Inter - Napoli (21 Nov 21) [3-2]

Bluenine

La Grande Inter
La Grande Inter
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
Transfer Guru
I guess no one wants to open this thread. Napoli have by far the meanest defence in Italy, only 4 goals conceded so far (everyone else is on double figures). This is going to be tough, specially if we are without Dzeko. We cannot afford defensive mistakes against this team.

Its time to end Napoli's run. Lets do dis. Forza Inter!

YoramG

Allenatore
Allenatore
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
For the first time in 2 years, I’m actually going home to Italy and my first stop is San Siro for this game with my Napoli supporting Dad :D

Beyond excited, let’s just hope we don’t embarrass ourselves here.

Candreva Crosses

Allenatore
Allenatore
Favorite Player
Sheik Salman
Old username
EEeyOO
For the first time in 2 years, I’m actually going home to Italy and my first stop is San Siro for this game with my Napoli supporting Dad :D

Stay safe, corona is going wild

Bluenine

La Grande Inter
La Grande Inter
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
Transfer Guru

Be gentle with your dad after the game :yao:

Sawyer

Capitano
Capitano
Favorite Player
Dimarco
10 years of FIF
Forum Supporter
Can't come quick enough this game, can't stand international football. On the plus side my poor wife gets to spend the weekend with me as I am not glued to the TV watching games haha.

Napoli be a good game, toughest opponent this season imo. We get a win here (which I feel we will) I will be very happy and confident going forward.

Bluenine

La Grande Inter
La Grande Inter
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
Transfer Guru
So far we have Dzeko, Barella, Vidal, Bastoni and De Vrij doubtful with injuries. Anyone else?

WTF!! Thats half our starting XI! Get Pintus back!

forzainter257

Allenatore
Allenatore
Favorite Player
Lautaro
The only winner from this game is Milan.

But incase of our win. Thats a hell of a boost before Shakhtar. Then we go from there.
Milan is playing Fiorentina away, likely to lose. A chance to close the gap

bubba zanetti

Allenatore
Allenatore
Favorite Player
Chino Recoba
So far we have Dzeko, Barella, Vidal, Bastoni and De Vrij doubtful with injuries. Anyone else?

WTF!! Thats half our starting XI! Get Pintus back!
If there is one more player to get injury hope it will be Lautaro.

brightbackground

Prima Squadra
Prima Squadra
Kolarov, Ranocchia, Gagliardini, Vecino and Satriano against Napoli and Shakhtar

antonio-banderas-oh.gif

FairyTailed

Prima Squadra
Prima Squadra
Favorite Player
Beppe Marotta
Even with all of these players out, our line-up is still so highly speculative. Feels weird to be in this position.

1. Central Defence:
  • LCB: With a fit Perisic and Bastoni out, it will more than likely be Dimarco LCB. He has played there multiple times already this season, often as a sub for Bastoni.
  • RCB & CB: I think Ranocchia CB and Skriniar RCB are the most logical options. But in theory Skriniar could be slotted in the middle and Darmian/DD33 be used on the right. Last season we've also seen Bastoni played in the middle a couple of games when De Vrij was out. However, I do doubt that latter scenario. Ranocchia + Skriniar seems more stable and we know how well 2 fullbacks at wide CB went last year...

2. Central Midfield:
  • (C)DM: Brozovic.
  • LCM & RCM: Hakan, Vidal, Sensi, Vecino, Gagliardini? Vidal seems to have indicated he will get fit in time. But we aren't sure. We know from the past that Inzaghi often links Dimarco and Calhanoglu's presence to one another. They're both used as our best Free Kick and Corner takers. Inzaghi more often than not, has avoided having both on the field at the same time. With Dimarco being an almost sure starter, Calhanoglu might not be. Given the injuries however, we could easily expect both to play. Calhanoglu's form against Milan might also make him an instant lock-in, despite knowing his inconsistencies. If Vidal is fit, I expect: Calhanoglu LCM and Vidal RCM. If Vidal is not fit, my guess becomes harder. I still take Calhanoglu will be given the primary play making duties over Sensi. On the other hand, exchanging Barella for Gagliardini or Vecino as B2B midfielders, is hardly a replacement. Barella is just a does-it-all. Calhanoglu moreso has to fill Barella's shoes, than his own. Sensi + Calhanoglu will be too awkardly defensively. After consideration, I expect: Calhanoglu LCM and Vecino RCM.

