anyone that thinks it doesn't belong here should just not read it.

As Interisti, we should be gratefull of having such a competitve rival. That's why the Milan derby is one of the best if not the best rival derby in the world.

We cannot ignore the fact that we have lived in their shadows for a long time. Beating them at their best makes the victory even sweeter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a difference between rivalry and hate. You can hate them as much as you like, but you should respect the rivalry we have with them.

Forza Inter !
    ok...

You don't even believe the nonsense you just wrote.. and no one, no true fan in any true rivalry, Barca-Madrid, Inter-Milan, Boca-River, United-Liverpool, wants to ever see the other team at their best. Ask any Milan fan what their sweetest victory against us was and they'll tell you 6-0.. just like we would probably bring up 4-0. I can almost guarantee you that none of them would even bring up their 2008 May victory that almost costed us the Scudetto.

Me and anyone here who is honest with themselves want to see Milan crash and burn, just like Milan fans want to see us crash and burn. I want to see them lose every game, just like they want us to lose every game. I will never hope for them to be competitive as you seem to want.. why? Cause I'm not a shit talker on a forum. My sole interest is seeing Inter-Milan and not Milan-Inter. If that means that Milan have a team of pensioners.. then so be it..

My concern is Inter, not Milan.
    Best match thread opener ever.

25. Thanks (3): A.l.i, Kenny, Puma

Fav. Player
    ₩Ä$£Ä•

Macedonia

6 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyall View Post
    ok...

You don't even believe the nonsense you just wrote.. and no one, no true fan in any true rivalry, Barca-Madrid, Inter-Milan, Boca-River, United-Liverpool, wants to ever see the other team at their best. Ask any Milan fan what their sweetest victory against us was and they'll tell you 6-0.. just like we would probably bring up 4-0. I can almost guarantee you that none of them would even bring up their 2008 May victory that almost costed us the Scudetto.

Me and anyone here who is honest with themselves want to see Milan crash and burn, just like Milan fans want to see us crash and burn. I want to see them lose every game, just like they want us to lose every game. I will never hope for them to be competitive as you seem to want.. why? Cause I'm not a shit talker on a forum. My sole interest is seeing Inter-Milan and not Milan-Inter. If that means that Milan have a team of pensioners.. then so be it..

My concern is Inter, not Milan.
    Good for you Nyall.

You clearly just demonstrated what a "shit talker on a forum" you are. Have a look at the level of competition between the rival teams you just mentioned. How have these rivalries come to be ? Is it from one team being absolute shit and the other one walks all over them every single game ?

You have totally missed the point because of your childish one-dimensional way of thinking.

As for crashing and burning, i've waited a hell of a long time for the joy of getting on top of Milan and giving back what i copped for close to two decades. So don't gimmie your hero shit talk about them wishing we lose every game like our fans wish they lose every game.

Some concern you have for inter when more then half the shit you post is derogatory and pessimistic.

Well done genius.
    INTERISTA 4 EVER

ďI donít think the formation model counts, itís all about the principles and the attitude" - Stefano Pioli

Fav. Player
    Burdisso

Canada

16 FIF Special Ones Forum Supporter Most Stubborn Poster Most Pessimistic Member

You go along here, with a long thought out "history" backed by living through the dark ages, blah, blah, blah, blah.. When in reality, you're not that special.. So many of us here, have gone through the same as you have.. which included but was not limited to: Scudetto win, stuggling, struggling, whilst Milan kicks major ass, a near relegation finish followed by 3 UEFA Cup wins, and then a near decade long wait before silverware.. BY JOVE! What a plague you must have felt! You must probably have felt like Arsenal fans do now.. boohoo! I on the other, only know how to win! I never knew bad times, only good, in fact Inter became my favorite club on May 22nd 2010. Bad times? What bad times, I'm spoiled! Moratti runs the blatantly mismanages the club? He did so much for the club during the bad times! I'm spoiled! But enough about that let's get to your post..

You clearly just demonstrated what a "shit talker on a forum" you are. Have a look at the level of competition between the rival teams you just mentioned. How have these rivalries come to be ? Is it from one team being absolute shit and the other one walks all over them every single game ?
    Like seriously? How exactly were you able to deduce that from my post? Where exactly did I even try get into how the rivalries were started when I was clearly talking about what the rivalries have become now. Fact is, on derby day we don't care who Milan fields, we just want to beat them, if you're really going to tell me you're different from that, that "it's above my childish, one-dimensional, way of thinking" then you certainly must not have enjoyed Milan 0-4 Inter.. after all they were a mere shade of the team that they are now.. So far from their best. Beating your rival is good, in fact, it's amazing, but embarrassing your rival is legendary! This is what is really remembered in the hearts of minds for time to come... for as time passes no one will care who fielded who or whether or not Rival A was not at their best when playing Rival B, what will be remembered is the fact Rival A destroyed Rival B in the <insert derby name here>

As for crashing and burning, i've waited a hell of a long time for the joy of getting on top of Milan and giving back what i copped for close to two decades. So don't gimmie your hero shit talk about them wishing we lose every game like our fans wish they lose every game.
    Haven't we all? What's your point?

Some concern you have for inter when more then half the shit you post is derogatory and pessimistic.
    Oh forgive me for not having Moratti in my heart, I'm sorry that I appear as if I'm derogatory and pessimistic to you. The club is in 1st place after all! We're in the green financially! Our squad's average age is on the better side of 30! And last but not least, our players don't seem to lack the basic qualities that are to be expected of professionals.
    It's actually funny, considering how I won the Most Optimistic Award here in 2008.

Well done genius.
    Thanks but I'm no genius, just merely an honors student .
    Best match thread opener ever.

28. Thanks (1): Puma