Thread: Arrivederci Santon

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Arrivederci Santon

The recent departure of Davide Santon has caught more attention more than the arrivals of Diego Forlan and Andrea Poli. Forlan would be seen as a good short-term signing and I hope he still has some good years left in him rather than being on the way down in his career graph. Poli, on the other hand, is on the up. I honestly have not seen enough of hm to pass a judgement on him but the fact that he is Italian and a young talent that I have a lot of good things about is enough to keep me excited and hoping for great things for him and Inter.

I am sad to see Santon leave and sadder to see his drop in the pecking order at Inter. He was given his debut by Jose Mourinho in 2009 in a Coppa Italia tie against Roma and he went from strength to strength from there and caught everyone’s attentions culminating in a fantastic game against the then reigning European champions, Manchester United man-marking Cristiano Ronaldo and holding his own against the then reigning Ballon D’Or winner.

He went on to win his first senior honour, the 2008-09 Scudetto and was called up by Italy for the 2009 Confederations Cup. He was likened to Paolo Maldini by then Italy coach, Marcello Lippi and the tag of the “new Maldini” stuck to him.

What followed were a couple of seasons of great disappointments for the youngster.Eventhough Inter went on to have a majestic, memorable and remarkable 2009-10 season, winning the treble, Santon hardly played a part as he was sidelined by knee injuries. The following season, his mentor, Mourinho had left and Santon suffered from a combination of lost of form and confidence and he left for Cesena on loan in January.

It seemed that he had regained his form and confidence from playing regularly for the Seahorses and even got a call-up by new Italy coach Cesare Prandelli for the friendly against Ukraine in March. It seem that under a new management at club level in Gasperini who was known to be favourable to youth, Santon would be given more chances to play but that was not the case and he was sold to Newcastle United....Continued at Arrivederci Santon

Fav. Player

Malaysia

Very disappointed with Santon departure...

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Yeah, me too

Fav. Player
    Rano & Santon

Germany

I'm dreaming about him coming back to us in some years as a well developed player. He is an Interista and I hope he can forgive us that he wasn't used at end of his period here. Really miss him and now I am forced to watch Newcastle games. Good luck kiddo

Fav. Player
    No Milan player

How much money we are going to pay for him to come back to us?

Poland

true Interista leaving is a pain

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

Maybe we inserted a buy back clause.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Russian Federation

Ciao DAVIDE " GRANDE BAMBINO" SANTON.. I will miss you :/

Fav. Player
    Zanetti 4E

Mexico

Goodbye SANTON... I hope that YOU benefit from this transfer and step up your game as a Toon! You have a promising career in front of you; take advantage of all your qualities and exploit them in order to become the great footballer I see in you! Good luck boy!