3. Wingbacks:
  • LWB: Perisic.
  • RWB: This will also depend on Inzaghi's choice for the defense. God forbids he goes for double fullback at CB option - though I have faith in Mr. Clutch DD33. I honestly just expect Darmian to start here. Even if DD33 were to be used as an rcb. If Darmian however, is used as an RCB, I don't think Inzaghi will play DD33 on the wingback. We'll see... Dumfries.

4. Forwards:
  • LFW: Correa or Sanchez. It's a weird one. Sanchez is more reliable and consistent, but he cannot play for 90. He's also great to bring in against tired legs... Even though he might not like the idea of being a supersub himself. Part of me also still wants to give Correa more chances. I feel like I'm yet to see his dribbling abilities. I expect Correa to start, Sanchez to be subbed in. Likely as early as '60 replacing the underperforming attacker at that time. If we want to get really technical, Perisic could also play there, Dimarco LWB and then Skriniar and one of the fullbacks at the corresponding CB positions. But I do not see this happening (and I don't want it to happen as a starting formation).
  • RFW: Normally Lautaro plays on the left, Dzeko on the right. With Dzeko out, I expect Lautaro to slot more to the right. I think we've also seen this whenever Dzeko was subbed off for Correa/Sanchez and Lautaro was still on the pitch. Though this didn't happen often. Then again, with the profile of Correa and Sanchez, he could be very centrally as they like to drop down. Especially Sanchez. Correa does stick more to his left side, bit higher-up the pitch. Sanchez just goes full F9 mode.

All in all there's certainly a lot of options. For some of these picks I'm also basing myself on what Conte used to do last season, but he's a different trainer.

As a summary I expect:

Handanovic;Skriniar,Ranocchia,Dimarco;Brozovic;Darmian,Vecino/Vidal,Calhanoglu,Perisic;Lautaro,Correa

Doesn't look to great, but we can do it.

Puma

Allenatore
Allenatore
10 years of FIF
With the exception of qualification for the Champions League, a loss here and our defence of the championship will be done.

Bluenine

La Grande Inter
La Grande Inter
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
Transfer Guru
5 of our starting players down with injuries and a few others jet lagged from South America, and we got 9 games in a month coming up starting with crucial games against Napoli & Shakhtar. This is the time of the season we usually falter.

This will test our character, its the moment of truth for Inter.

Last edited:

CafeCordoba

Favorite Player
Toro, Barella
10 years of FIF
Yeah it definitely is.

Dzeko should be fine, let's hope De Vrij is too. Barella plays tonight, he has few days to rest before this match.

South-Americans come back bit later but nothing like the last break, there's at least 2 full days between their return and the match day.

Ethor

Allenatore
Allenatore
Favorite Player
Still here!
Forum Supporter
Hey now! This match is on the CBS Sports Network and on Paramount + @12:00pm EST in the US.

Bluenine

La Grande Inter
La Grande Inter
Favorite Player
Zanetti
10 years of FIF
Transfer Guru
Yeah it definitely is.

Dzeko should be fine, let's hope De Vrij is too. Barella plays tonight, he has few days to rest before this match.

South-Americans come back bit later but nothing like the last break, there's at least 2 full days between their return and the match day.

De Vrij is reportedly out for 10 days. The way our injury situation is, the South Americans will have to play even if they come straight from the airport for the game.

At the mo, I would happily accept 0-0.

CafeCordoba

Favorite Player
Toro, Barella
10 years of FIF
Lautaro and Correa played only one half each. Vidal played only 13 minute. :lol:

Sanchez injured, not available. De Vrij as said, not available.

Hopefully Dzeko and Bastoni will be fine to play, they didn't play single minute in the break so last time they played was 1,5 weeks ago in the derby.